Note from retired criminal

If you read some of my other more recent posts, you’ll read about me picking up a fight against:
-a Gnosis, in a Merlin
-a Garmur, in a Merlin
-a Dramiel and a stiletto, in a Merlin.

Win some, lose some. Those aren’t certain odds.

I still play to play… but everyone who played like that quit.

I worked my ass off to get even those crap odds.

I’m unsubbed now, got one of those VR headsets, having fun with it. Don’t anticipate coming back to a EvE…

1 Like

Which is why I said there aren’t too many of your sort left. Many don’t want to take that sort of risk, even if they think they have an edge in skill. Or they are unwilling to do it if they don’t have backup, or don’t have a prepped ship waiting in the closest station for a new try…

Personally getting attacked for the first time was the most exciting thing ever to happen to me in EVE. Just minding my own business, undocking from a station and BOOM! webbed and scrambled, having to fight! I even got away from it alive (with almost 60% of my armor left), more due to blind luck than “skill”. The pirate who did that provided me more content than any number of PvE events ever can!

2 Likes

Obligatory “make hisec dangerous again” inserted.

As a fellow retired criminal, I feel like the biggest downfall that CCP laid upon us was the Suspect timer for stealing loot. It made hisec safer for people dropping loot, which was intended (and I would even argue necessary), but it also made it far more difficult for those looking to steal that loot. The pendulum swung, but it swung too far.

I vaguely remember saying this when Crimewatch was first implemented, and I still stand by it, but I strongly feel that the Limited Engagement timer should have been expanded to allow application to corporations, and when you steal loot instead of going Suspect (i.e. universal aggression) you get a Limited Engagement with the entire corporation that the person owning the loot belongs to. Yes, even NPC corps.

Thieves are still discouraged, the aggrieved can still seek retribution, but the thieves don’t automatically become massive targets to people they didn’t do anything to harm. It allows thieves to better choose the terms of their engagement without expecting massive repercussions from players not otherwise involved.

But maybe that’s just me…

Risk/reward. Thieving/flagging is often times not worth the risk anymore outside of suicide ganking*, which is, I feel, a large part of why you see so much less hisec PvP in recent years.

*The one gaping problem with my suggestion is suicide ganking. Without suspect flagging of loot thieves, hauler alts for suicide gankers would have it even easier than they do now, which I don’t think they need. I have no solution to this issue.

2 Likes

While it would be easier for gankers to move loot, the re-introduction of a feasible “fun” mechanic would likely downsize the ganking issue just by pulling the crowd away from it.

It’s hard to gank a freighter when everyone is out flipping cans and giggling.

My thought… ganking was always a risk, but didn’t become a common thing until crimewatch denegrated the other forms of crime to a point where they weren’t worth the effort. Likely it would lose following…

1 Like

Go lowsec, and accept that some people want a part of the sandbox not so oriented towards PvP (in no small part to the gap in experience and character skills).

Or learn to suicide gank properly.

Ok,
Look, I’m trying to start a bar fight.

I like bar fights.

You people keep telling me to go join a boxing club because everyone there is cool with getting punched. I do acc pt that there are people in the bar who don’t want to be punched.

This is why the bar fight is interesting. It has a social buildup, usually some form of grudge, maybe a story, and lots of other foreplay. Then, when the fight breaks out, who really knows what will happen? It can go so many ways.

The boxing club is not social… it’s clearly this corner vs that corner, and here are the rules. Yes, it is still a fight, however… it’s meaningless due to the absence of a grudge. I find this to be less interactive, emergent, and fun.

I also don’t find ganking that entertaining…

I like being a thorn in the side of the 70% of the player base who wants to harvest isk forever with no risk.

4 Likes

But you are going into the bar with a sap when most are only sitting there and want a drink or talk.
You are going there with an advantage over most others.
The only “fair” fight is against these who brought a sap as well, because they want to fight too.

How could you call this a fair fight.

At least admit and say that you want to gank, and want a fight against player who are not prepared for PVP or who do not even know that they enter PVP with this can tripping.
The safty system just prevent player to enter a pvp state by accident (mostly not knowing that it will happen).

And saying they don’t lose much ist total crap. For a real newbie this ship might be all he has, or a loss of this might hurt his wallet really bad.

There is nothing bad with being the bad boy and just want to see tears and cause chaos. But at least stand for it and don’t hide it under some bad excuses.
You want to remove the safety switch so you can lure player into a PVP that they maybe didn’t want.

I feel like you didn’t read what I wrote.

First, I specialize in T1 frigates. Most people and corps can beat me if they choose and don’t make an undue number of errors.

Second, I don’t want to fight the peaceniks… but because there are no rough-house bars left in Highsec… that’s all that is left.

You see, roughhousing pretty much went away with the retribution patch. There used to be lots of other rough characters for me to fight.

When I log in now, it’s like logging into the suburbs where people are just going to work and back.

There used to be hundreds of fighters just like me in high sec and we spent a lot of time killing each other (and annoying the peaceful too).

I don’t like ganking and I’m not interested in tears. I like to bring drama for all to see and see where it goes… and the game is poorer for my absence in my opinion.

If you wanted a nice peaceful bar where you can talk and get along… that used to require a bouncer

3 Likes

dear mo
well what is unfathomable is why a lawful citizen gets a standing hit on podding criminals in npc corps
the corp has no skin in the game and neither does the criminal well lets not pony up together in crime
no lawbringer gameplay either

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.