Note from retired criminal

Same story. I want a dev to acknowledge it.

They need to know that they are funneling people into the wrong part of the game… and that they deleted the part of the game they should have been funneling people into.

Crime is real. Crime creates stories. Crime can be terrible, or funny, or great. It brings people together and splits them into groups. It’s interesting, and dark, and gritty.

Pvp is just popping ships. PvE is just grinding.

If I have the interest in me to keep this thread open, I’ll keep it open and current until a dev acknowledges it. I appreciate the help of those with a like mind and similar stories that need to be heard.

The new generation doesn’t even know what they missed.

Don’t even change the ships, but make petty theft corp specific aggro (not universal) and let a corp have a single war dec per week for 2 mil. Also, figure out a way for hunters to know if a target is online.

At least then the little criminals could exist again.

You don’t need to leave it open. Those times are gone. Memories are good though. It was the characters that played and made the stories. Now it’s overlords telling their zealots what to do. And don’t forget ccp and volunteers attempting to inject content. Is that cryptic?

Fair bit of chat lately in various areas about “Alphas going BS mining come December”. Some are obviously looking at working with a friend/hauler, others have been asking about jetcanning/secure container mining.

I’ve missed much of the thread lately, but does this open up any future potential for your nefarious deeds?

Or are BS just too scary for the can-flipping crowd?

Battleships are pretty scary, but sometimes I’m willing to accept some risk.

But, you know, I could show you a solo fight on my kB where I killed a thorax and two cormorants at the same time in a griffin (Cormie pilot died and came back). No help, no reps.

I could show you a fight where I killed a cyclone and drake at the same time in a vexor… could have gone badly, but didn’t. No help, no reps.

I even took down a Merlin, Moa, and Rokh at the same time in a hawk. I had someone bring me more ammo on this fight because I ran out, but once again, no reps.

My first kill was against a geddon I tackled in a Merlin… had to get help to close the kill because I didn’t have the DPS to do it (if you check the damage outlay, it’s crazy high because I worked on the guy for a long time).

That’s just solo stuff… my best fight ever was done in a 2 person team in a place called Osvest… you can find it on my killboard…

A guy named nolimit soldier and I took on a fleet of ~25… and killed better than half of them (to include two falcons).

If you count stuff where I had help, I’ve had lots of good uphill fights. I had the “mighty mouse” title on battleclinic for getting more than 10 cruiser kills in a t1 frigate, I think I was working on my 3rd award when I quit.

Why don’t you dig up a battleship and lets see if I can get up the gumption to face it?

Risk scares the hell out of me, but I might try something scary just this once.
Mo

I don’t believe that for one second.

They outsourced the criminal job to NPCs.

2 Likes

Yes they did. It’s a terrible error, you never outsource your customer retention department…

Ask anyone with an MBA… dozens of studies confirm. This is terrible policy.

Mr. Thworst! Would you mine with me?

Sure. What should I wear?

I’m a new player, been to Eve since late summer, so I’ve never experienced the “good ol’ days”. But from what I’ve seen, all kinds of criminal activity is still very much a thing in this game. Perhaps some things have been nerfed or whatever, but there’s still a lot of profit and fun to be had for many kinds of criminal activities. From a fresh player’s perspective, it’s a ball.

Mobadder,

Your efforts towards reform are inspiring to me. I would call myself an extremist when it comes to the griefer playstyle, and it seems as though you are the leading voice in the degayification of EVE. (You also mentioned that you were the CEO of the Orphanage; do you know anyone in PRONS?)

Anyways, I agree with everything that you’re saying, and I want to enunciate my support for your rhetoric.

When I first started the game, I started with a several IRL friends. They quickly quit, but EVE devoured my soul. I joined a mining corporation and made money by recruiting noobs to our corp (5mil per recruit). At one point, our corp got wardecced, and the wardeccers (Sovereign Infinity? I think?? Hard to recall) trapped us in our station. … The wardeccers were berating my CEO, taunting and mocking him… Accusing him of misleading us… Calling him a p***sy… telling all of us to quit the game… I remember thinking “My god this is MEAN”… I finally got triggered and called the wardeccers “f***gots” in local; I had no idea what was going on and it seemed like the only way to retaliate, since the CEO told us not to undock… They leapt on my reaction, daring me to undock and fight them, calling me names, everything… Despite my CEO’s warnings, I undocked in my Blackbird, my prized possession, my favorite hull (before CCP ruined it), and immediately got raped by a group of ships that I don’t even remember. It was over that fast. Then podded.

It was amazing.

I’d never had an experience like that in any other game. The power disparity. The anger. The bitter, caustic viciousness. The silent shame and frustration of my CEO. The helplessness of myself and the other noobs. The gloating glee of the attackers. It was real and human and visceral. I had already fallen in love with the game before that wardec (in the <week time that id played), but after that I developed an alarming addiction to it.

Less than a year later, I was in Project Nemesis. One of the most well known griefer corps in EVE history.

Now, I am unsubbed. I haven’t played seriously in more than 2 years. I logged in a couple times when it became free and killed some noobs around Hek, just stealing their loot cans… But High-sec has become rotten and stale… It’s not that low or nullsec are any better… Lowsec fights are utterly meaningless, and Nullsec alliances cannot be destroyed aside from inner incompetency… CCP has slowly taken away the power to douche other players… It has regressed as a game. It is very depressing, although I’m not surprised due to what I call the R*ddit Problem [“EVE has such a great communityXD noobs welcome:)) fanfest ftw!!!”]… I fear you’re fighting a losing battle, both against CCP shareholders and the gayified community…

But yeah. You’re doing God’s work.

-Abbot

3 Likes

Yeah, it may be a lost cause. I cancelled my subscription again the other night… something I’ve done many times now.

I’m bored again.

I was a CEO in the Orphanage… not the CEO. I was in it early in a corp callled Light Adama. It was fun early on when you could stilll get a fight.

I think that tag is familiar to me, but I can’t recall who they were.

Thanks for sharing your story. I understand and appreciate it.

Mo

I absolute agree with you. If high sec was safe, I will be sub. too…
I was playing EVE a lot before with 5 accounts and was playing mining role / explorer role, and enjoyed that a lot. Selling things I found on the marked and saving up stuff so I can make things.
But fid the game a lot unbalanced when the mining ships was to easy o “gank” and the NPCs was to slow in high sec. to defend when 3 or more “gankers” attacked your ship, so I decided to stop my subscribing until the game hopefully get, more balanced. I do not understand why the game cant have a PVP zone like in Low sec and null, and have a safe zone in high sec. Then the one that play the game can decide when or if that player what’s to risk the ship and go to low sec.

Here’s why:

The only reason a market exists where other players want to buy your stuff is because stuff gets destroyed, including in highsec. In my opinion the market, and the industrial game play it enables is the real draw of this game and this only works well if things are hard to get (require effort and/or risk) and the game features permanent loss.

Would you play Eve if no one would buy your things because, like you, they could gather and build whatever they want in complete safety? Maybe, but most people would not. They play for the sense of satisfaction of accumulating virtual assets and wealth which only have meaning because they are gained in competition with others, and can be lost, even taken by the other players.

The game balance is fine, probably still erring on the side of highsec being too safe for how lucrative it is for veteran players. There are mining ships, that when fit for defence require two dozen other players to explode at a massive cost in ISK to the attacking fleet. There are haulers that can do the same. If you don’t want to play the game because you can theoretically be attacked and you are not willing to accept any losses I get it, but if you really just want “more balance”, how many attackers should it take to explode your mining barge before you feel comfortable? Three dozen? 80?

If you enjoy the game, just use the tools to play it in the most defensive manner possible and you will have no problem. You will sacrifice some reward for reducing your risk, but making tradeoffs like that is at the heart of Eve. If you just want to solve a min-max puzzle in the absence of other competing players, or that have an ideal solution or are structured so you can become the best and have everything and flaunt it while dancing on a mailbox, maybe Eve isn’t really the game you want to be playing.

4 Likes

Hey Mo. I remember those times too. Pvp shenanigans in hi-sec was an awesome amount of fun. I haven’t logged on in years but your story makes sad reading.

2 Likes

Eve started it’s slow roll to hell with the crime watch changes. It’s been a death by lots of little cuts ever since then. And they wonder where the players went.

1 Like

I remember crossing the 50B profit threshold as one of the guys that makes T1 PvP affordable for the masses.

Alas, I took the easy path and did it in high sec.

The sort of PvP where someone can “win” something will usually move towards a lost cause over time. That other game has PvP servers, but they usually end up one-sided. People doing instanced PvP for more than just a few fights will find a group to maximize their chances. No one wants to be on the losing side. In EVE you have corporations and alliances instead, and joining a powerful one is preferable if you want to “win”.

It’s that risk aversion you mentioned earlier. Lone miners, haulers and what-have-you don’t take the bait because they (sometimes rightfully) suspect there’s reinforcements waiting to join. And there’s not that many troublemakers like you left because, well, same thing. Players post tough on forums, saying they’ll take any fight or blow up noobs just to see if someone responds, in the end most of them will back off if they aren’t sure they can win. They won’t actually attack a superior force, and they blew up the noob because he was an easy kill.

1 Like

Well we need a Ginger (but for less threatening irl), Tiller…have you ever seen his game center under the stairs? Miz? have not heard his name in ages. You still have MOD.

But really, CCP has cratered and given into the peeps that could not deal with the game as it was introduced, and those peeps that wanted change and got it…are long gone. Off to destroy another game platform in the name of social justice.

Nah, EvE has lost all the dark and cold space feels. It is now loaded with buttons and safety measures to protect the stupid.

Been a long time Starnap, hope you’re doing well.

For those who don’t know, Starnap was the CEO of the original Somali Coastguard… a group who I still hold as the golden standard of piracy in EvE.
Mo