Note from retired criminal

If it is set green, it won’t let you agress even a legal target.

That’s so noobs will realize they are taking a risk when they shooter someone and have to take the safety off.

I agree, it has a psychological affect and prevents fights. I do think there should be a warning for noobs, like the one they get when they try to go to lowsec.

Watch the video. The last few seconds in particular.

I stand corrected. You can engage suspects with it on green.

Good catch.

There are a lot of issues making people quit. One of the most obvious issue is dense over-opinionated fools. I recently made a new toon to play Alpha only to check if an Alpha players can survive. I had Newbie help open while doing the tutorial and even later on when doing some missions. What disgusted me is people (vet players, recruiting in noobchannel) that spout their “ultimate truth” and demean others.
Can you imagine someone coming right out of tutorial and setting a waypoint to a station one or two jumps away and autopilots there, being told he’s an idiot and it’s not allowed to do that. Then he does get wrecked and they tell him to… add more armor :slight_smile: to defend against bored PVPers with a bunch of disposable alts who do nothing else than crack open fully armored haulers like a piñata… so some do that only to be redissapointed (oh oh wait… to be more exited over this game filled with brilliant people) by the same or a comparative idiot shouting doctrines in newbro helpchat… It’s like religious extremists just spouting their 'do this or else" and if they get wrecked 'well, you probably offended God anyways…". This is not going to retain a lot of people. Yes people disagree but a lot of fittings can be used in different circumstances. A small part of the EVE Online community is untrustworthy and overopinionated and will agressively insult people that have different opinions or ways to play the game. This gives new players no incentive to advance and even makes some older players quit as they give up the fight against ‘convinsing insane people their view might be blurred or hurtful for the advancement of the game’.

I’m really the only one to see a chance. It’s frustrating. Everyone else feels powerless, helpless and believes there is nothing that can be done. I guess this comes from real life politics, where a lot of people seem to feel and think the same way.

In EVE, though, it’s easy. All it needs is gathering voices, by initiating them using adrenaline. I’ve written that down somewhere… lol the only guys who can actually create adrenaline, are people like you. Or me. I’ve initiated quite a few. Yes, i’m proud. :blush: There’s no PvE that does what we can do.

Most people get hooked on adrenaline. If you can build a corp, providing this instead of tears (thus attracting a better audience), and if you manage to keep out the ego trippers, then you’ll succeed. You’ll need help, though, from likeminded people.

See, the thing you’re not seeing, is that as long as you stop arguing with extremists on forums or in game, and as long as you make sure that your primary motive for playing “the villain” isn’t tears, then you are golden.

CCP adapts to what the players do. the problem isn’t solvable by a change of mechanics. First it needs a change of culture; back to the roots. And this happens simply by affecting new players. if you can grow a variety of corps with likeminded friends, then you can change culture over time.

All you actually need to provide them, is adrenaline and a dose of self responsibility, so they don’t just suck on your nipples. When their hands shake like washing machines, then they’re initiated, acting as future multipliers. :slight_smile:

I have it all worked out, believe me, but i can’t get my best friend to play, and no one else actually listens. Sorry, that’s just me. :blush: personally, for me, it’s not even about the time investment. I simply lack the leadership skills irl. i can do all kind of things, but i can’t deal with being locked around people all the time. I do not belong into groups. i’ve tried running corps, but it’s simply nothing i can work with. I feel like i had to add the disclaimer.

I will still try doing something, though. :blush:

PS: the window for opportunity is great, because a highsec expansion is coming, and it’s a major one with a great name as well! therefore they’ll put in some extra advertising! A fresh generation of pilots is coming! Just remember to avoid the trippers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like you and I admire your spirit.

However, IRL I have been a professional leader for a long time.

The truth I’ve come to see is that systems control behavior and culture. When you find yourself trying to breathe energy into a program or activity, it’s usually because there is a systemic function killing it. Whether it’s in-game or work, the correct thing to do is take the life support systems off self-killing systems and let them die… or change them at a systemic level so that they can live under their own power.

You cannot change culture or behavior unless you change your systems. Those are the keys to everything.

The system in place has murdered high-sec PvP. No quantity of energy you can exert is going to bring it back. Even if you could, the system is destroying it actively… you can’t build faster than it’s inexorable destruction.

There are a few proponents out there trying to breathe life into it still, but they’ll lose in time.

CCP has to change the system to create a result. It truly is the only way… and culture and behaviors will follow.

Reference Andy Stanley for some good systems based discussion… it’s a legit and efficient way to approach/think about organizational change… I’ve done this professionally for years… it all starts with the system… we adjust to it.

And here we disagree. Due to sidestepping the system by injecting adrenaline, one can create multipliers, who will themselves create multipliers. Several corps, covering different aspects could all work on changing the culture, by taking the children out of CCP’s hands. These corps would be famous by default, and that’s what would drive the change forward.

The system in place can be ignored, once a certain point of popularity has reached. To cover a wider range of people, several corps covering several aspects, need to be created. Later members splitting, creating their own versions, should be encouraged.

Most people seem to be unaware that CCP adapts to social shifts or new ways of doing content and sometimes adapts mechanics towards them, or creates a whole new feature based on it.

Really, sorry, it’s doable. :slight_smile: it just takes many monthd, or a year or more, depending on how effectively the corps would be at using given momentum. :slight_smile:

Everything is a system. Every system contains subsystems, which contain even more subsystems. Touch the right ones, sidestep others, and you’re golden. :slight_smile:

Your spirit is broken, and therefore you will argue against me. I understand that completely, but it doesn’t change the fact, that a system can be observed and changed by those who look at it from an outside perspective. :slight_smile: hey, i know my ■■■■ too! got plenty of experience. :blush:

back to the roots. Get them hooked on adrenaline, Mr. Mo. The more corps, concepts and contests, the better. the more advertising and hype, the better. All based on adrenaline. It’s a clear winner. :slight_smile:

Just keep out the ego trippers, otherwise you’ll destroy it all. Mainstreaming this will not end well if done unproperly. We had such a situation already, and the executing parties failed to provide the intelligence required. Ego tripping assholes. vOv

My friend Mooses would be perfect for the job, but he doesn’t want to play. Can’t blame him, it’s hard work. He was a director of KarmaFleet and other stuff.

Anyhow, i’ve said so much, there is nothing to add. maybe someone picks it up, but this time actually gives credit. :blush:

btw… do you know if there are secure cans which never expire, once anchored?

3 Likes

I think they all expire, but I’m not sure about that.

I bed someone else will answer that one for sure.

Good luck to you, I appreciate what you are trying to do.
Mo

1 Like

A green safety stops people from unintentionally gaining a suspect flag or the attention of Concord; not from shooting suspects and criminals who are freely engageable regardless of the safety setting of anybody that wishes to shoot them in the face.

Here’s the appropriate help desk article.

So you’re saying… People… don’t have any player fantasy of logging in and being someone’s victim?

1 Like

you’re not too familiar with caldari roleplayers? :grin:

Are you talking bad about Caldari? If so, reduce your ingame standings with them for 0.01 for your naughty post!

1 Like

No, master, i’m a good boy! (please punish me)

let’s… just stop right there. :smiley:

1 Like

Obviously and unfortunately CCP is not going to go and roll back Crimewatch any time soon. I think there are a number of things plaguing EVE that are sort of being discussed in this thread. I think the big point is that player interaction is way down. While I like looking at the old day with nostalgia, the more productive thing is to come up with some solutions. The first step is discussing them, then hopefully something takes hold.

Highsec feels emptier than ever…this I think is due to a few factors. Missions hubs being broken up is one factor, the reduction in concentrated mission places has made hi-jinks around missions harder to find. The whole can flipping debate being discussed here. Wardecs are too easy to avoid by corp hopping and awoxing has been rendered dead by no friendly fire flag.

Idea 1: Reduce highsec systems greatly by turning them into lowsec. Make the empires have moats of lowsec around them but also force everyone into closer proximity. Possibly introduce a way to make resources (missions/mining/anomalys/cosmic sigs) deplete thereby giving people a reason to fight over. This has been suggested many times

Idea 2: introduce a new ship/module class (ie T4, whatever) and make the resources needed to make it only gatherable in highsec, but in order to harvest them you will need to go suspect. Adding a very valuable resource that encourages people to fight over might be interesting.

Idea 3: Revamp corporations and encourage more players to get into them. Increase taxes in NPC corps to push people out eventually by penalizing the longer you are in, the higher your tax rate climbs. New player? 6 months at 10%, then it begins to climb to max of 25% by the end of a year. Add the ability to create and switch corps between different corp types…

• S-corp - ( limited number of members, immune to wardecs, no structure anchoring, some tax goes to npc 10%?, members can come and go as they please, can’t create or join alliances)

• LLC - ( can only be decced by 1 corp at a time for a limited time 2 weeks? then have a cool down where you are free from decs, can have more members, lower npc tax rate 5%, can anchor limited number of astrohus but no engineering complexes, members can leave during war but get a 48hr war flag with the original war dec, can’t create or join alliances)

• INC ( full corp as we see now, no NPC tax, can anchor all structures, members can leave at any time during a war but keep a war flag for 1 week after leaving or until the original dec drops which ever is shorter)

Included in this idea is allowing there to be meaningful surrender options for wars. Have multiple ways to surrender/end a war with different results (ie surrender for 200M isk and we won’t be able to dec you again for 6 months, the aggressor wants to end a war? the surrender must be agreed upon by the defending corp). The terms being fully customizable and allowing for things like tributes, giving up of stations or items. If someone breaks the terms the other side gets a free war that lasts for some longer length, maybe twice what the original war lasted.

I’m just suggesting things here, obviously there are holes in these ideas, posing them more as a conversation starter than anything. But I do agree with Mo that Highsec needs some life breathed into in the form of new mechanics that encourage interaction between players.

I’m forever opposed to the idea that any sort of player corp should be immune to wardecs.

Here’s some of my old ideas for reinvigorating the social aspect of highsec:

1. Flush people out of NPC corps by adding more role-play elements to those corps. Have them frequently change standings in ways that affect NPC corp members. Imagine the Caldari Navy placing an embargo on your NPC corp for a week and suddenly not being able to dock in Jita 4/4.

2. Make corporation membership meaningful. These new Resource Wars are a great example of this: What if they were closed off to NPC corp members? The rewards for such activities would be limited to those people who stepped out and interacted with others (or made their own solo corp).

3. Make it harder to close/leave a corporation, especially during war. I know what some of you will say…“But Floppie, that’s just because you like wardecs and don’t want your targets able to just quit corp.” Back in 2011, The Skunkworks became moderately notorious for our Incursion griefing antics. As a result, billions of isk were spent dropping every merc alliance in Eve on us in an attempt to stop it. We responded by docking up, dropping corp, and continuing our shenanigans until CCP patched logi aggression transfer into oblivion. It was trivial for us to leave corp for the duration of those wardecs and return when it suited us. In a game where the developers constantly tell you how your actions have consequences, one major consequence–war–is utterly irrelevant.

2 Likes

for all three points i am missing why you’d think they’d work, and how they’d work out. that’s an essential part, could you add them?

1 Like

Well thought out post and plausible ideas.

I hope someone from CCP reads. To me, it doesn’t need to be can flipping, but interaction.

We have lost the interaction. Can flipping was an example, but there are good examples here.

I am opposed to a new tier of ship. I think T3 is game breaking already. T2 worked with drawbacks and absence of true insurance coverage… the t1 ships remained relevant. But t3 has no drawback, is similarly priced to t2, and beats t1 and t2 at everything.

If I was in charge tomorrow, I’d dump T3s in a heartbeat. However, I love the idea of pve sending people suspect. That could devolve into my kind of pandemonium.

+1, good post

Good ideas floppy, but I contest one thing.

I loved war decs back then too, but I think that was the mechanic that broke the camel’s back.

There need to be some changes around that even still.

It’s too easy for a mining corp to be wardecced for weeks on end… and whether I think it’s smart or not, they all dock up and stop playing.

You stop playing for 3 weeks and it’s not that much of a stretch to quit. I would support some kind of limit to the liability these corps face in open war such that they still feel pain, but not on the scale of what we used to mete out.

To quote CCP Tuxford trolling from years ago…

“In New Eden, everyone’s at war from the start and you have to declare PEACE!”

That’s something worth building up on and fits the game much better, compared to the other way round. All these ideas about changing parts of the gameplay are effectively useless, or making it worse, because the issue is not one of mechanics anymore, it’s a cultural one.

■■■■ wardecs. Remove them. Turn the system around and let those, who want to opt out, opt out. THEN one can find mechanics for getting people to force others to opt-in. Much easier.

Wow, this is worth looking at! Thanks for reminding me of the quote!

:slight_smile:

Why? Just make player corps not suck, oh right, can’t program that. Sorry.

So even more solo corps? Force people to have 3 alts over 2 accounts in seperate solo corps to avoid them to play with you? Maybe you should change how you are playing as everyone is trying to stay clear of you…

They probably leave due to what? Wardecs? No they leave because they are like the local Iraqi Farmer that gets Wardecced by an alliance of trained vets. Nobody will die in the end, it’s worse, people will suffer. Well, not on your side, but the players you like to wreck and pod over and over probably don’t like it.

How is it possible you can’t get people interested in PVP? Game mechanics? Seriously, how bad is PVP that newbros are staying as far away from it as possible? Or is it 2 or 3 guys in a player crop you also want to in the PVP? Because i’m very exited about YOUR SANDBOX where everyone HAS to play THE WAY YOU like it AND NO OTHER WAY.

How would you feel if you played a game and mentally ill people came to bother you with how they think you should play it? Bleepedy blank bleep off and play your PVP, don’t tell me lowsec and null and wormholes don’t have PVPers. They have organised PVPers, how about I don’t FORCE you to join them and you don’t force PVE addicts to do PVP ?

I really get upset when I read posts where SaltMiningEvilGankers post. If you feel upset by my post, I’ll give a hug and I’ll tell you i’m sorry. Mkay?

2 Likes