Odd market behaviour in Omber trading

@LouHodo Good point, but it’s actually people kept updating their prices (increasing) and placing new orders on top of it.

That’s what I was thinking looking at the Basic omber buy price

but compressed omber is 0.3 m3 and golden omber is 0.3 m3 , they’re the same volume, and there’s quite alot of ppl selling golden omber tho,

I think you seriously under estimate the volumes of ore required for large scale production.

I am far from being a large scale industrialist, and when I am putting my lines into full scale production I require roughly 2 billion in ore per day to keep them running. I can make a profit on the regular ores, yes I can make more of a profit on the higher content ores, but if they take twice as long to fill, then I run the risk of not hitting my quota and having one or more of my lines shut down.

because of that I ALWAYS place my main ore orders in the base ores, because those will fill the most reliably. that drives higher demand for the main ores.

omber is a special case because it has naturally low trade volume, this is because per m3 it has the lowest mineral content of any ore. it is also not used often since the only time you might by omber over one of the other isogen containing ores is if you have a massive surplus of everything else. this leads to low demand, which in turn leads to lower supply, because miners are not going to focus on ores that don’t sell quickly.

this low volume makes the omber market particularly susceptible to the pressures I mentioned above. and in turn, drives the value of the base ore up disproportionate to the higher value ores. which creates a cycle where the few miners who do mine omber, will focus on the base ores for more isk/hr, which reinforces the trend.

OP, you are also forgetting to take into account high sec mineral -> compressed ore calculators generally work only in the 100% base type ores. Some people will be savvy enough to make sure they are buying cheaper alternatives but others are happy to copy/paste a buy all ore order because as long as you know your costs you can easily turn a profit in null sec markets where there’s much less competition.

Are you sure about that or is that a possible theory?

@Bjorn_Tyrson
Where not even talking about placing orders here, what we are talking about is that half of the orders placed can be instantly filled with ores from sell list of gold and silver omber.
The only thing you have showed so far is people don’t want to wait for months, when that’s proven not right, people don’t want to wait for days, when proven that’s not right, you say people don’t want to wait for hours because their freighter schedule, when proven that’s not right because you could get it instantly you say it doesn’t work with their planning mode.

I can’t wait for your next theory

it’s just laziness of the busy man. there are always inefficiencies in the market, no matter how free or competitive. you’ve found one and ruined it for yourself. when youre calculating all these p/l margins for scores of items, you are only worried about keeping your lines full of profitable runs in the end. one may assume that golden omber is as rare and sought after on the market as it is in a belt(if you mine omber lol). so you calculate to regular omber’s prices to satisfy a worst case scenario when you run out of golden omber. you come to the conclusion that regular omber is good enough and you come to buying time. you just dont feel like calculating if golden omber is worth it. you’d be wrong, as is everyone else in this thread… until now. what you should have done is keep that secret to yourself and abused it for a 2%profit gain on whatever item you were building. now everyone knows, and golden omber’s price will rise to match its true value.

:ok_hand:

Are these possible theories of yours or are these facts, do you have any evidence in that case?
As much as I respect your ‘opinion’ I’m not sure if you are saying this is fact, or you try to explain this in case it’s not market bots.

Neither of us can “prove” it is bots with the information we currently have. Trying to prove a negative is an exercise in futility. It could honestly be a bit of both. I know for a fact how I play the market can be lazy sometimes. isk per effort > isk per hour

yup, it remains a hassle, sometimes you just scratch your head and wonder what kind of human would do that

I think someone missed “economy 101”… He meant market volume (# of units being sold) not the spatial volume of the items.

You guys are still arguing about this? isn’t this topic dead already long time ago?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.