Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

What have I said about expecting better? A great way to find out people don’t meet your expectations.

2 Likes

Note the lack of denial…

1 Like

He would need permission from his wife before he could.

1 Like

Like Arrach Sarum, for example.

It’s worth reminding everyone this is the same publication that quoted an anonymous source as saying my Grandfather was poisoned, despite extensive evidence to the contrary.

I’m still looking at options for dealing with that particular piece of salacious rumour mongering, and I hold very low stock in the efficacy of their ‘reporting’ from that. The Gutter Press level of further quotes only serves to strengthen my suspicions.

2 Likes

It is not Gutter Press that is the source of these… things.

I would suggest it is more of the calibre of “journalism” that one could expect from the Ves-Sefris Informer, you know, the one that pegs itself as the “truthful Kingdom news”.

1 Like

And in fact the rumors seem to have been proven wrong already.

4 Likes

Cheap bar talk proven to be the sum of its contents once more.

1 Like

As it turns out, yes indeed.
It was most unbecoming of me to compare Gutter Press’ innocent kind of gossip to what can now safely be called dropping lit matches into a powderkeg, courtesy of The Scope.

1 Like

Oh, don’t say that, Else! People listen to you.

This is exactly the kind of idea my predecessor had about our existence, but what it justified to her was …

It’s not reasonable to expect that a soldier and a farmer will behave the same; nor is it reasonable to expect a human and a slaver hound to obey the same rules. If we’re something only once-human, we don’t have to follow human rules, either.

Then, also, it’s never a good idea to let humans define you as being something other than human. Humans have enough trouble feeling a kinship even with other humans if they happen to be from other peoples and places.

You see why this is a problem? We can argue definitions, but definitions are mobile, words and stories are adaptable, and defining ourselves outside the circle of humanity is likely to get a lot of people hurt. Likely including us.

2 Likes

Don’t tell my kin’s myths in a thread about Minmatar customs and legends because you could not deal with similar ideas? Yea I don’t think that’s how any of this works

Also, human ghosts are still human, as are ancestors gone ahead. I said nothing about being outside of the circle of humanity, that is your extrapolation.

3 Likes

It’s a problem inherent to redefining ourselves as something mythic, Else. Stories have power.

It’s good if your culture doesn’t see the spirits of dead humans as no longer human, but does it really have no stories about vengeful specters or starving souls whose surviving families disregarded their duties?

My predecessor thought of herself as a vengeful specter. It’s how she justified kinslaying-- far from remorse, she took satisfaction in avenging herself on those she’d died to prove herself to. She was, in her own words, a curse on her family. That’s something she could justify being only because she considered herself dead.

I didn’t say you shouldn’t tell your kin’s myths. I said that analogizing us to them is something to maybe consider not doing. There are people who analogize us to all kinds of mythic stuff; gods and demigods seem especially popular. I don’t think any of it’s a good idea. It doesn’t stop me talking about myths at all, or enjoying stories. But self-identifying as something out of them … that’s where I kind of go, “Okay, can we maybe not?”

2 Likes

You do not get to tell me anything about my people’s myths being harmful, collaborator.

2 Likes

A truth stands independent of its speaker, Else. I’m not attacking you or your people right now; just pointing out a problem you might want to consider: that analogizing capsuleers to mythic beings is a dangerous practice.

I can no more silence you than you can silence me. But I think you should think this through.

1 Like

And I think you are condescending af and blind to your own problems while you want to tell everyone else theirs.

4 Likes

Its why, I think, as Aria knows in the Society’s main quarters, I insist on a capsuleer only space for the bar, common area, and kitchen. No servants, robots, slaves, employees, whatever else, to do their bidding. The capsuleers have to cook their own food to share with others. The capsuleers have to pour their own drinks or drinks for their fellows in the fellowship. The capsuleers need, to clean up. Sometimes I bake cookies, and the space has the smell of home cooking.

A reminder of their essential humanity. Some of our sojourners passing through and former members of the Society have oddly enough have told me that this, more than the chapel, the prayers, the scripture, has left a mark on them, in a good way.

A silly thing perhaps, but in silly things ideas can lay foundation and I hope to try to counter the sense that they are “gods” or “inhuman” or “transhuman” and put then back in touch with their own personal humanity and the humans in whose world we are gifted to fly among.

Off topic I know, but that’s the point of this thread I guess, so I’ll leave this here and go away.

6 Likes

Or be lazy and use the vending machine. I totally use the vending machine.

3 Likes

But you’re still the one pushing the button, taking it out and pouring the drink into a glass (if you do) and throwing it away :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oof! You got me. Except for the pouring. Soda from the can is fine.

2 Likes

With respect, Ms. Jenneth, I don’t think Captain Rhiannon said her clan sees capsuleers as inhuman. I think a better way of describing it would be between-worlds.

We are still human, and chained to our humanity, but no longer a part of our original existence. It doesn’t imbue us with any extra powers other than that we have experienced death.

…of course, I’m also extrapolating here, and I’m not familiar with her clan’s customs, but she does seem to be saying that humanity is still part of the deal.

1 Like