Okay I have a few lore Questions

(Jennifer Austin) #1

How does a capsuleer enter and exit a pod and can a capsuleer your walk around the bridge of Orca and get out of his pod when he’s on the ship or even a porpoise because they’re pretty big ships (( hypothetically speaking))

(Rivr Luzade) #2

A pod is only being opened on a station or structure. You cannot leave your pod while on a ship. And if you could, your ship would lose 90% of it’s capabilities because it would be piloted by inefficient, inexperienced and ill-educated beings instead of a single, perfectly adapted and dedicated brain.

(Jennifer Austin) #3

thank you

(Nana Skalski) #4

Pod can be entered and left while in the ship. Design doesnt make it impossible. First test by Caldari State was just a guy walking into capsule from inside of the ship and then capsule was filled with fluid. Of course there was and always is security in place. Ship systems can function even while capsuleer have left the ship, but its not possible to operate capsuleer ship navigational and PEG systems by limited crew only, while capsuleer doesnt pilot the ship. Ships without capsuleers but with full crew can function normally.

(Bjorn Tyrson) #5

As with most things in eve lore. It depends. In theory Yes, we have at least one chronicle example, and given the insane wealth of capsuleers you could always handwave that some custom modifications got made to allow it.

Due to space constraints it would be less likely in something like a frigate or destroyer, but cruiser size and up. Or an orca like you mentioned should be possible in theory. Especially if the orca is just sitting there giving boosts.

The real question though is WHY would a capsuleer do it? Their pod is their immortality, and if you are undocked then you are in theory actively doing things. It would be like putting an RV on cruise control and going to make a sandwich. Bad idea 99.99% of the time.
I can’t think of anything so damned important that isn’t taken care of by the pod that couldn’t wait a couple hours until docked.

(Melisma Ramijozana) #6

Ships in which the pilot can leave the capsule do exist. Lore reference: Cross-capsule variant

I agree with Bjorn, though–a capsuleer walking around the ship would negate every benefit of the capsule. The pod is what allows the capsuleer to navigate the ship via mind. And the only way that the capsuleer’s mind can be transferred to a medical clone upon pod death is if the capsuleer is hooked up to the pod at the moment of pod breach. If s/he was walking around the ship when the ship was destroyed, s/he would die just like any other person.

(Teinyhr) #7

IIRC in some Dev post ages ago it was said battleship size and up could have enough space for a pod gantry and related machinery.

But it is exactly as you said, a capsuleer really shouldn’t have any reason to leaver their pod while in space.

(Bjorn Tyrson) #8

Yeah. Battleship could def do it. Cruiser sized I assume COULD do it. But probably not something that comes standard and would need customization.

Only time i could see it coming up from an RP perspective. Would be say docking at a backwater station that doesn’t have it’s own pod services, a BS would probably have the room/equipment to get the pilot in or out. Or the pilot going planetside discreetly from orbit.

But those are more story driven things outside the scope of general operations

(Zander Exvirus) #9

Thats why NPC’s are so easy to fight compared to other capsuleers.