openSUSE and framerate

Hello fellas,
I am quite confident that my NVIDIA drivers are well installed on my opensuse laptop. However, I cannot get more than 10fps no matter how I set the graphics.

I have integrated intel graphic card as it is a laptop and is supposed to be used for power saving when running on battery.

It totally looks like EVE is using the intel chip instead of the nvidia one.

I have no clue how to check and solve that.

Help and suggestions would be much appreciated.

1 Like

First thing you need to do is to identify, which of the GPU drivers is doing the rendering. You do this with the glxinfo command:

$ glxinfo|grep version
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 396.18.11
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 396.18.11
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 396.18.11
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
    GL_EXT_shader_implicit_conversions, GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix, 

SUSE is RedHat-based afaik, so I cannot tell you where to find the command. The package for Debian-based distros is called mesa-utils.

Thanks for the reply,

I don’t have Nvidia mentionned anywhere. I guess it is software accelerated, which is not good.

server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
    Max core profile version: 3.3
    Max compat profile version: 3.0
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.0.5
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 17.0.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00

I will make more reseaches about how to fix the drivers and make the system use the discreet GPU.

Thank you for your support.

It means that you don’t have the MESA components for Nvidia installed, or, that an update has overwritten it.

This seems to be a good link to follow:

https://news.opensuse.org/2017/09/20/new-repository-caters-to-tumbleweeds-nvidia-users/#more-20559

Hi, sorry for the late reply

I have noticed that my laptop is using the integrated Intel graphics instead of the Nvidia discreet GPU. I have tried to install Bumblebee and in another attempt optimus, but both failed.

I plan to experiement other installation techniques such as disinstalling the drivers for the Nvidia card before installing optimus.

I am quite confident that I will solve this issue in the near future.

1 Like

Well, almost two months later, I’ve solved my problem. openSUSE will never work well with optimus setups, because they don’t want it to work.

So, I went to Manjaro Linux, and installed Nvidia drivers that works all the time, just like on a desktop. I don’t need to run on the battery anyways. Didnt install Eve on it yet, but I’ve played other games and it works just fine.

Bumblebee is a dead project, Nouveau drivers is a dead project. Only way is to use the proprietary driver of the hardware and use Prime to manually switch, but there will still be the logout bug into the Nvidia drivers. So you have to relog each time you want to switch the GPU.

There is no other way around at the moment, unless you manage to code it by yourself. If so, the Linux community will be, for the most part, very happy if you’d share it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.