Making a post because this was significantly more difficult than anticipated.
Goal was to upgrade from already functioning Mint 19.3 system with Eve perfectly working from Steam. Unplugged Nvidia 750 TI card, installed Radeon RX 590 card.
- Manually used synaptic to remove all the nvidia thingies. A little annoying.
- Radeon card running perfectly with open source drivers; no install required.
- Launch Eve to experience the glory - damnit. nothing. zero. Buggered about for a couple of hours.
- Finally succumbed to the need for a PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kisak/kisak-mesa
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386
- Reboot - Poof the funzies are back.
Previous card docked in citadel with everything on: 112 fps
Previous card undocked outside citadel with everything on: 80 fps
New card docked in citadel with everything on: 290 fps
New card undocked outside citadel with everything on: 144
Still isn’t perfect:
- Eve fps monitor is reporting that it is a slightly older RX480; but lets face it the entire 500 line is garbage repackages so maybe this isn’t much of an error at all.
- I seem to have gotten a bit hamfisted with the nvidia purging. It listed a lot of things eligible for autoremove. Since I wasn’t intending to remove all my gstreamer and other mesa items, I did some copy and pasting from the terminal back into a apt-get install xxxxxxxx . This stopped future me from going hell yeah autoremove!