Please critique my Alpha L4 Rattlesnake and Gila

I don’t know either.

The more shiny ships out there in space the better, if you ask me. Especially if they’re deploying MTUs :smirk:

1 Like

You are probably going to lose a lot of Geckos if you are deploying them 80Km from the ship - and they aren’t cheap. Might be better to look at a pure missile boat like the Raven or the Caldari Navy Issue battleships.

Tank is ok now I reckon as long as you correctly predict incoming damage types. Others here are correct though 80km is a long way away to place a 100 Million ISK drone that doesn’t fly very fast.

I’m considering switching to a drone-only Gila instead… Maybe it would solve a lot of problems? Tank modules could be the same as the Rattle fit, but using an Afterburner that can be constantly run so signature and speed would help with tank, going for close range medium drones that fly faster. Would lose missile damage but drone damage would be basically the same as the Rattlesnake.

can you simulate this fit

rattle sneak
[Rattlesnake, pve MSB rapid heavy]
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Damage Control II
Ballistic Control System II

Gist X-Type EM Ward Field
Large Micro Jump Drive
Pithum A-Type Medium Shield Booster
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
Gist X-Type Thermal Dissipation Field
Republic Fleet Target Painter
Pithum C-Type Adaptive Invulnerability Field

Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher II
Small Tractor Beam II

Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Large Capacitor Control Circuit II
Large Warhead Flare Catalyst I

Gecko x2

Caldari Navy Inferno Heavy Missile x3000
Scourge Precision Heavy Missile x3000
Inferno Precision Heavy Missile x3000
Scourge Fury Heavy Missile x3000
Inferno Fury Heavy Missile x3000

Alphas cannot use MJDs.

ouch. then remove it ? you can fit a 100mn later.

The important points are:

• painter instead of omni+guidance. saves slots, and the rigs means the guidance will be subject to stacking penalties.
  • RHM instead of cruise. better application, same DPS, a bit less range though.
  • 3 (actually 4 considering the DC) mods dedicated to resists
  • large cap battery(republic is cheap one and yet best one ) to increase the rs cap.

BTW you can replace a DDA by an omni in low, though not optimal(who cares about gecko range ?)

Ok, but the fit is also missing rigs.

what do you mean ?
There are three rigs on the fit I provided.

Derp, didn’t scroll down, sorry.

Stats with maximum alpha skills:

alphas can’t use T2 AB ?
100MN afterburner II

also… yes, remove that 3rd ballistic and put a cap mod.

Also if you fly this, consider adding 5 small drones to kill frigs. destroyers will pop in 1-2 volleys , vr in 4 and BC in 3 I think - use your drones for frigs and bs.

Thanks, your fit suggestion does look pretty good.

And nope, no T2 prop mods for Alphas.

This whole topic has made me rethink the Rattlesnake for Alphas. No access to MJD or sentry drones makes it a lot more difficult to fit and fly, and all fittings seem to have too many disadvantages in my opinion. A passive tanked Gila might be a more “Alpha-sized” option for a fraction of the price (or blingy if the pilot wants):

[Gila, L4 Alpha Gila]

Republic Fleet Large Shield Extender
Republic Fleet Large Shield Extender
Pith X-Type Kinetic Deflection Field
Pith X-Type Thermal Dissipation Field
‘Inception’ Target Painter
Domination 10MN Afterburner

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Light Missile
Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Core Defense Field Purger II

Hammerhead II x2

What is the disadvantage of the fit I gave previously ? It should be around 1k DPS, I really don’t think the gila can do as much. Also the tank should be sufficient if you don’t aggro the whole room.

I think the biggest disadvantage of that RS (or most other RS fits I could come up with ) is its very slow moving speed but no MJD or enough range to compensate. It will need to approach targets veeeery slowly a lot of the time, not to mention acceleration gates. Fitting a MWD to compensate for that would create another problem with capacitor/signature radius.

Your RS does have 1047 DPS compared to the Gila’s 655 (or 749 in bling version). However, the RS has a drone range of 40km, weapon range of 35km and speed at 276 m/s, compared to the Gila’s drone range of 60km, weapon range of 23km (meant for frigates and destroyers), and speed at 635 m/s (744 m/s in bling version).

Part of the problem here is of course the Alpha clone’s limited access to a lot of the skills that make things easier, such as weapons range, drone speed, damage application, etc. They can only get Missile Bombardment to 4 and Projection to 2, for example. A character with perfect missile range skills would have a missile range of over 47km with your fit, but and alpha can’t get more than 35km.

For full clear : wrong weapons
For blitz : wrong ship

@Zola_Kado your post is not very helpful.

you have fury, precision, and CN missiles to adapt to the range and the sig radius . Sure it take ages to switch, but I think I have around 60km with my skills, and I only switch amos when I hit a reload.

the speed is not an issue, you just need to approach the gate with ab on.

that fit relies on you painting the rats to aggro them, thus make them come close to you while you slowboat to the acceleration gate.

IMO the main issue is that the tank is still low.

I think you should try several fits on the tranq test server to check how L4 behave.

With CN missiles an Alpha would get 46km with your fit. I think when that’s your maximum weapon range for L4s, it does become an issue, at least considering the L4s I’ve run so far. Even with TPs on them, some BSs will just maintain their sniping range. Those that do approach you will do so at BS speed (slow). Meanwhile the RS is almost stationary.

If you want full clear, you dont choose the slowest weapon system (heavy drone) and the most cost inefficient missile system, what is annoying to use (RHML).

For blitz RHML is good, but not on the slowest BS.

well RHML T2 has better sustained applied DPS than cruise for an alpha in L4, I think.
It also has selectable therm|kine damage type (unlike lasers).
I agree on the annoying room usage. For the price however I think T2 fury are very good.

Also OP said he wants full clear, no blitz.

which are they ? I had no issue at that range, I think the worse are the caldari/mordu bs but they are so slow that I can send the gecko on them after I killed frigs and des.
But I agree it can become boring.Well that’s why people do blitz : after a while most missions become boring.

L4 is not about raw dps. Thats why you dont see Vindicators or TFI everywhere (they both have over 2k dps).
RHML have annoying room usage, and you will be annoyed even more after 100 or 200 missions. And this is pve not pvp. You want maximum possible profit. RHML will waste a lot of time and salvos for you (if you shot some distant target), thats a waste of money. But if the topic about “can L4 be done in RS with this fit”, and you dont care about anything else, then the answer is yes.