PLEX is very expensive right now thread

1. The myth that “All PLEX is paid for”, is not true, or at least cannot be confirmed as true.

2. Seeing as PLEX price continues to rise, it can be deduced that demand is outstripping supply, and that people are infact not buying more PLEX from CCP, or at least not at an increasing rate commensurate with the increase in PLEX value.

3. We have always “assumed” that the higher the value of PLEX in isk, the more PLEX will be bought from CCP, but we dont actually have any evidence of that. Infact the market evidence indicates the opposite.

I’ve seen many try their best to respond to your viewpoint. It seems that some of us have a different understanding of how Plex works.

One can only push their point so much before it becomes “agree with me or we will fall out”.

If you are secure in your knowledge salvos you should be calm and happy. Take it easy.

2 Likes

Yes, it seems we will have to agree to disagree.

Did i mention already that PLEX are still way too cheap?

1 Like
  1. no one cares
  2. no, that does not follow and the amount of PLEX traded speaks a completely different story. There is no problem with PLEX. ISK just has less value compared to $ this days.
  3. no one cares

Nonsense.
You now get more isk per dollar for a PLEX than ever before.

Before you had to buy multiple PLEX to sell ingame for the same isk value you now get for just one full PLEX purchase.

This, btw, also points towards there being less incentive to buy more PLEX from CCP, even when PLEX value rises ingame.

PS: I care. Thus its not true that no-one cares.

Which means that ISK now has less value compared to $. That is why you get more ISK per $. It seams like you have trouble grasping the most basic concepts, no wonder this discussion goes nowhere.

You care about stuff that not matters in this discussion, which you fail to understand.

1 Like

No. The exact opposite.
PLEX is now worth more in isk, per dollar, than ever before.
As Teckos has shown, isk value has not inflated. The purchasing power of isk has not dropped significantly.

Before, I would have had to buy several PLEX from CCP with cash, to get the same isk value ingame as I would now with the purchase and re-sale of a single full PLEX.

Now I only need one cash purchase of PLEX for the same isk return.
Before, I needed several.

You have it completely backwards.

We do, but heavily regulated.

Which in other word means that ISK lost value compared to $.

How hard can it be…

I was never talking about the in-game economy but the exchange rate. They are not the same and this has absolutely nothing to do with how much you can buy with ISK and therefor nothing with inflation.

The dollar value of PLEX has not changed.
Like any other IRL currency exchange, you now get far more isk for your dollar.

This is a result of demand for PLEX, not a result of isk depreciating/inflation (which it isnt).

Me too, Salvos, above somewhere. I sold mine, too.

1 Like

When did you buy them, and how many?
When did you sell them, and for how much isk?

I bought them from late 2013 - to roughly mid-2014.
I always bought them in bundles of 6 {from the EVE-Radio website, not directly from CCP - does it matter?)
Maybe 4/5 such bundles?
I sold them as individual PLEX during the same period
Now you’re asking. I can’t recall whether the ISK I got broke the 1 billion mark; perhaps towards the end of that period it did, but my recollection is that it didn’t do so in the earlier months.

You don’t say? no one talked about that either.

So here is a basic math question:

1. 1$ gets you 10mil ISK
  2. 1$ gets you 100mil ISK

In which example has ISK more value compared to the $?

This is a false question.
The value of isk doesnt change the value of a dollar.
PLEX price, for cash, has not changed.
Isk value of PLEX does not change the dollar value of PLEX.

You are backpedalling, hard, and into a corner.

For example if Sasha, in his report above, had bought those PLEX for cash today, rather than back then, he would have now been able to sell them for far more isk than back then.

That doesnt mean isk value has depreciated/inflated (which it hasnt), nor that the value of a dollar has changed. It just means that PLEX demand is greater than ever, as weighed against supply.

Its ok to admit you are wrong. Teckos has shown me wrong on numerous occasions, I admitted it, and we moved on with me the wiser.

Actually, not that is exactly what it indicates. They are just not buying them at a rate fast enough to keep the price from going up…which actually makes sense. This is why supply curves slope upwards with respect to price.

Suppose the market for widgets has the following demand and supply functions:

Q(d) = 5 - 0.5 * p, and
Q(s) = 1 + 0.5 * p.

with equilibrium being,

Q(s) = Q(d).

Solving we get the following:

5 - 0.5*p = 1 +0.5 * p, moving the “p’s” to the lhs (left hand side) of the equals sign, we get,

5 = 1 + p, which in turn implies that p = 4, and Q* = 3. Not that Q* is both the quantity supplied and demanded.

Now suppose there is an increase in demand what happens? Suppose our intercept parameter goes to 11 so that demand is now given by,

Q(d) = 11 - 0.5 * p.

So the market price is now determined by:

11 - 0.5 * p = 1 +0.5 * p, or

p = 10 which implies a new Q* = 6. That is the quantity demanded and supplied has gone up. As the demand curve shifts outward it “slides” along the supply curve.

So yes, people are buying more PLEX from CCP. The only way for this to not be true, is for the supply curve to be totally inelastic. That is the supply curve takes the form:

Q(s) = N, where N is just some non-zero number between 0 and 5, say 3. In this case we can still use the above methods.

Q(d) = 5 - 0.5p = 3 = Q(s), or

p = 4 and Q* = 3.

For the shift in demand we get the following:

Q(d) = 11 - 0.5p = 3 = Q(s), or

p = 16 with Q* = 3, To actually get less PLEX being bought given a shift in demand, then the supply curve is sloping downwards…which is very odd in that it violates the law of supply, at least in the short run. In the long run where there increasing economies of scale it could be that the long run supply curve is downward sloping. Put we can probably discount this possibility because the effect this in the long run is to…reduce the price for increases in demand.

No, but I doubt that anything I have written in this post will dissuade you of this opinion…

That is the biggest nonsense to avoid a simple question I have ever read.

1 Like

Who gives a crap. Seriously, you are just asking these questions to dismiss their response. Stop it. Let it go and move on.

Which is what I said.
The assumption that players buy more PLEX from CCP the higher its price, is not panning out. Furthermore, the higher the value of PLEX in isk, the less people have to buy units of PLEX for cash, inorder to meet their ingame isk needs.

There is no way for you to show that rate of PLEX purchase from CCP has increased commensurate with the rise in PLEXs isk value. We also dont know how much of the current PLEX exchange on the market is from existing stockplies, nor how much of it is sunk or just stockpiled elsewhere.

Both of our positions are unprovable, but the fact that supply has not matched demand, and that persons now need to buy less PLEX from CCP to gain the same isk value ingame, both strongly indicate that the rate of PLEX purchase from CCP has not increased commensurate with the rise of PLEX in isk value.