POS BPO Refund?

If you are referring to the Force Field of the “stick” then you are incorrect; Upwell Structures provides docking capability (which bare sticks do not have, nearly unlimited storage capacity), defense capability, tethering at them; if this is not what you meant then please explain, structures have replaced every conceivable function of the POS (to my knowledge). Sure it takes longer to drop Citadel than it would a POS tower; all I can really say to that is “learn to adapt to the evolution of the game; things will inevitably change one way or another”.

1 Like

I totally take the point about not crashing the market, but would it require that much scripting? Presumably it would involve one of the following options:
a) Reprocessing POS towers / structures at 54% or 100% efficiency and dropping in hangars, using figures from BPC (no allowance for value of Faction bonus traits other than refund of additional minerals)
b) Reprocessing POS towers / structures at 54% or 100% efficiency of basic PI material + additional Faction mineral costs + a large / medium / small Faction [placeholder component] which enables building a new range of Upwell-compatible Faction flavour modules (or structures themselves?)
c) Creating a new category of ‘degraded’ PI materials. Change the ingredients for existing POS towers / structures. Reprocess as above. Degraded materials have limited range of uses (e.g. your naff faction ECM scripts or something expendable like ammo or perhaps need twice as much degraded material to build one Upwell XYZ).

Personally I think…
Option (a) is unfair given the original time / resource costs. Also the additional effort needed to acquire Faction BPC. I remember thinking I’d hit the jackpot when I got one of those years ago. Not so much now.
Option (c) would presumably require more scripting and generate more stuff to clog the databases, but might offset the market impact.
Option (b) could be interesting. Players wouldn’t lose the value of the original investment, but to make use of the inherent value of the Faction token they’d need to acquire new faction BPCs. Might give a bit of variety to exploration if the BPCs only appear in Data sites.

I think all your suggestions are possible routes for CCP. Though I’d doubt (a) for the reason suggested (that it’d be unfair).

It is not whether they can or will do it - it will happen… My point was rather that it is a lot of work whatever option they choose. I’ve done a bit of unix/perl scripting in the past as a server admin. They will likely have skeleton scripts for this kind of thing, but a lot of tailoring it would be needed - to 1. remove all market orders/contracts up for all these items (probably about 200-300 unique item types inc. faction etc). they’d have to have worked out the values returned including any ‘new’ faction items (what hangar?) , ISK (what wallet?), Stuff in space (what the f?)… All with agreed values for each of these items.

Point is it’d be a long script. I don’t envy them. :slight_smile:

I’m referring to the ability to use them as staging points, CCP have already said that they are making a structure to replace that functionality, i’m surprised as someone in ISD you haven’t paid attention to keynotes and the like, i mean you’re also a player so this sort of information is pretty useful to know

They have been termed as “Forward operating bases” before although thats not the official name as an NPC structure has since taken that name, they are planning what is essentially a small structure with faster deployment times similar to a POS to provide a small staging area but without being permanent and obviously lacking a lot of the HP and any of the other services

CCP Fozzie also discussed distant, tentative plans for the future including the introduction of player forward operating bases, which would quickly deploy but which would be far more temporary than current Upwell structures. These would allow players to deploy small structures for wormholing, incursions, or initial invasions of hostile sovereignty.

This is the structure we are referring to as the final POS replacement, until that has arrived the sticks themselves will still continue to exist and there won’t be any plans to remove them

2 Likes

I actually like visual / idea of PoSes still.

I have never lived in one, but everytime I see a ship in one, it makes me want to set one up for myself.

Maybe I’ll do that in a c1 or c2 before they get rid of PoSes so I can experience it.

Really, it’s the bubble around the control tower that is the coolest part.

Don’t get rid of PoSes - per say - just update their mechanics to work with access lists and update some of the visual assets (maybe an updated PoS bubble so it looks cool)

2 Likes

Totally agree Thomas, think CCP should change all their plans for the last 18 months and ignore 99.999% of the player base and keep POSes because the bubble looks good, good suggestion, I’m with you on that one :star_struck:

1 Like

I think we can all agree that it’d be a waste to just not have all these assets anymore in the game and that there’s most likely some sort of gameplay they can be used for.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.