[PROPOSAL] Mouse Cursor Size Scaling

I use my 4k Ultra HD TV as my computer monitor. Eve graphics are awesome!
However, the mouse cursor is very tiny and light colored, so it is hard to see against some backgrounds (like if the camera is pointing toward a sun).

I have tried using UI Scaling, which adjusts the size of windows, fonts, etc. Everything EXCEPT the mouse cursor gets enlarged.

GMs have told me the mouse cursor size cannot be adjusted as it is hard-coded. We need a way to adjust the size of the mouse cursor. Either have it scale dynamically with the UI Scaling, or an adjustment in the Graphics Settings. I would also like to be able to change the color of the cursor to something that will stand out against most backgrounds, like bright orange or something.

As I am typing this, I see that others have similar complaints posted in General Issues and Player Features & Ideas. GM Sirius suggested I post it here for CSM review.

12 Likes

This occasionally helps to find it. ABout the UI when looking at a sun or light object, I always turn the camera as NOTHING will be visible, not sure why you like to see your mouse in the white haze as clicking something can be done with the object bar. But I support any visual improvement.

PS: They should make the UI 4k supported with all combined complaints, the mouse is just a small nuisance in the whole of the problems with 4k.

2 Likes

Thanks for that tip. I will give it a shot.

It just seems silly that all of the UI can be scaled except the cursor. Some of us “visually impaired” players need a little help. I also tried using “color blind” settings but that didn’t help either.

I’m not sure what “object bar” you are referring to. I am looking for the cursor so I can tell which side of the wide screen it is on, so I can move it to the window I want to select.

4 Likes

bump.
Rest of UI is scaling fine on 65" 4K TV.
Mouse cursor is nearly invisible.

please scale the Mouse cursor with rest of UI

5 Likes

I have the same problem - it was a real issue in fights with tons of bubbles, but they fixed that issue by fixing the way bubbles are rendered. But it’s still a concern when you’re at the sun, for example.

I will ask if this is still an unfixable issue.

1 Like

I have the same problem. Is it really difficult to make three cursor sizes to increase 100, 200 and 300 percent?

2 Likes

Hi All,

I want to start by saying the EVE team is doing a great job but this nagging issue with the lack of in-game cursor scaling on high DPI monitors is sucking the fun out of playing this game. It may not be affecting people who play on old monitors but the purchasing trend is to buy 4K (UHD) displays and eventually something will have to be done. Other leading games have comprehensive UI scalling (including the cursor) so it doesn’t make sense that it’s imposible on EVE!

I also just tried EVE using the latest BETA version and sadly the cursor is still small to the point of being almost invisible no matter how much I freet with the UI scalling options.

Please, please give us a reasonably sized cursor!

3 Likes

You can use Cursor Node for a reasonable cursor while you wait for devs to become reasonable.

I would rather not use a 3rd party app to see the cursor. It’s not difficult to create a new cursor (10 mins tops), so I would rather that it be part of the game itself.

I run 3 x 4k monitors so I routinely have to run the cursor off of the game and on to another monitor to be able to find it and then slide it back into the game screen to be able to see it so that I can click on the appropriate item. Not really handy when you need to click really fast. I guess that’s why KB shortcuts are so popular?

1 Like

Came to say this as well- it’s really bad on my 15" MacBook at 4k. Cursor is almost invisible on a good screen, not to mention one with sun shining or anything else.

I stopped playing long time ago now because of this. Figured by now it’s been a few years, more and more people have moved towards 4k, and the issue surely must be resolved by now. Fired Eve up, alas my mouse cursor is a tiny spec lost in the void of space. Oh well, maybe i’ll try again in a few years.

3 Likes

This is honestly a really annoying problem we just have to make enough noise about it. They really should fix it, like honestly how long would it seriously take to code that? like 5 mins.

Also would just like to add using pointer trails really does help that is a helpful tip although I find it less annoying with a shorter trail, almost gives me a seizure looking at a long ass trail like wooooaah lol.

Please CCP take 5 mins out to fix this it really could be a game breaker, i have been playing for around 8 months and i play on 4 X 4k monitors and it is impossible at times to keep track of the tiny cursor. Just make the god damn thing bigger and brighter or give the option to at least, or i may join Palumain Rollard of giving the game a rest until this is sorted. The game is beautiful in 4k and really enjoyable when you can see what you are doing, why spoil it…PLEASE FIX!!!

PS SUBMIT an in game ticket, the more people that do it they may take notice (You can only hope!!!)

6 Likes

Agreed. We need this fixed.

2 Likes

Please don’t submit in-game tickets for this. The GMs can’t do anything about it, so you’re just wasting their time and clogging up the ticket system with development changes.

I seem to recall the cursor being something that coded in such a way that making it customizable was impossible, but don’t quote me on that.

It would be nice. I’ve had the same problem with losing it on the screens.

2 Likes

I have the same problem on my 4K screen. In PvP is nearly impossible to find the cursor sometimes, I looked everywhere for an option to increase the cursor’s size, without success.

1 Like

Yes, please make the cursor scalable!

/signed

found a tool maybe it helps someone.

https://pandateemo.github.io/YoloMouse/

Likewise, it’s not safe to play in expensive ships when you can’t find your pointer. I just rejoined after a couple of years’ break and I upgraded all my kit in the meantime. I probably won’t renew my 3 months sub if I can’t find a workaround, it’s not really playable in 4K as it stands.

Edit, Someone suggested Yolomouse - tried it, it works, it’s a bit hit and miss but good enough. I think 4K monitors will become the go-to default in the not too distant future though and ‘it’s hard coded’ really won’t fly much longer.

2 Likes