PVE Fitting For HighSec Rats and L3-L4

Hi,

I’m looking for a fitting for pve combat site I find nearby my highsec and do L3 and L4 security (maybe just L3 for now).

I’m an Alpha, Gallente player. I do own a Vexor (not a NVI tho), a Praxis, Drake, Sunesis, Gnosis and Myrmydon.

Skill wise I can pretty much affort and work on what would be missing.

Thank you for your help.

Alphas can no longer accept a level4 mission.

Praxis with rapid heavy missiles and heavy drones. Or Machariel for blitzing those L3 missions, that can be blitzed (warps faster, especially if rigged well.)

Of the ships you list, the viable ones for Level 3 security missions are the Praxis, the Drake and the Myrmidon. You need a Battlecruiser at least - a cruiser can run them, but it takes a fair bit of skill and picking the approach carefully.

Given you’ve a Vexor and you are a Gallente pilot then the Drake is probably a lot of cross training - it’s a shield fitted missile ship, and if you have been following a typical Gallente path you’ll have focused more on drones, hybrids and armour systems. So, if that’s the case it’s probably not going to be a big passive tanked Drake. Shame, because it hammers Level 3 missions.

The Praxis is a slow compromise of a ship. I’ve not flown it, but it handles all weapon systems and all modes of defence equally “well”. It’s not as good as a focused battleship - lower firepower and lower defence than others in its class, but is still a step up from a Battlecruiser. It may be a little frustrating because it’s the slowest of the ships you have listed.
I run Level 3 (and 4) missions in a Heavy Assault Cruiser - Bigger stuff now feels really slow! - but that’s a lot of skill training, some of which is Omega only, and a 300m ISK ship.

The Myrmidon I don’t know well, but depending on your skills it is probably the logical choice - ideally with T2 drones and a good active armour tank. You should only need medium and light drones - keep an eye on them as NPCs - especially Elite Mercenaries - do like to attack them.
Looking at the University fits they do make a good case for a passive shield fit for missions - but you may not have the skill set for that to be effective (if you did then the Drake is better!).

The advantage of a drone boat is you can change the weapon size easily: medium missiles (Heavy and Assault) aren’t brilliant against fast moving frigates (they will kill’em eventually), but you can always put out a flight of light drones to deal with the frigates before switching to medium drones to kill the bigger stuff.

For high-sec ratting the same ship as you use for Level 3 missions should suffice. Indeed it’ll probably be overkill. You may want to carry a flight of salvage drones and tractors if you intend to make some additional ISK from the wreckage you create.

As has been noted, Level 4 missions are now Omega only (people were farming them). But Level 3 missions are a good modest earner. Find a nice mission base in a 0.6 or 0.5 system, ideally not to close to lo-sec. The lower security areas have better rewards than mission running out of a 1.0 system.

As an aside: that was a well thought through question: What you wanted and your limitations. Thank-you.

4 Likes

Wow thnx a lot for your reply…Ok well first of all didn’t know about L4 not available anymore… that’s ok. I did follow the Mgaic 14 build and working to max my 20SP with all Alpha skills available, but as Gallente I already maxed all armor I could, but not shields. (Only did Shield management and Operation)

I saw in many post Gnosis for L3 and Praxis for L4. I tought selling Sunesis since Gnosis was better.

I’m a too tight with a Gnosis or Praxis/Myrmydon is overpowered? I have a nice 0,6 system well surrounded with all I want for rats and L3 security. I wanna stick to that to make ISK.

The only build I had was those one (has salvager and tractor beam for extra ISK, but feel it’s too missile dmg dependant)

[Gnosis, Gnosis Missile]

Damage Control II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Crosslink Compact Ballistic Control System
Ballistic Control System II

Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Missile Guidance Computer II
Eutectic Compact Cap Recharger
50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive

Heavy Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Heavy Missile
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x4

For Praxis/Myrmidon I don’t have decent fitting…

I missed the Gnosis in you list. Sorry.
It’s got the same problems as the Praxis - it’s a jack of all trades and not as optimal as other ships. It will do Level 3 missions - or should do, I’ve not flown it.

A couple of thoughts on those fittings:

You appear to be going for cap stability - or at least attempting it. You don’t need to be stable. You should be able to manage the capacitor: you’ll not always need the MWD and you’ll not always need the booster or repairer - it means you can drop the battery and replace it with something useful - a stasis webifier or target painter, or a tracking/guidance computer to improve your damage application (how much you hit by - the fraction of the damage that is actually applied to the target.
It also means you can drop the PG/CPU rigs and put something useful in there, a shield extender or an armour trimark for example.

The other thought was “has he seen the price tag?” That’s a Faction Battery and a Deadspace Booster. The battery is the same price as the ship, the booster triple that. You could buy a better T1 ship for that money rather than trying to fix the Gnosis’ problems with a bit of bling.

For fitting ideas and concepts look at the Eve University pages - they provide some good ideas of how to fit a particular hull for different roles. If you Google "Eve " they are normally the first hit - for good reasons.

Yeah for the 250mm fitting I did not see the price… 124M no thnx.

The Missile is 52M tho… not that bad. I will seek Praxis and Gnosis build and adjust with your comments.

I made an upgarde to make it more drone dmg based, so I can keep my distance and just be a suport to my drones. As for Praxis, none of the fitting seems to fit with what I want to do (pve)

[Gnosis, Gnosis Missile]

Damage Control II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Stasis Webifier I
Target Painter I

Heavy Missile Launcher II
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I

Hobgoblin II x4
Hammerhead II x5

Inferno Fury Heavy Missile x320

That would probably work - I’m getting about 410dps with 122EHP/sec armour repair over a 30k-ish buffer for that Gnosis.

I can build a passive shield Myrmidon with a shield recharge at 177EHP/sec on a 50k buffer doing 400dps at the same range. I could probably tweak it somewhat. Both have a MWD.
(Couple of large extenders, rechargers and power coils. Some hardening. Three drone damage amps, a DC2, raiiguns in the high. Oddly I’ve no characters with the skills to fly Gallente Battlecruisers).

Have a look at the Eve University article on passive shield tanking. You have to remember that if your can’t manage the incoming damage to keep your shield above about 25-30% then you’ll loose your tank (recharge for shields and capacitors peaks at that point - if you go below that then more damage => slower recharging. Which is bad. Likewise, be wary of dropping capacitor below that figure).

The advantage of that Gnosis is you’ve a tractor and salvager. Another option for looking is to fit a destroyer to do the same work - a Coercer can carry four tractors and four salvagers. Just tenner to bookmark each pocket if you are running through acceleration gates. Wrecks only last a few hours (2 if I remember).

If you want a crack at a Level 4 mission, sharing the rewards (you can have the loot) and you aren’t too far from Amarr then drop me a line in game. An Omega can accept a Level 4 missions on behalf of a fleet with Alphas in it.

A food for thought:

Cap stable, 171ehp/s omni tank, 530+ dps Alpha VNI

[Vexor Navy Issue, Alpha]

Medium Armor Repairer II
Medium Armor Repairer II

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Drone Navigation Computer I

Drone Link Augmentor I
Small Focused Modulated Energy Beam I, Standard S
Small Focused Modulated Energy Beam I, Standard S
Core Probe Launcher I, Sisters Core Scanner Probe

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I

Caldari Navy Wasp x5
Caldari Navy Wasp x1
Vespa II x5

Guns are there just to get rid of tacklers faster, plus lasers dont need ammo if used with t1 crystals.

TBH Level 4 isk is pretty minimal so say the least. You would be better off ratting in a WH.

[Praxis, L3 alpha]

Dread Guristas Co-Processor
Missile Guidance Enhancer II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Gist X-Type 100MN Afterburner
Dark Blood Heavy Capacitor Booster, Navy Cap Booster 800
Gist X-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Astro-Inertial Compact Missile Guidance Computer

Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher II, Nova Fury Heavy Missile
Drone Link Augmentor I

Large Polycarbon Engine Housing II
Large Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II
Large Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

Federation Navy Ogre x4

Zainou ‘Gypsy’ CPU Management EE-603
Zainou ‘Snapshot’ Heavy Missiles HM-703
Inherent Implants ‘Squire’ Capacitor Management EM-803
Zainou ‘Deadeye’ Target Navigation Prediction TN-903
Zainou ‘Deadeye’ Rapid Launch RL-1003

Almost 1000 DPS means you finish site faster, than Gnosis. Better warp speed than Gnosis fit, posted above. Price is almost 1 bilion, including implants, but the only implant you really need is a CPU one.Much better tank means you can warp into most L3 at 0 and deal the damage all the time, without repositioning, low speed is not a problem. All that means your isk/hour will be better, than any battlecruiser you will use for missioning. Though Praxis is a battle ship, it has same or better align time, as most battlecruisers, except Gnosis, of cause.

1 Like

We see a lot of folks using cap boosters and cap booster charges for pve… try fitting a large cap batterby, the rep fleet one is nice. That sometimes gives ya a lil better performance and less to manage when on field.

Just a friendly idea or tip. :slight_smile: They dont always fit. We try to run oversized cap batteries and will run a dual or triple prop often for pve. Depending on the environment of course.

So far I’m heading for this… as I have the Parxis ship and Gnosis, but I can afford to buy another Gnosis if needed, can’t lose that Praxis yet.

[Gnosis, Gnosis Missile]

Damage Control II
Medium Armor Repairer II

Stasis Webifier I
Target Painter I

Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I

Hobgoblin II x4
Hammerhead II x5

Inferno Fury Heavy Missile x320

Behrin, you recommend me to remove what for what exactly? If it fits for sure…
For the WM ratting, I was thiking doing it when I get more confortble with my ship limits…

A quick tip looking at that fitting: Meta Modules.
For example, that Stasis Webifier I. It costs 40k ISK, takes 25 CPU to fit (plus one PG), and reduces speed by 50% out to 10km.
The Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier does 55% slowing at 10km (better) and only needs 20 CPU (less). Downside, it costs 170k. But sometimes that 5 CPU is worth it.
The X5 Enduring is less capacitor usage for the same fitting, 55% effect, 25k ISK - cheaper for a better module.

Always look at the meta items - in general “enduring” is less cap use, “compact” is less fitting, “scoped” is longer range. The prices vary, bit some are cheaper that the basic Meta 1 module and all are more effective.

Spending a little on reducing the CPU may allow you to drop the CPU rig - you could then put in something like a Semiconductor Memory Cell in its place increasing the capacitor size (and thus recharge rate as a side effect).

You’ll want to carry additional missiles. Caldari Navy missiles are good - Rage are designed for bigger slower targets and will have applying to frigates unless you’ve got them solidly webbed and painted - and even then I suspect Navy missiles will out perform them.
Use Rage against Battlecruisers and above, or a cruiser if you’ve webbed and painted it.
(Caveat - I know turrets better than missiles).

Otherwise, I suspect that Gnosis is going to be reasonably effective. Watch your armour carefully, you are totally reliant on the repairer with not buffer if it can’t manage the incoming damage.
A reactive hardener rather than the EANM2 might work well as it responds to the incoming damage types to ultimately give better resistance than the EANM2. It also saves anotye 12 CPU in fitting space.

1 Like

Yeah I can do some minor tweak for sure…

I’m not that cheap when it comes to build my ship… an extra 2-3M won’t hurt me, I just can’t aford 1B ship!

The use of meta modules isn’t about cost, it’s about either better performance in the same fitting space or less fitting space.
In general, modules with lower fitting requirements have a premium cost because they are in greater demand (subjective generalisation). Lower fitting size means you don’t need modules (such as reactor power controls and CPU/PG rigs) that solely compensate for other poor modules.
Look at it this way: for a modest price increase you are buying an extra slot.

And I agree with your approach; a few million to improve a ship is fair, but I don’t like flying a billion ISK work of modules on a hull that doesn’t warrant it. 100-200m ISK in Faction or Deadspace modules on a 250m ISK HAC? Fair enough, I’ll consider that. On a 10m ISK T1 cruiser? Not a chance.

There are exceptions, I’ll normally carry Faction Crystals for my energy turrets (I’m an Amarrian pilot mainly). The extra damage is worth it in my judgement.

It’s all about personal risk appetite (and that varies, so there’s no right or wrong) and personal wealth - a well fitted HAC is something I can comfortably afford to replace - I don’t like loosing it, but it’s not a heavy loss.

I can fly a Marauder, but it’s 1.5-2bn ISK. So I never have. Personal preference. There’s no absolute right or wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.