PvE-Only Server

There’s other games for that, go play those.

I hate gettng ganked as much as the next individual, but I have to disagree with the idea of a separate server. I’m sure not everyone knows the acronym, or understands that it is one, but it really does sum up the game in 3 words. You know how the rest of this goes…However, I would argue that merely wanting a PVE server doesn’t change the fact that we are all EVE players.

For better or whatever, don’t tamper too much with a good thing or risk its loss.

1 Like

This Topic has been moved to Player Features and Ideas Discussion

Take a game where pve only exists as a component of pvp and some how take the pvp out of it?

There are some very valid points being expressed in this thread, some of which I’m in agreement. I truly enjoy the idea of one cohesive galaxy which is one of the reasons EvE is so alluring. Because of that, there are obvious draw backs to a separate server.

It is also reasonable to say that ganking is a problem for everyone except the gankers. So the question still remains, what is the solution, if not a PvE server? One possibility could be a redistribution of resources in the New Eden galaxy which, of course, would have economic effects. But it would also make solo-play more viable and resource gathering for new players less risky especially when it comes to gathering minerals like Jaspet.

Singularity is not a viable long-play server option, although it is a viable PvE option. This creates a double-edged sword. I would not suggest this server for any new player. I would, however, participate in the use of this server when the time is appropriate. It is a very interesting sandbox and beta environment.

This is called “begging the question”. You’re trying to skip past what is actually under discussion by just assuming your own position is true, and jumping right into addressing the position you’ve merely asserted, absent any support, to be factual.

Simply put, what you’ve said here is not true. Ganking is actually only a problem for the gankee. Nobody likes losing, of course, but that doesn’t make ganking a systemic problem instead of a personal one.

It’s actually beneficial to the ganker, and third parties who don’t get ganked.

Dead ships need to be replaced, stimulating demand for production and raw materials.

Additionally, everyone who is skilled in going about their business without being ganked has a competitive advantage over people who do not. If my competitor keeps getting ganked, but I don’t, he’s not as competitive, and I benefit economically.

1 Like

Its hard to understand on the surface, but take a look at this section of the MER

The amount of destruction in the Forge, which is where all the trade and by extension the majority of the high sec ganking occurs is just barely enough to overtake with the amount of minerals being mined in Esoteria.
This means that without ganking the industry would grind to a halt, how fast I don’t know but it would stop.

Fixed that for you…

It’s really not. As an industrialist and non-ganker, ganking is not a problem but in fact a great benifit.

Destruction creates demand and keeps my prices up. Also my competition is not gankers but other industrialists. Gankers in fact help me stay ahead of the competition by killing other industrialists that are too dumb and lazy to pay attention.

Simply put, what you’ve said here is not true. Ganking is actually only a problem for the gankee. Nobody likes losing, of course, but that doesn’t make ganking a systemic problem instead of a personal one.<\

This is literally the inverse of what I’ve said. If you look at the sentence structure, the idea is identical. Which makes both ideas true. Because their the same.

With that said. I actually can’t read the statistics on the image posted by Omnathious Deninard. I even saved it, to see if I could view it better (through multiple pieces of software). I’m really interested in the actual numbers. It appears to equal out, relatively. But graphs can hide a lot of details without being able to see the base numbers their derived from. I will, for the sake of this thread, and to stay focused, assume it’s true.

I’m not “begging the question”. that’s a misinterpretation. I’m intending to create a think-tank for a solution to a problem and that problem is ultimately the CONTINUED-PLAY-RATE of new players.

This is a problem that we should all be concerned with as it could increase the subscription cost or, in a worst case scenario, sink CCP as a company. The result could even be as slight as increased time between development stages due to lack of perceived interest or possibly funding. Nothing is forever and this game really is too good of an idea to lose.

The community is strong, and I am a strong participant which is why this post was created initially. Just because we can work well within the constraints of a problem doesn’t mean that the problem lacks existence.

And it also does not mean that the problem is easily identifiable but the conversation does have to start somewhere, even if that starting point is misplaced.

Let’s work together, it’s okay if I’m wrong because I helped plant the seed to create something that is right.

1 Like

It is, however, overwhelmingly sad that several comments have boiled my reasoning down to a lack of skill or determination. That is an assumption that is greatly short sighted.

I’m going to risk making a mistake here, but I’m assuming it’s because of a number of post related to the threads subject line. If that is true, which it may not be, then shouldn’t we be examining why these threads exist instead of degrading the people who make them, even if the solution isn’t a separate server?

1 Like

For all of your postings, I still don’t understand why high sec is not sufficient for your needs. As a casual player myself, I find that high sec is 99.9% safe, if you have awareness. Maybe a little too safe.

From your posting history, it seems ganking is your biggest concern, but it is an activity that is hyped way out of proportion to their actual numbers. And if it still stresses you out, simply follow one of EVE’s top rules - “fly what you can afford to lose”, accept any losses with grace, and you may end up learning something new and have fun at the same time. Perhaps that is the genius that makes EVE what it is and gets people to return even if they don’t always immediately understand why themselves.

I think that is clear: people either don’t understand, or don’t like, the kind of game Eve is.

Eve isn’t a PvE-only game. It never has been and can never really be, not it any meaningful way given the loss-driven shared economy. Some people want or expect it to be that, and for whatever reason feel entitled to ask CCP to do the impossible. They do this usually not seeing that the PvP part of the game directly enables the building and gathering bits that do appeal to them.

There are plenty of other PvE games out there, honestly many much better at that than Eve’s PvE could ever be given the limitations of the game engine and basic design. Many compromises were made to enable large fleet fights, which limits what is possible and makes Eve less-than-ideal for solo PvE experiences.

Certainly more could be done for new players to get them integrated and find some accessible content, but a safe PvE zone isn’t going to do that. If CCP wants to do that to offer a PvE spaceship game to the mainstream, they will make new game. Arguably, they should have done that a decade ago. But retrofitting Eve into that is doomed to fail, and would likely kill their best and longest running success. In fact, some wIll say it almost has.

If you don’t like Eve, or it doesn’t match your expectations, you can just move on and try something else. It’s just one of a crowded field of video games.

2 Likes

No, what you said is that, “Ganking is a problem for everyone except the ganker.”

This would mean it’s a problem for the gankee, the guy standing next to the gankee, the cousin of the guy standing next to the gankee, etc.

What I said is that it’s ONLY a problem for the gankee, which is a much smaller subset than what you have stated.

Declaring ganking a “problem” IS begging the question. There’s no consensus that it’s a problem, and it’s not objectively a problem. You’ve simply decreed it so and skipped ahead to, “Okay, how do we solve this PROBLEM?”

When, actually, the conversation needs to be dialed back to you convincing any substantive number of people that it’s a problem. You’re attempting to avoid engaging on the topic of whether or not there’s an actual problem to fix here, because what you’re actually interested in is pushing a “Grr gankers” agenda.

As for player retention:

That’s a complicated subject, but you see it invoked almost exclusively in promotion of some other agenda. Whatever someone’s personal pet-peeve is, addressing that is THE solution to “player retention”, and the idea that it’s in pursuit of player retention is the club that they will use to beat everyone over the head with it, regardless of how nonsensical the idea, how impractical it would be to implement, or how antithetical it is to the game’s core principles.

1 Like

Actually what is short sighted is your lack of understanding of the issue. Ganking is a content driver…

Please feel free to help train new players on how to fit, fly and operate in HS successfully.

Hard NOPE

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.