PvE Roundtable - Saturday 31st of March

I think most of the points are mentioned already, but if you want to design successful PvE, imo, you have to think from the reward first. The PvE has to give something desirable and valuable. Create it. Then you web the puzzle/challenge around how to get that reward. Once you have your story, you need to test effort/time/risk against other PvE activities. If you are on par, good, else tweak your story.

1 Like

LOL, the only survey I have had sent lately kicked me out after the first question, I’d hardly call that a reasonable survey…in fact it proved that CCP only wanted answers from those players who would give them the answers they wanted, what those answers were that they sought I have no idea.

As for being naive, you thought a consensus of 30 players gave you any idea of what we wanted, seriously?

As for me, am I interested in HS group content?..no, not in the slightest.

Harder smarter npc’s?..nope. IMHO they do nothing for most of the players, particularly newbros. It could be argued that they spoil the game. Some might find them fun, that’s fine.

Additions to the current mission pool?..yes please.

Return of the Agent Finder?..yes please.

Return of the old map?..yes please.

1 Like

I have to agree. NPCs killing people takes away from players killing people.

This is a VERY good post, thank you for taking the time to put it together.

1 Like

Hell,I gave more likes in this thread than anywhere in my forum presence. I tell ya PvE OP is. Nerf needed here :slight_smile: Do no pay attention to Baltic sailor on Friday evening for mostly it is drunk talk…
Cheers,
BB

There’s a concept in rationality called the mediocrity (or representative) principle, where you assume that what you encounter is a roughly average and representative sample of a thing until you are given evidence to the contrary. 30 people all agreeing on something is strong evidence that they represent the community, and in general they were, as a large amount of people in this thread are clearly indicating that they WOULD have enjoyed RW if it had had a better reward structure and easier way to find fleets (which is what I suspected).

To properly lay the groundwork there I have to find out what people find fun in missions - other than the rewards - so I can make that a central learning point when I come to do a summary of this round-table.

What about the Agent Finder do you miss in your workflow? What purpose did it serve that is no longer being filled?

Old map still exists my dude, you can just untick this box in your settings;

U Yes

I don’t think PvE (highsec) content has to pay the same as level 4’s to be used. If there was something (FOB’s but interesting / stimulating) where a group of 4 or 5 people could earn 80% of solo level 4 running then I think that would be successful content.

2 Likes

I propose to include escalation mechanics to missions. Sort of randomly appearing “mini epic arcs”.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on what you think this would add to the mission experience to make it better, other than having more content?

I.e. if we’re making more missions, why not just add them to the pool?

Resource mining.

No further explanation needed as reason why it failed to attract masses.

Good concept failed execution

FOB rewards are not there,personally i like AI but fob them selves aren’t all that interesting to me they are a grind within grind shoot ze structure monkey.

are abandoned list of things needed to be done with them wont stop after decade on negligence

Are amarr centered farmville in space they put Asian mmos to shame of how horrible they are but they pay buttmetric ton of isk AND lp that carebears of nullcsec wanteh.

They are static isk printers that CCP abandoned long time ago.
Incursions 150% make other PVE options less attractive because they are abandoned farmville that got figured out not because ISK they pay out.

All of above if fixable with iteration and continuous work on features…so il just wait for nerfs and or removals of features going forward.

Can you elaborate on this when CCP realized niche wasn’t hit what was done about it ?
This is only PVE as far as my knowledge goes that form fleets of ppl to go shoot stuff…what exactly CCP feels was missed in them?

How did abandoning feature helped?How does not changing a single ship in them push progress on those i love my small neut battleship deltole and large neut frigates i really do.

This was not CCP’s conclusion, it was the conclusion of myself and the participants of the panel.

I am not a member of CCP.

Never mind then,best wishes.

My personal opinion:

1. I would like missions to be more dynamic and multi stage occasionally. While there is a large group of people who merely grind missions to fuel their PvP, there is a larger group of players who use missions/explorations as their main source of entertainment in EVE. They aren’t always mini/maxing a mission, timing the isk/hour, running 3 missions at a time; but rather exploring different missions using different techniques,tactics,ships, and using a “wondering what would happen if I shoot this?” type of play. Merely adding more “old style” missions to the pool would help, but there should be a better way like…

2. Creating a mission generator that determines opponent,style of objective, variation within mission level toughness to complete, and reward. Now, I can hear the bitzers and mini/maxers screaming “but, but!..”, so make them like the anomic/burner missions: add them to increase the total number of missions and make them no penalty for rejection.

3. Make the generated mission lie behind a acceleration gate that locks for 30 minutes if you warp out. This prevents the old " I’ll take a peak,warp back to station and re-fit my ship" and the blitzers if they make an error in their ship design. Cue the screaming min/maxers…so, remember #2 above.

4. Add a exploration generator to create varied sites that could be scanned down and add npc enemies in them even in HS occasionally. Make them drop something strange once and awhile like the old “Data chips” that could be combined to create (and be consumed) a one shot mission or site.

5. Make certain events like incursions or the FOBs have an aspect that could be done either solo or with 2 people. The incursion Scout site could be re-tooled to fit this as they are usually ignored by the community right now. Stop trying to force us to get together with strangers; I have a few friends that play EVE and when they are on we get together otherwise, I prefer to solo. Many of the people I talk to in EVE are the same way.

Finally, and to be blunt, the most important thing to take out of this roundtable and forum discussion when discussing PvE, is to stop relying on people who run missions with their alts to raise money for their main and focus on those who mainly mission and explore. You do need feedback from those who use PvE to feed their PvP (mainly because they are the ones most likely to exploit a flaw or game it to death and CCP would like to prevent that), but the dedicated PvE player is the underserved portion of EVE who you are trying to reach for their opinion. I know how you would feel if a bunch of HS/LS miners would take over CSM and CCP and decide what features the NS crowd is asking for and needs; for many of us, we have had 8+ years of it. Thanks for being the “to go to person” in regards to HS/LS and PvE. Keep telling CCP that while they have all the data, the conclusions they reach on what players want is regularly wrong.

3 Likes

Its to add more endgame to current content. People would have to run current missions to get the new ones. And to add the thrill of chance of receiving some good missions.

1 Like

One thing, why do so many people hate the agency window?

I like it as a one stop shop for all the PvE stuff, including the map. There are two things to be improved, agent filter/search and performance. The old agent finder was bad UX, but the new lacks options (range restrictions, and no filter for available to me).

1 Like

When you talk about thing like statistic data you must understand and analyze results that it gave to you. Events sites are popular because they are droping SP boosters not because they are the most fun of all pve activities in EvE.

2 Likes

Dank loots are always popular.

1 Like

The ability to search any level of agent as far out as I wanted, currently it’s a mess.

IE, if I search any agent any level within 2 jumps it gives me a list of 12, if I then search 5 jumps out it ignores the ones in my present system and searches from 2 to 5 systems out, if I go to any distance it seems to stop 7 jumps out because of the 12 agent limit, which is crap.

But then again yourselves and CCP have been told repeatedly about this and its limitations, so why keep asking us the same question?

1 Like

Jin just compare The Agency’s agent finder to this http://ea.omg-cdn.net/. Look at the fuctionality, the search options and the number of results produced. The Agency has this flat limit of showing 12 results … and which 12 it shows you appears to be random … seriously w.t.f?

2 Likes