Those of you with long memories might remember the Townhall I held in 2016 about PvE (https://forums-archive.eveonline.com/message/6607786/), which was an intensely useful discussion. The main conclusion drawn from that was that we needed more ‘social’ PvE content in EVE, as it was felt Incursions didn’t hit that niche properly. In addition there was a lot of the same concerns we see from other areas of the game like Faction Warfare, around the lack of iteration that some areas of PvE have had.
Since that time, we’ve had a large amount of new PvE added to the game. Resource Wars, the Agency, NPC Soitoyos, NPC FoBs, NPC Mining Fleets & Drifter WHs. As such, I figured it was probably time to touch bases again with the PvE community and find out what issues are being run up against. I’m also aiming to try and collate solid feedback on these new areas of PvE and find out what might be done to effectively iterate on them.
As always with these roundtables, I have specific topics & questions I want to focus the roundtable on before we go off on crazy tangents, and these are;
- Resource Wars - Why didn’t it take off, was it purely a ISK/h problem or were there other issues? How is the gameplay experience? What (do you think) would be required for RW to be run, even if the payouts were kept below a baseline activity like L4 running?
** Subtopic - Is the ‘instancing’ of Resource Wars an issue? What gameplay does it prevent?
** Subtopic - What tools is social PvE missing? Would being able to set up a fleet advert with “anyone within x jumps can see”, or something along those lines help?
- The Agency - How useful is it for finding PvE content you already enjoy? How useful is it for indicating new content that you might enjoy? Are there any features missing from the Agency?
- NPC FoBs/Soitoyos - What is the biggest barrier to completing a FoB/Soitoyo? Is the content fun to run? What could be done to make them easier to attempt without reducing the difficulty substantially? What problems (if any) are there with the looting mechanics?
- Missions - I’ve talked previously about adding missions to the mission running pool, but what - if any - changes from the traditional mission structure would be good? What are your favourite missions in terms of play experience (not monetary gain)?
** Note - I am not interested in discussing the idea of ‘letting players create their own missions’. It’s a nice idea, but it’s not one I think is pragmatically likely to happen.
- Incursions - What problems are there with Incursions? Do people feel Incursions have become ‘too well known’? Does the ISK from Hisec Incursions make other PvE options less attractive?
I likely will not sit down and ask each of these questions directly, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I’m looking to get out of this. I did intentionally leave out Mining & Exploration, as well as Wormhole PvE, as the former is a pair of topics I see more as parts of Industry than PvE (though they do fall into that category, it’s Player vs Enviroment, not Player vs Enemy), and the latter is one I feel will already be solidly in the purview of Noobman and whoever follows him as the WH CSM rep.
This roundtable will be hosted (in terms of audio) on this Discord invite, which is a temporary discord. I’ll also be streaming and recording the roundtable in order to allow others to hear what was said and respond to it.
I am planning to run the actual roundtable on the 31st of March, between 20:00 & 22:00, though I expect we’ll run over in time, as these roundtables tend to. If you can’t attend, my ingame inbox is open, as is this thread. I’ll try and read and absorb as much of that as possible.
Thank you for your time.
EDIT - Here is the recording