PvP training wheels

The difference is that I’m not spouting BS about my leet PvP knowledge and skills, or fictional guides and corps.

If you had any ability to alleviate your own ignorance rather than assuming everyone else’s, you might have noticed that the ‘clown fit loss’ was me checking out reports of a griefer hunting newbros in a career agent system. I podded over, grabbed a quick cheap ship, flew out to see what he was doing so it could be reported.

Other than that, most PvP in EVE is irrelevant to me because it’s not what I’m here for. When I want PvP I go to a game that’s properly designed for it.

True. But at least we can try.
You see, throwing someone on deep water to teach him swim (like in that gif) actually works pretty well… if you are in army, prision, gang or any other “no other choice” situation.
Here is the thing: players have other option(s).
It’s called “Uninstall”.
It’s in everyones best interest to prevent that happening from bullsit reason.
In my book having to go back and forth to replace lost ships only to learn how to properly operate cap or overheat is one big bull
**t.

Back when I ran a pvp corp for newbies, many many years ago, training through dueling to the death was done on a daily basis including the victor podding the loser.

Didn’t take very long for them to stop fearing the reaper.

2 Likes

Which you actively chose to both shield boost as armor rep while also having a slew of SMALL shield extenders.

This is the exact example of “when left on their own these people have no clue”. You, you’re one of them. That is why you react as you do.

1 Like

And you know … we can allways remove Simulate Fitting ! :smiley: cause why da fk you should know that you have 1:30 min of cap where you actually don’t ! Mmmmm I’m feeling that game of the year award already.

The ingame fitting window is just for actually fitting the ship. Using it for anything more than that doesn’t really work. It’s not good enough, not detailed enough and doesn’t have enough options. Purely sticking to ingame fitting is how people remain mediocre.

If you want to LEARN then use something like Pyfa. You’ll get a far better understanding of what’s happening and what you can expect in specific scenarios.

You’re still not gonna learn though. You’re simulation is basically a burner mission or abyss space.

Oh well. Eve isn’t for everyone.

1 Like

This post should be in the https://forums.eveonline.com/c/technology-research/player-features-ideas section.

And how will you learn to PvP from that? EVE PvP has absolutely nothing to do with arranged fights but with knowing how and when to engage, separate targets, bait, and controlling the engagement.

People learn that by going out there and losing ships.

Maybe instead of straping another useless minigame that has nothing to do with the sandbox we better teach those players that they can earn the amount of ISK for a frigate to learn that PvP just in a couple of minutes. Because you don’t learn PvP in a blinged out ship. You create a cheap frigate with meta or t1 modules for a couple 100k or below and then you go out there and see what happens.

1 Like

I think this is a great idea. Why don’t you post it in the player features & ideas section?

My 2 cents as a newer player: I see no incentive to PvP right now and will wait until later.

As a newer player, I don’t stand a chance solo roaming against a vet in a T3 cruiser or tech 2 decked Pirate ship with all their relevant skills to 5. No amount of skill will close that gap sufficiently unless the vet simply is too drunk or not paying attention.

So most people’s response to the above will be “join a corp” or “join a roaming group”.

Joining a rando group is crap shoot as to what you will find and sometimes it’s a scam where they will just kill you when you fly in to join. I hardly ever see anything in Join Fleet that isn’t a mining group.

As a newer player, if I join a ‘serious’ PvP corporation I’ll likely not have the skill set to fly their doctrine ships so will be sidelined until I can.

As a newer player, I haven’t got a proper isk faucet set up where losing millions in ships is a negligible impact on my playing time. Insurance is a joke as it doesn’t come close to taking the sting out of losing a properly fitted ship of any kind. In my experience, SRP from corps is more ‘conditional’ than first advertised.

That being said, I’m not adverse to PvP, but it makes sense to me to wait until my skill queue catches up to fly something relevant (in my case my current skill queue is mostly training into Logi ships so I can be useful in a group but there’s a ton of skills to be decent logi pilot…so it will be a few months) and I’m making enough isk to independently cover my losses in case I get shafted on SRP (which has happened to me more than once in different corps).

TLDR: Why rush into PvP as a newbro using subpar ships/skills, losing money, and pissing off your teammates because you suck?

I get depressed whenever I head over there, wandering among the bleached bones of decent ideas CCP will never implement, and the wailing of the mad “Just bring back jetcanning!” and “Make Concord insta-kill before I get ganked!” souls.

I hear you, and I’m not that keen on EVE’s PVP setup for newer players. That said, since your skill queue is long-ish atm (more of CCP’s “just pay us, log off and wait” design issue), it might be worth creating an alt, doing a career agent or two, tossing the T1s you get from it into the hauler you get from it, sell the rest, and take a handful of ships off to faction warfare or join Red vs Blue (Joining Red vs. Blue ) for some starter PvP action.

Pretty much exactly why EVE needs a more introductory, low-barrier PvP experience for players.

1 Like

You’ve been lied to buddy.

Your post is depressingly inaccurate. What neckbeard-Reee warriors have you been talking to? Come to low sec. Messing around in small gangs and cheap ships is the norm. It’ll tide you by until you get over whatever fictional barriers you impose upon yourself and you can move on whenever you want.

You can even join up in faction warfare and make decent income whilst you roam.

Stop making excuses.

Edit-
From your killboard you’re not far from me. If you wanna roam around a bit and do the odd 1v1 with some genuine guidance and support then send me an in game mail.

3 Likes

I ‘learned’ PvP by buying, fitting and losing 20 rifters.

Lost 2 of them in Rens when I was invited to duel 1 on 1 by a guy in another frig. Rules were T1 only. Finaly managed to kill him on my third try with a massive bufferfit. His version of T1 turned out to be mostly T2 and faction.

See the real PvP lesson in there?

Well i must admit, i remember my baptism like it was yesterday,

The ice field at Dantan James 315 territory was when it all made sense.

My mentor in elite pvp guided me to my first mackinaw bot aspirant and it was a beautiful sight to behold when he exploded and his frozen corpse before me like a russian prostitute who just finished a non stop 3 day shift in india.

The true bonus in elite pvp is the sheer fact that i knew i just saved a bot aspirant miner.

Praise James 315

World of Warships style skirmish battles with EvE ships ? Anyone ?

Dear OP, that’s simple, make some friends and train with them.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.