Question about Vexor low slot fittings, and fitting techniques

Hy there,
I’m currently a Catalyst pilot doing high sec combat missions, and i’m thinking about upgrading to a Vexor (started investing in drone skills…), so i researched some fitting solutions on-line, as well as doing my own simulations. What i don’t understand is why a lot of people invest so many low slot space in different type of armor resistance modules, but none in armor plating ? I mean, one slot occupied with a 400 mm rolled tungsten gives you an additional 2200 Ehp, which is a lot more than any resistance module, except for “damage control” which is really great. I can also understand the fact that higher resistances means a more overall, efficient damage control module, and that armor plates decreases your speed and agility by 5%, but why people keep stacking up resistance modules in spite of penalties of doing so, with no significant gain on “paper”, boggles me. And speaking of stacking penalties, i have seen built’s with 3 drone damage amplifiers. Isn’t that going to reduce the efficiency of each module to 57 % ? Is it worth it ? Please help me better understand fitting mechanics…

The Vexor can be shield or armor tanked. For PVE where you don’t need tackle modules, a lot of people choose to shield tank and use the low slots for damage modules.

No stacking penalties work a little bit differently. The first module (with highest bonus) gives 100%, second highest bonus is penalized and gives 87% of its bonus, third one will only give 57% etc. You can read more about it here: Stacking penalties - EVE University Wiki

Because if Vexor uses active armor tank (with a repper) then fitting additional plate is usually a bad idea, except for very specific content where you can get blapped.

1 Like

The long and short behind resistance modules is to… well… reduce the incoming damage. This allow modules like the Armor Repair Unit or Shield Booster to keep up with incoming damage.

To put it in math terms:

You have 100 damage per second being applied to your ship.

Let’s use two ship fits:

• One with an Armor Repairer and an armor plate
    – Repairs 70 hp per second
    – Has a total of 1000 hp
    – Resistances are 20% across the board
  • One with an Armor Repairer and an Energized Adaptive Nano Plating
    – Repairs 70 hp per second
    – Has a total of 500 hp
    – Resistances are 40% across the board

The first example will take about 80 hp worth of damage per second ( 100 damage - (100 damage * 20%) )
This means you will be losing 10 hp more than you are gaining every second and will have to constantly run the Repper just to hold out (which puts strain on your capacitor).
This effectively puts a time limit on how long you will last.

The second example will take about 60 hp worth of damage per second ( 100 damage - (100 damage * 40%) )
This means you will be “gaining” 10 hp more than what you are receiving in damage. This means you do not have to run the Repper for as long or as often and gives you potentially “indefinite” staying power.

Regarding the stacking penalties:
50% penalty is about the cutoff point when people decide it is not worthwhile to fit more modules affecting that same stat.
Understand the EVE is a game of “inches” and that small percentage gains can have an impact on how you perform.

I will also throw in that there are many, MANY different tanking styles in this game.
In general, it is not a good idea to mix different types as your ship has only so many slots and resources. Stick to one style and maximize it.

Some of the more popular styles are:

• Buffer tanking: Fitting HP and resistance modules. Ideal for large scale and/or super fast paced PvP combat.
  • Active tanking: Fitting Repair/Booster and resistance modules. Almost mandatory for PvE stuff and ideal for solo / small gang style PvP
  • Speed tanking: Uses high speed and agility to make oneself too difficult to hit. Can be used with the previous two styles, but requires some knowledge of game mechanics to pull off properly. Ideal for solo / small gang PvP and can also be used for some PvE setups.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.