Raata Zaibatsu Chronicles

Tenal Velven Tea

Nannaras X

June 25th YC 120

“It’s a foolish idea, Laiya.”

“Matron, I can assure you I can handle this discreetly. There’s so much more we can recover this way.”

The room was small and narrow, starting from the door, the room is shaped like the tip of a finger. When walking in from the only door you’d see right ahead of you, nearly at the end of the room, the FTL terminal the room was designed for. It was a fancy and slim variant, one that had a floor based projector for a full body hologram. The room was littered with sensors capable of rendering multiple holograms of anyone in the room on the receiver’s end. If you wanted to listen on a conversation, but have your presence ignored by the sensors, you could stand behind the two orange glass walls at the entrance to the room. In the middle near the projector were two cushioned wooden chairs and a waist high metal table between them. The furniture would not be picked up by the sensors aside from the ones in the seat cushions to detect if someone sat down.

Currently in the room were two individuals. The Matron of the Ohrion Conglomerate, Tuilina Malioka and Ohrion Capsuleer, Laiya Aholm.

“I don’t doubt for a moment your ability, nor the rewards, but we must adhere to the pros…cess.” Tuilina’s words trail off as she hears the door slide open. Looking over in that direction, her old face lights up with a smile. “Suha!”

Laiya darts her gaze towards Suha “I could’ve sworn I locked the door.”

Suha steps forward into the room, past the glass barriers. She looks over to Laiya “Apologies, did I interrupt something?” To Suha, Laiya was a figure worthy of respect regardless of how cold she may be at times. She was one of two Capsuleers used by the Zaibatsu. While the other was used for more militaristic minded goals in the Myrskytuuli Regiment, Laiya was entrusted in the hands of the Ohrion Conglomerate for explorative and scientific initiatives. She was of Jin-mei ancestry, a tall, mature figure around Suha’s age with straight black hair that touched her shoulders. Her attire was identical to the Matron, a thick green coat that mimicked the design of a lab coat, but more attractive and stylish, you’d sooner find it in some formal gathering than a lab environment.

Tuilina jumps to answer Suha “Of course not darling, come here!” She says, swiftly walking forward to Suha. The Matron was an elderly figure, old enough to be Suha and Laiya’s grandmother and certainly felt no shame in acting like it towards them. Suha personally welcomed the affection, she saw Tuilina as a caring mentor that always had spare time to set aside for her. As soon as Tuilina was in range she embraces Suha with a brief hug, as she retracts, she leaves her left hand on Suha’s shoulders. “How are you, child?”

“Perfectly fine, Matron. I had the pleasure of talking to Monden Searbier on the way here and got to know him a bit more.”

Tuilina steps to Suha’s side and slides her hand to over to her other shoulder. She starts walking her towards where she was standing when talking to Laiya “I hope that you two got along?”

“I…Wouldn’t necessarily say that. He seemed to have trouble comprehending that I hailed from a Venal colony Other than that it wasn’t a bad conversation.”

Tuilina stops as she brings Suha near the two seats in the middle of the room. On the metal table between them was a silver tray with a teapot, with several smaller cups. “Monden is a respectable man, but knows only the world the Federation let him see. Typically this world is painted with a biased tone.” Tuilina picks up the teapot and begins pouring a liquid into one of the cups, it has a slight hint of green to it.

“What kind do you have this time?” Suha asks, Tuilina was someone who was obsessed with tea. She loved tasting all different kinds from every corner of the cluster. She also likes to attribute her near perfect health to her tea consumption. When in reality it’s more in part due to her dedication to maintaining a nutritious diet and shunning away anything packaged with added preservatives. Despite her age, her body functioned like it was still in its late prime.

“Tenal Velven. It’s a caffeinated beverage that supports your digestive system.” She picks up one of the small cups and hands it to over to Suha.

The cup itself had no handle to grab hold of. Purely a cylinder and a decorative one at that. Suha would have to hold it with it resting in her right hand’s palm and holding it by the side with her left hand. “Thank you, Matron.” She bowed her head as per custom.

As Suha lifts the cup to take a sip, Tuilina tosses out a question “So what could I help you with, child?”

Lowering the cup, Suha chokes on the bitter liquid and lets out a small cough before speaking.“Well, what I need is not urgent if you two still need to speak.”

“We do” Laiya says.

Tuilina turns to her and sighs “Very well…Continue.”

Laiya raises an eyebrow at her and glances over at Suha “Preferably alone, Ma’am.”

“Whatever you can say to me, you can say in front of her.” While the Windchime Order and the Ohrion Conglomerate are two separate entities, they both share a bond thanks to their spirituality. While the Windchime Order puts out teachings and practice to hone your spiritual connection. The Ohrions take their spirituality and make it the driving force behind their mission of understanding all there is to know about the world the Maker created. There’s little reason for the Matron to have any distrust towards Suha when they’re of like mind.

Laiya squints to them “Very well…Though I hope you could fill her on our discussion thus far.”

Tuilina nods and turns to Suha “We’ve hit a hitch with the ‘Organic rejuvenation initiative’ in regards to cloning singular organs.” The Organic Rejuvenation Initiative is the flagship project ran by the Ohrion Conglomerate. The mission statement is simple, utilize cloning technology to restore lost limbs or replace the corruption of augmentations. Suha personally hated how the name sounded, but was in full support of what the project aimed to accomplish. Tuilina continues, “Both livers and lungs are failing to grow properly and it would be irresponsible to ever put them in a living being. Finding the correct formula for growth however has proven to be a bit of an issue.” Tuilina raises her hand towards Laiya “Laiya here then suggests raiding a research outposts belonging to the Serpentis inquest for the research we need.” Aside from drugs, the Serpentis have rumored to be into researching experimental cloning methods in a secondary department of the Serpentis called “Serpentis Inquest”

“Why not put in a request with the Regiment?” Suha asks, the idea of “raiding" sounded like it would require some military power, as such it would fall into the lap of the Mryskytuuli Regiment to handle the matter

Laiya speaks up, her voice cutting in like a dagger “Absolutely not.”

Suha looks at her with a confused look “Why not?”

“Everytime we ask the Regiment for help they send that warmonger out that ends up destroying valuable bits we could use and selling whatever else survives as “rightfully earned spoils". “ The warmonger Laiya was referring to was the Capsuleer the Regiment had at their disposal, a pilot by the name of Avio Yaken. Considered to be the biggest bread earner for the Zaibatsu and hailed as their star warrior that fights in representation of the Raata people. “I can handle this.”

“What you’re failing to realize is that we are not warriors. Only the Regiment has the personnel capable of raiding anything.” As per policy with the Zaibatsu, all entities operating under our banner must utilize the Mryskytuuli Reigment for all security needs. If they’re holding a gun, then they’re with the Regiment. This extends to any naval capabilities the Zaibatsu wishes to have. Laiya is a unique position, however, with her status as a Capsuleer. As a means not to trample on her independence she’s been allowed to acquire her own assets, some of which may very well be fully armed warships.

“I’ll employ a crew of mercenaries.”

Tuilina’s response was quick “That would only make matters worse!” Also, as policy declares. No entity is allowed to hire any military contractors aside from the Regiment. Aside from one exception…

“Stelmari.” Suha says, the two look at her “Stelmari could loan Laiya some of his personnel. We’d still be employing manpower inside the Zaibatsu that way.” The Stelmari Exchange is the only other entity apart of the Zaibatsu that had an armed force. The reason for this is primarily so their leader, Stelmari Oksasio, can protect his holdings on Pavannaka I. With that being said, his forces are recognized as an auxiliary force for the Regiment to use in dire situations.

Laiya turns to Tuilina “He’d also know how to look for leads on any Inquest outpost.”

Tuilina sighs “As well as one to engage in such skulduggery.” She moves over to the teapot on the table to pour herself another drink.

Laiya steps forward “We’re not harming our people in any way doing this. We’re doing the exact opposite in fact. All we’re doing is side stepping an unnecessary middle man in order to do our job. At the same time, showing the Regiment we can handle our own problems and do so our own way.”

Tuilina doesn’t respond right away, she just picks up the cup she poured some tea into, takes a sip and exhales “…Suha, what do you propose we do?”

Laiya darts here eyes between Tuilina and Suha “You’re making her decide?”

Tuilina’s head snaps towards Laiya’s direction “Would you rather we leave it to a coin toss?” Laiya doesn’t respond to that remark, aside from a light scoff. Tuilina turns her head back to Suha “We could stand here and bicker about what to do, or allow Suha to break this stalemate for us.”

First being dragged into this plot, Suha has now been made the one to break the tie and get the wheels of productivity moving again. Part of her said there was no wrong answer while the other directly contradicted that by painting each choice as a safe path and a risky one.

Leaving it to the Mryskytuuli Reigment to handle would be a safe move, but as Laiya pointed out, much of what the Ohrions could study would be confiscated as “spoils" and sold for funding. As well as maybe rubbing Laiya herself the wrong way.

Going the route Suha initially suggested and asking Stelmari for troops would be risky and may stir up some controversy if word got out. However, it would enable Laiya to pursue the target herself instead of letting the Regiment handle it. At the same time, may disappoint the Matron.

A choice presented itself

Which route should be followed?

• Ask the Mryskytuuli Regiment for help
  • Ask Stelmari for help.
0 voters
3 Likes