Raata Zaibatsu Chronicles

Skullduggery

Nannaras X

June 25th YC 120

…I propose we go with my idea of asking Stelmari for assistance, Matron.”

Tuilina nods “Very well then…”

Something about Tuilina’s short calm response unsettled Suha, so much so that she felt she should cobble up some explanation of her choice. She steps forward “I-I just have to agree with Laiya, the Regiment has grown greedy with their monopoly on military power in the Zaibatsu. The Conglomerate has an opportu-”

Tuilina raises up a palm, signaling for her to stop Suha. “I understand…” she lowers her hand “If I truly didn’t see any logic in this action I wouldn’t even dare leave it up to a decision.” She steps back and raises an arm up in both Laiya and Suha’s direction “Though young, I know you two possess the smarts to be wise in your own unique ways.” She drops her arms down to her side and looks to Laiya “…And I certainly don’t expect I’ll have to pass from this life with regrets for having placed my trust in you.”

“Of course not, Matron.” Laiya bends her head down, her posture impeccable as always.

“Good, now onto pressing matters - Stelmari” Tuilina shoots one last glance at the two before turning around to the FTL terminal in the room.

While Tuulina began moving her fingers across the machine’s interface, Suha glanced over to Laiya. The woman was stonefaced as she watched Tuilina. This came to no real surprise to Suha as she was well aware of Laiya’s ability to hide her emotions and remain a professional. Though Suha would’ve hope to see some excitement out of her after swinging the decision in her direction.

Tuilina steps back as the machine hums to life. The simplistic three-dimensional shape of a ring is projected. As a slight yellow highlight does laps within it signals that it was processing the call. The room fell silent for a brief moment as they waited. After about a minute the circle dissolves and in its place the hologram of a sturdy Civire man takes its place. The three in the room bow their heads in greetings. “Stelmari Oksasio” Tuilina says. They pick their heads up “We hope you are…doing…Oh." Realization sets in as she notices the hologram’s facial features were not Stelmari’s “Vaivari, apologies, I’ve mistaken you for your brother.”

The hologram was not of Stelmari but his younger brother Vaivari. A person who Suha admittedly knows very little about. The fact that the exchange is named after and focused on Stelmari and not his kin could be a product of that. Vaivati responds, “Not the first time that’s happened…” The digital representation folds his arms, “Anything I can help you with, Matron?”

“I appreciate your offer, it it is Stelmari that I must speak with.”

The hologram sighs, “He’s not here right now, he was suppose to be here an hour ago, but haven’t gotten a call from him or even given a glance towards him today.”

“I see…Unfortunate, but it can’t be helped.” Tuilina dips her head downward in a bow “I pray your brother is alive and safe.”
Vaivari’s arms drop to his side “Yeah…I hope so to-" The hologram looks to his left

“Oh-ho-ho! What do we got here?”

While Liaya and Tuilina continue to watch with mild confusion, Suha looks around the room as soon as hears Stelmari’s voice. Only to then realize it was coming from the other end of the call.

Stelmari’s voice continues “Taking my calls, brother?”

Vaivari’s hologram remains calm as he backs away “Sorry, just wanted to inform who’s calling you that you weren’t av-"

A hologram of Stelmari appears on the right, approaching Vaivari, he’s finger his held up and wagging back and forth “Adadada-tata” While Vaivari’s hologram sported a casual look of a T-shirt and fatigue pants, Stelmari’s wore a sharp business suit thatundoubtedly cost a thousand ISK. “They’ll know I’m not available if I. Don’t. Pick. Up. Understood?”

“…Yes brother, sorry.”

Stelmari tosses his arms up “Hey! It’s all good brother…” He’s arms drop to his side and finally acknowledges the three “…Well this call is already interesting.” a mild grin appears on his lips as he walks forward. From what pictures and footage Suha has seen of Stelmari, he appears to always have this grin on his face, as if it was his resting expression. “So! We got the Egger-" He points to Laiya “The honorable Matron-" moves his aim to Tuilina “…And you, the Wayist poster child here.” he lower his hand and scans the three again, only to then center back on Tuilina “What can I help you ladies with?”

Tuilina clears her throat out before speaking “Well, we need to discuss matters in private.” She looks over to Vaivari’s hologram that’s been standing to the side silently.

Stelmari’s digitized smirk expands, he looks over to Vaivari and nods his head in the direction he came from “I got business to deal with.” Without responding, Vaivari makes his way towards the right, soon his hologram flickers out. Stelmari focuses back on them “So, tell me the details, Matron…”

Tuilina nods her head “I’ll cut to straight to the point-"

Stelmari interjects “Straight shooter! Just how I like it.”

“Yes, now, what I ask is if the Exchange would be capable of lending our Capsuleer here-" Tuilina gestures over to where Laiya was standing, all while maintaining eye contact “- security for an expedition.”

Stelmari shrugs “With all due respect Ma’am, I’d figured someone like you would know that’s not my business.”

Suha looked over and noticed discomfort on Tuilina’s face, despite going along with this, she’s clearly not use to speaking deceptively. “Yes, I’m well aware of that, but the expedition we have in mind would most likely come off as to militaristic, thus handed off to the Regiment to handle. W-We however would like-”

Stelmari interjects once more “Look, I’m sorry, you said you were getting straight to the point, but you’re not being even straight about this. You’re fuckin-" Stelmari turns to his side and puts his arm up in the air, bending it in a straight line “-starting off like this-” his hand shoots downwards, complete with swirling motions “-then spinning out of control like a dropship pilot shitfaced on mindflood.”

Laiya steps forward “You will not speak to the Matron in such an outrageous tone!” she growls. Though one to keep on a professional look, Laiya’s passionate loyalty to the Ohrions and the Zaibatsu as a whole did tend to leak out when offended.

Stelmari points to himself “Hey! You three called me! About something that isn’t my job for that matter. You start off saying you’d get to the point, but i ain’t see the point yet.

Knowing Tuilina was clearly in a uncomfortable position, Suha speaks up “We need to borrow capable warriors in your employ to avoid getting the Regiment involved.”

Tuilina’s head snaps in the direction of her “Su-" Tuilina metaphorically bites her tongue and immediately shows signs of embarrassment as she raises a hand to her left temple. Laiya also shoots a disapproving glance at Suha.

Stelmari processes Suha’s outburst for a second before the grin on his face expands “Well…” He looks to Laiya and Tuilina “I didn’t hear that come out of the mouth of a Ohrion representative…Yet.”

Tuilina collects herself and carries on with the conversation “It is what we need.” Tuilina turns her head towards Suha “Albeit, poorly worded.” Suha couldn’t bring herself to make eye contact, all she could willfully do is dart her eyes off in some other direction, knowing full well the knives being aimed at her. Tuilina turns back to face Stelmari “The Conglomerate is in search of valuable research that could of benefit to the Zaibatsu. Obtaining it however may require some military expertise.”

Stelmari folds his arms “Still don’t get why you don’t take this to the Regiment.”

Laiya is the next to speak up “The Regiment has a tendency to hold out on all that is recovered in operations requested by us. Anything we don’t explicitly ask for is fair game to be sold for funding. We want to start taking these matters into our own hands.”

“So they give you what you ask for, but keep anything extra for themselves. Heh, yeah I’d be annoyed at that too.”

“So you’d help us?” Laiya queries

Stelmari scratches his chin “What’s in it for me?” Neither Tuilina nor Laiya have a response to give him and Suha had chosen to keep her mouth shut, regardless of if she had a solution. Stelmari sighs “Look, I’d love to help, but the rumors of me being sexually aroused at breaking rules is just that, a plausible truth. Unless there’s something for my troubles - I ain’t gonna take a risk like this.”

“How about Boosters?” Laiya asks

Tuilina’s reaction is lighting fast “Absolutely not.” More and more discomfort was noticeable in the elderly woman’s face.

Laiya places her hand on Tuilina’s shoulder “Please, allow me to explain Matron.”
She takes her place in front of Tuilina “The research we seek is related to cloning methods, as such we’ve determined an outpost belonging to the Serpentis Inquest might be our best target. With it belonging to the Serpentis, finding booster products would be more likely than not. Truthfully boosters are a field the Ohrions delve in, albeit with limits. What they could learn from it would be beneficial to their general pharmaceutical research, and at the same time a means to bring money into the Zaibatsu. However the only boosters they dare touch and sell are combat boosters specifically designed to be used by Capsuleers. Obviously Tuilina’s response was out of worry of Ohrion made goods being used as payment.

Stelmari is visibly curious at the idea “I can certainly find buyers for goods like that. Capsuleers gobble units up like candy. Plus taking them from the Serpentis means less paperwork.”

“Then we have a deal?” Laiya asks

“Maybe, first i gotta check if any of these pansies have the balls to even step foot on a Capsuleer ship. Then sort out from among them the ones who can keep their damn mouth shut about it.”

“That would be preferable.”

Stelmari scoffs at Laiya “It better be - But I’ll be in touch.” Stelmari’s arms extends forward as if to press a button, so on his hologram vanishes and the projector informs them that the call was disconnected.

Silence takes over the room, but Suha kills it with an apology attempt “M-Matron I apolo-

“Stop.” Tuilina says abruptly “Just…Not now.” Shot down, Suha stands in place like a statue as she watches Tuilina walk off towards the door. Laiya falls in behind, picking up the tea tray on her way out, she doesn’t bother looking at or saying anything to Suha.

Soon, it was just her in the room. Nothing there except her shame to keep her company. She doesn’t leave right away, instead she walks over to one of the chairs and sits down. She would take the time to reflect on her outburst and ponder on the damage she may have done to her relationship with the Matron.

Who’s perspective should be followed?

• [Follow Stelmari’s perspective]
  • [Follow Laiya’s perspective]
0 voters
2 Likes