[RAZSU] Zaibatsu Associated News Institute hub

Interview: Viokoro Velan on recent political victory and herself

Nannaras X

November 13th YC 120

In light of the recent decision made by the Patriarch to strip law enforcement from the Myrskytuuli Regiment’s list of responsibilities in response to criticism of the Regiment’s handling of it. ZANIE reaches out and gets in contact with the largest voice in the debate, Viokoro Velan. The Chief Fabricator of Salvaged Fortunes Industries. Viokoro would sit down for a talk to give further insight on her motives to challenge the Regiment and reveal more information about herself.

We go now to a transcript of the conversation between Viokoro Velan and Hoovand Lindus

[Hoovand]
“Tonight, sitting across from me is Chief Fabricator of Salvaged Fortune Industries - Viokoro Velan. Viokoro, thank you for coming in. Care to tell me how you’re feeling after your political victory?”

[Viokoro]
“Political vic- Woah, woah-ho-ho let’s uh…How about we slow down for a second Hoovand? You’re starting of…A little to aggressive maybe?”

[Hoovand]
“I’m sorry?”

[Viokoro]
“A political victory? That’s a little extreme don’t you think?”

[Hoovand]
“Is that not what this is?”

[Viokoro]
“No, that’s not what I would call this. I wasn’t trying to get 1-up on anyone, I was just pointing out a glaring flaw in the Zaibatsu and well…It got corrected.”

[Hoovand]
“But you’re at least satisfied the Patriarch sided with your arguments in the debates leading up to his final decision?”

[Viokoro]
“He didn’t-…Sure Hoovand, I’m satisfied. Let’s go with that.”

[Hoovand]
“Alright, now I want to know why this was such a huge concern to you. One large enough to give you the courage to speak your mind.”

[Viokoro]
“It’s…Not obvious to you? You don’t see the immediate red flag that is having our supposive military force also be the cops on the street? Enforcing the law with military grade equipment? With military training? There’s tons of people that came here that share my concern - just none of them has a line to guy in charge here like I do.”

[Hoovand]
“So in a way you spoke on the behalf of the people?”

[Viokoro]
“Nobody appointed me to speak on their behalf, I simply just shared their fear and said what I had to say.”

[Hoovand]
“Do you not think now that our officers’ equipment has been downgraded there will be a new fear emerging? One were our first responder will be under trained and equipped to deal with external threats?”

[Viokoro]
“No-…No one gives a ■■■■ about us.”

[Hoovand]
“Viokoro, please. There are plenty of parties that won’t discriminate against us being a target. Blood Raiders for example, opportunist pirates like the Angel Cartel or even Sansha’s Nation who will pluck planets dry of its population. These threats deserved to be treated to out capable troops in the Regiment”

[Viokoro]
“So have a military base setup nearby? I don’t see why there’s gotta be - armed to the teeth - soldiers in front of the local cafe and having to be the guy someone talks to if they drop a piece of trash on the ground.”

[Hoovand]
“Certainly you’re not suggesting our soldiers would’ve done something extreme in a trivial case like that.”

[Viokoro]
“…I’m absolutely suggesting that, yes. I’m fully aware of how stingy administration here is about littering, there’s practically signs EVERYWHERE across Hoiyori warning against littering anywhere. Hell, there was a sign right outside the door to this studio.

[Hoovand]
“Well…Alright then, if you don’t mind I’d like steer us into a new topic. More specifically, I want to ask about your upbringing and learn more about who you are.”

[Viokoro]
“Alright, a little random but…Okay? What do you want to know?”

[Hoovand]
“You were born on a space station, correct?”

[Viokoro]
“Correct, me and my clan settled in a dinky station in a deadspace pocket in the Aldik system. Our trade was salvage, we would pick clean any wrecks or ruined outposts in the system made either by the Republic Fleet, pirates and eventually Capsuleers.”

[Hoovand]
“We all learn from the environment we are raised in. I take it from what you told me you found your interest in engineering here?”

[Viokoro]
“…In a manner of speaking. It was less of an interest and more of a job. I was to young to go on any salvage tug, but old enough to make minor repairs to the station we lived on. Then got bumped up to bigger repair jobs, then finally got put on a salvage tug when I was old enough and learned about different starship components and how to remove them, what they’re connected to and what that’s connected to as well…I may be biting off more than I can chew, but I’m almost positive I could assemble a functioning Reaper without a blueprint.”

[Hoovand]
“A bold claim, but one we don’t have time to test you on. Now would you say you miss this station? It would be your homelands so to speak, wouldn’t it?”

[Viokoro]
“The station got blown up years ago.”

[Hoovand]
“Oh…”

[Viokoro]
“Yeah, a Capsuleer did it in fact. I think the news article I saw covering it said something about the Capsuleer looking for “Deadspace Modules” or something, I dunno. My clan cleared out and I went off and got a job on another station long before that happened.”

[Hoovand]
“Well, that its very fortunate for you and your family to move out before this tragedy occurred. I do apologize for the loss of your home though.”

[Viokoro]
“Please, it was a fedo infested shithole. Glad I’ve put that place behind me. A shame that there people still aboard but…That’s just life in space.”

[Hoovand]
“Space is a very hostile environment. As the Windchimes put it, it’s the frontier that demands fortitude out of those seeking to carve a life out there…But having come planetside to Hoiyori. Would you say you prefer life aboard a station better than being planetside?”

[Viokoro]
“That’s…a tough question honestly. I’m more familiar and comfortable with the recycled air and cramped corridors you find on a station. But having come here? I have to say I like it, it’s beautiful here. It’s like living in a painting almost, there’s just so much color here. Wide open spaces and flavorful air. I may not like the gravity all to much, but I certainly don’t hate being on this planet.”

[Hoovand]
“That’s good to hear, now I want to take a few steps and ask about your family, your uh…clan?”

[Viokoro]
“Yes, what about them?”

[Hoovand]
“Well, are any of them here in the colony?”

[Viokoro]
“No, they got no interest in coming over here, none of them would even get past the literacy test colony administration hands out.”

[Hoovand]
“Well that’s a shame, must be heartbreaking to be so far away from family.”

[Viokoro]
“Not really, I’ve gotten so use to being so far away from the nest that it doesn’t bother me anymore. If I wanted to chase after opportunities, it was something I had to get over.”

[Hoovand]
“And i assume that’s what you see your position in the Zaibatsu as? An opportunity?”

[Viokoro]
“That’s what I saw it as…I was formerly a blue collar grunt working for a neglectful company. Then I get an offer to be in charge of all industrial operations for an organization? Hell of a promotion to have land in your lap. Now I never saw myself as someone sitting at the top of a corporate ladder, but here I am…”

[Hoovand]
“Do you doubt your capabilities to lead the industrial division of the Zaibatsu?”

[Viokoro]
“No, i may not have any experience, but I know what needs to be done. I have all the power in this sector of the Zaibatsu and I have to use it responsibly. I have to look after the workforce put under my charge, make sure they have safe working conditions, fairly compensated, have access to people to talk to if they’re having trouble with management…I served time in the trenches of a factory with horrific conditions. I don’t want people to suffer though like I did and many others. By taking this position in the Zaibatsu, I’m becoming the leader I would’ve wanted and giving my all to the workers i’m responsible for."

[Hoovand]
“Well said, Viokoro. Now I regret to be the bearer of bad news, but we’re running out of time. Viokoro, do you have any final remarks?”

[Viokoro]
“Nah, I don’t gotta anything I need to say”

[Hoovand]
“Very well then. Viokoro Velan, it was an honor speaking to you.”

[Viokoro]
“Likewise, I suppose.”

6 Likes