Reactive Armour Hardener Mechanic Question

I’m curious about the RAH module - there are two schools of thought as to how it works and I was wondering if any other players (or maybe CCP?) could clarify. Does the RAH:

1. Match its overall 60% resist profile to the incoming damage profile (ie if I am being shot 33%TH and 66%KN it would set its resist to 20%TH and 40%KN)

or

1. Attempt to match my ships own resist profile to that of the incoming damage.

Trying to google this yields a lot of conflicting information, maybe some clarification should be included in the module description tab? I’m hoping that it is 2) as this gives it better utility for plugging armour holes.

There are a couple of responses on this from CCP Larrikin in this GitHub discussion:

Ah, thank you! Glad that this is explained somewhere.

Although I would really recommend that this is explained in the module description…

It will change resistances away from the damage types it’s not getting hit buy, and to the damage types it is getting hit by. This mechanic totally ignores how much damage is done.

Ex. if you’re fighting Guristas and getting shot by a lot of railguns and scourge (kinetic) missiles, the railguns will cause the resist profile to go to 30% therm/30% kinetic. If you don’t get hit by any hybrid turrets for a cycle, the damage will shift more toward kinetic. Same thing with Angels, nova (explosive) missiles, and whatever they’ve decided to do with their autocannons.

Or, if you’re in PvP and think the other guy has a reactive armor hardener, you can cease fire for a while so your drones can move your opponent’s resist profiles around so your target has a resist hole for your primary weapons system to shoot through. Or you can whale on a target with one flavor of projectile, then swap and turn on overload to exploit the resist hole you’ve made for yourself.

… and, if you’re on the other end of that, you can turn the RAH off and on to (reset, not resist!) the resists, saving a couple of cycles to correct for the trickery.

Ta, I figured that it could be gamed.

Far as I can tell the TLDR is that it looks at the damage you are receiving, after your resists, and attempts to match that profile.

uo uo i

yo uo o

Wait, no, you are right. I read the pyfa reply more closely, when no longer alt-tabbed.

Hmm, maybe not so good to plug a specific hole then, specifically thinking explosive for cruiser armour. If it tends toward 30/30 resists, then eanm’s will do almost the same job, but cap-free.

Best used if you anticipate a situation where you know that you will receive one particular type of damage, but are not sure which one. (Drones or missiles).

How many EANM?

RAH don’t get stacking penalties with EANM. They get stacking penalties with damage controls, which… aren’t very significant.

Ah yes, I forgot the stacking side of things. T2 EANM is 25% across the board when skilled up IIRC. So I guess there is a good case for RAH if you already have one EANM. (As second EANM would only be around 20%, effectively)

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.