Realistic Bounty System

Your post adresses me as well, but neither me or Ima are evil and you should rethink that choice of a word.

I am quite certain that you overestimate how people will behave in regards to “hunting criminals”. Furthermore am I absolutely sure that there will be quite the few white knights and carebears thinking they’ll have easy game until they start crying OCEANS OF TEARS, FLOODING THE FORUMS about how the evil meany destroyed their ship.

Because that is, by far, the most likeliest outcome.

Keep on keeping on, though. Not trying to ■■■■ into this bucket of yours.

“evil” was in sarcasm…as mentioned, I support CODE and other such content creators…no insult was intended…

As for your other point, you might be right but that would fall under the 'to-be-seen" category. The most important bit that CCP would need to stress is just now tough/dangerous/risky bounty hunting would be. People can cry all they want but if there is a sign on the wall telling everyone the reality of the situation then the fault rests at the feet of the whiners, not anyone else. I point to bumping as a great example of that and while ganking has gotten harder over the years, it’s still rather easy.

I don’t think this will impact me alot. Since I’m -10 and everyone can shoot me and Facpo is constantly chassing me I’m pretty hard to catch.

So they will probably just camp a target and when I show up whore on the CONCORD killmail to get the kill and then go back to wherever they came from.

Also another point which will not be relevant for most criminals, but maybe also worth thinking about… I operate out of w-space currently which makes tracking me down probably a bit more complicated :grin:

I think this will mainly impact gankers who rep their sec status. And it will pissoff people who care about their bounty.

Just for the record: This is accurate. There are many who behave like this.

Some years ago some random guy, after years since it happening, still chest beat about some kill mail where he whored on my loss to CONCORD. He insisted on me remembering him, and me being seriously affected by a 0% damage whore mail.

I feel there should be two bounty pools, kinda like in real life.

Historically, law enforcement can put out bounties, a pool of money generally not available to the criminal element. Even if a criminal wanted to stab another criminal in the back, their options to collect that bounty would be limited.

The other pool of money would be for the shadier side of society. A person may have displeased Lady Abyss, and she would like to make sure that person has an “understanding”. Hit lists, contracts, or whatever you want to call them, would be available to essentially anybody willing to try to collect on it. A criminal just may stab another criminal in the back for this money.

Law enforcement bounties I think should only be able to be collected in high sec, as that is their “jurisdiction”. Also, it could make high sec a less dull place. In addition, lawful bounties maybe should only be able to be paid into during the duration a person is suspect, or anytime someone is criminal. This would keep the pool solely for what it is intended, retribution against criminal acts.

Criminal bounties can be collected anywhere I think. What system it should use, I’m not sure, whether it should be a pool, contracts, etc… A pool makes it impersonal, whereas a contract could make things more personal. Not sure which would be better.

The outlaw community has made high sec more interesting. My intentions are not to diminish the outlaws’ way of life. Just trying to bring some ideas to the table that could possibly create more stories. :sunglasses:

Oh, one more thought. I think it would add flavor to the game if two different bounty pools were implemented, that the devs put in two new cut scenes for pod kills. If someone collected a law enforcement bounty on a pod, the cut scene would show that they got hanged, and then their body pushed out the airlock. The other cut scene would be if someone collected the non-law enforcement bounty, a group of guys beat the crap out of the person and then promptly ejected into space… just a thought… :joy:

The big problem with just putting bounties on people without cause is what Ima Wreckyou pointed out. You will have people just bountying every freighter and Orca they see just for S&Gs. Tose pilots in turn will stop flying their ships and spend all day here sobbing.

The only way my proposal works is to take the player out of the application of the bounty process and then to make the target anonymous. This removes the silly factor, farming factor and give reward for those that think that have what it takes…

That being said, I do like the idea of contacts that can only be issued by criminals on other criminals but I’m not going to pursue that here as it will just muddy the waters…

Rewrite coming soon…

Fixed a few points and added “CCP’s roll” and “Skills” to the core idea.

Again, thanks to those who have offered their thoughts…hope CCP chimes in on this but I wont hold my breath. :cry:

Unless I’m missing something, isn’t this a possibility with the current system? I haven’t heard of this being an issue. It seems like a shady industrialist should be able to put a (criminal/contract) bounty on their rivals. Of course their rivals would likely know who did it, or deduce it, and can return the favor. So it may or may not be a thing. At this time, I am not convinced it’s harmful, but since it does not directly relate to lawful bounties, I will move on.

There is an issue that seems to get passed over in the proposed automatic bounty though. What about someone going suspect by stealing or whatever? How do you value a bounty on that? The current system still allows a person to put a bounty on a suspect, which I think is a fair mechanic. The suspect wronged someone in an “illegal” way, and that someone should be able to enact retribution through the bounty system if they cannot or will not during the event. That’s why a system should be in place that adds to bounty while a person is suspect. How much though? Should it be decided by a formula or by the offended player?

You can’t kill/destroy a ship unless the target/system security status allow you to else you will be Concorded in the current system. You would need a fleet (that you would lose) to gank the target and then hope the 20% of the bounty covers your losses.

The stealing point is not covered by my proposal. Players cannot have the ability to directly put bounties on others. While your logic might sound good, it would be quickly gamed…

If a non-law enforcement bounty or contract system were to be created, I would like to think it would not enable kill rights, so Concording in high sec would still hold true. It would be separate from the proposed bounty hunting system that does enable a ‘sort of’ kill right. My intent is not to muddy up the proposed lawful bounty system, so I will again end it here. I just wanted to clarify the difference between the two different systems.

EDIT: Also to be clear, I meant if the two systems existed concurrently.

I would have to agree to disagree here. The bounty system pool has always been player determined as far as I can recall. The devs have some reasoning for this. It may be the psychological factor that the player personally had a hand in determining how much retribution there should be or something like that. But I will leave it at that, as I would be content to see any improvement over the current system.

I would suggest something like Corps or players being able to get something like System/Constellation/Region Privilege which would allow them to engage Bounties in High-Sec for those system, just like they could in Low Sec. All systems with Sec status below 1.0 would qualify, but the higher the sec status the higher the bounty needs to be in order to qualify as a target.

I feel like this would be extremely difficult to code for in a deterministic way such that it could be both useful and not abusable.

Offhandedly I would suggest that players create a site to aggregate bounties, and allow hunters to submit claims against those bounties to whomever is sponsoring them when they believe they fulfill the conditions specified in the bounty. Tack on a community rating system of some kind and a bit of moderation and perhaps such a system could work for a targeted group of bounty placers fitting a certain description or disposition.

There is definitely risk in refusing to pay an offered bounty to a bounty hunter. Even Darth Vader pays Boba Fett. Bounty hunters in Eve could use some means of gaining such notoriety, and a player run bounty aggregator might be a step in that direction.

I don’t think this is really CCP’s job, though it’s one they attempted to do. Putting a price on someone’s head has never been an exact science. It has traditionally been the job of the person placing the bounty to put the word out, and the job of the hunter to keep an ear to the ground for potential employment. What’s missing, I think, is the venue by which the word would travel to the ear. Perhaps there’s a slice of fame for whoever creates the first successful bounty bar, or maybe it’s a bad idea altogether that I’ll think better of after I’ve had a bit of rest.

This would place the bounty hunter at a serious disadvantage, as he would not be able to check killboards for research on probably ships his target would fly.

On the plus side, the anonymity would make it possible for people to start farming bounty hunters, as they would be incapable of checking killboards to see they are the prey instead of the hunter.

The ID can be circumvented by having the bounty hunter travel with an alt, and comparing local lists.

if the had what it takes, they’d roll ganking alts and go bounty hunting. People have a broken perspecti e about the profession and there is no realistic change that can make it work. if you want to go hunting for bounty, you can do that already. The game’s fine, people are broken.

As long as ideas try to cater to delusional escapistic white knights who want to identify as honourable bounty hunters, there is no way of achieving any successfull change whatsoever, because their idea of a bounty hunter is broken beyond any chance of repair due to their unrealistic expectations and lack of actual claws and teeth.

Most people asking for a change to bounty hunting are weak and full of hot air. you can’t design mechanics for them, because they have no clue how to behave properly in an environment where bountied players would shoot back!

If you want to go hunting for bounty, stop believing your character is you and just roll a ganking char. people scared of concord and the facpo don’t deserve to call themselves bounty hunters.

PS: Han Solo shot first.

BH’ing is a hard job and not meant for the timid…

“if you want to go hunting for bounty, you can do that already”

No you can’t as that’s called ganking…you will get Concorded and the return will be too low to make this a viable profession…that’s why people don’t do it…

Ganking is not bounty hunting…you need to know the difference…

What do you mean? People regularly suicide gank other players and turn a profit, and that is without a bonus payment provided by a bounty. Why is it not possible to suicide gank someone in an expensive ship or pod to collect a bounty? I know I’ve collected bounties this way.

Some of the most prolific bounty hunters in the game are suicide gankers, like @Aaaarrgg, who regularly snag expensive pods flown by people with large bounties on their head.

You need to live a little. CONCORD isn’t the end all and be all of highsec. It is just another cost and game mechanic to consider. Don’t let those pencil-pushers tell you what to do.

Ganking is not the same as BH’ing…

Yes you can turn a profit by ganking (I did) and it helps when you are CODE and reimbursed. But targeting miners and haulers is not the same as specifically working as a bounty hunter.

“bounty hunting” is not a title, it is an activity. When i as ganker decide to shoot only those who have bounty, i am literally bounty hunting.

YOU want a title! Something you can identify with! That is the reason you write this. Fact is that anyone who decides to go hunting for pilots with bounty is literally a bounty hunter and your escapistic views do not change any of that.