Resource extraction in lowsec

This implies a structure or a POS tower setup. And I’m assuming since you’re asking here, you’re a 1-player operation.

You can use the smallest tower and a compression array to minimize your cost to mine and haul out low/null sec ore. Similar to what Brown mentioned, you have to be choosy about your system, and it is not without risks. I second everything mentioned about bookmarks and actively keeping an eye on local and learning the region where you’ll mine.

While I did do some low sec mining, I instead went to NPC nullsec to mine Mercox/Bistot/Arkonor solo. Procurer and Prospect were my ships of choice. Certain anomalies do not spawn rats. At the opposite end of the spectrum, certain nullsec belts I would have to be lucky with rats neither spawning/warping to safely mine. Dread/Super/Titan rats are not to be around with mining ships, and attracts players who want the bounty+loot.

For Low-sec mining, you can either have high enough drone skills with your procurer to kill the rats, or you can sig+speed tank the rats in your prospect, so you never technically need a second toon. Though it is often useful (even for just scouting info). This is probably the only teeny tiny bit of advice I’d diverge from Brown on: speed tanking in a Venture I believe should be possible for low sec rats that spawn in most anomalies.

All of this to say: I did that insane mining setup because it was fun, danger lurking at every turn and every gate and every neut, you only have your wits and no guns to stay safe. I didn’t do it for the money. It was not very profitable.

EDIT: Also, as a 1-player, talk in local. Get to know your neighbors. Turns out, this is a social game, even if you’re a solo player, so don’t play alone.

3 Likes