Respectable Ranged Cruiser DPS with Skills @ IV

Hi All,

Trying to determine what would be considered respectable non-missile DPS for a ranged cruiser (20km+) where gunnery is primary and drones are secondary, assuming your toon has level IV trained in all cruiser races as well as level IV in all medium gunnery and drones.

I’ve historically thought in general that anything above 300 DPS is decent and anything above 400 is outstanding, but then I look at VNI’s doing 600 DPS accurately while flying 1,000m/s and engaging at 60km and suddenly I’m not so sure any more.

Is there a general rule of thumb on DPS targets for ranged ships?

Are you talking T1 only or T2 included? And what are you wanting to do? Mimic the VNI? ONI is an amazing cruizer. Stabber, Vegabond are also great. Zealot can be thrown into the mix also.

In terms of a general rule of thumb, it all depends on what you want to do. I.E. Scram Kite, Brawl, Anti-Kite etc…

Mostly looking to kite and not be caught.

The ONI is perfect for the job. Stabber can do pretty good too.

Omen Navy Issue with Scorch?

Yeah, or Multi Freq, Lemme get you my fit I love to run.

This is my go to fit for the ONI.

[Omen Navy Issue, ONI-C-0900]
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Heat Sink II
Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer
Heat Sink II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Heat Sink II

50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Medium Capacitor Booster II
Warp Disruptor II

Heavy Pulse Laser II
Heavy Pulse Laser II
Small Energy Neutralizer II
Heavy Pulse Laser II
Heavy Pulse Laser II

Medium Energy Locus Coordinator I
Medium Energy Locus Coordinator II
Medium Ancillary Current Router II

Hobgoblin II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5

Imperial Navy Multifrequency M x4
Scorch M x4
Nanite Repair Paste x160
Conflagration M x4
Navy Cap Booster 800 x7

Thanks. What about regular Omen to get the 5th hardpoint on there?

ONI

Amarr Cruiser bonuses (per skill level):
10% bonus to Medium Energy Turret damage
10% bonus to Medium Energy Turret optimal range

Omen

Amarr Cruiser bonuses (per skill level):
10% reduction in Medium Energy Turret activation cost
5% bonus to Medium Energy Turret rate of fire

You lose out on your 40% increased optimal Range and also 40% damage if you’re only at lvl 4 switching to an Omen. Thus making kiting and not being caught much less effective.

You need Lvl V for T2 guns. 12 additional skilling days for each weapon group, what a pita.
Just finished Railguns and Blasters, now the fun begins. Until now, I am with you, 300+ DPS for Kiters feels OK. That’s why I prefer Brawlers :wink:

I love me some brawl, But you can’t brawl against kiting. The best brawlers have 1 or more to help out just in case.
Also the current meta is kiting. How do you fight kiting? Bring more kite. or specifically build for anti-kite… Which is another PITA in it’s own, especially cruiser based.

Gotcha, makes sense.

PvP or PvE? In PvP I prefer AFs, they were easier to skill :slight_smile:
PvE: Sleepers I have to kite, true. Gonna have a look what my Hurricane dishes out.
But PvE Battleships are repping and a Kiter with limited DPS is still in range of their guns and you need veeery long to bring it down - sometimes my DPS even was not enough to kill them at all. So I bought a Talos with large Blasters and those woes became history…

Can you just orbit in close on the battleships with a cruiser or below and in theory they can’t hit you?

Yes, their dps is very reduced when you are close and quickly moving.

@Boldly_Gone PvP. I’m assuming his request of Kiting and not being caught meant PvP.

@Roman_Delta Technically yes, but in reality no. There are a few things to consider. Smartbombs, Drones, Tracking Enhancers, Webs/Grapples. Most Battleships will have a grapple or web or a Grapple/Web Combo to stop smaller ships in small gang/solo. pull Range, get blapped, learn to zig zag, Stay out of web range 10-14k, keep your transversal up at all times. Don’t MWD. Know who to fight and when.

Good advice, thanks.

If you see a megathron not shooting while you are 30k out, or missing at 30k. Don’t close distance. You will see what a grapple/web combo will do to your face when those large blasters meet your hull LOL

1 Like

Attacking a PvP BS solo in a T1 cruiser is bold, good luck :slight_smile: .
In a group, you have to be lucky not to be primary and consider bombs and smartbombs, true. And then it’s DPS time, because of their mighty tank. It’s tactics and coordination, the FC’s job. Thus they normally have a doctrine and tell you how to fit anyway.

^^This, also for PvE!
Had to learn that the hard way, your cruiser receives monster hits by BS when your MWD blooms.

A lot of people attack Battleships in cruisers. 2 weeks ago I almost had a solo armageddon kill in the same ONI fit. He was fit for neuts though. But those station games… You know, just can’t beat station docks.

Smart bombs are easy though. They have short range. Staying at least 10k out will stop this. Flying solo will REALLY teach you 2 things. How to lose ships, or how to keep em alive. How you learn is up to you.

And yes, MWD on a cruiser makes it obtain a near battleship size sig radius. This is horrible if you are trying to stay under guns.

1 Like