Laser vs missile dps question

I’m trying to compare/understand laser dps to missile dps.

My raven has 750 dps and a rate of fire of 7 seconds.

I’m trying to build an Amarr battleship with similar dps at 60+ km optimal. Most I can get is around 300 or so dps at 3-4 seconds rate of fire.

But I’m realizing that in order to have similar dps to my raven I have to times my laser rof by 2. Because my thinking is if my lasers do 300 ish dps every 3s, that means they will do 600+ in 6-7 seconds which is the rof of the raven.

So technically I can out dps the raven if I have faster rof and slightly more damage.

Is this the correct way to look at this?

DPS means damage per second. The ROF doesn’t matter. ^^

4 Likes

You have to take into account what you are shooting at remember. Different weapons for differnet rats and all that

1 Like

Turret mechanics and missile mechanics are vastly different. Missiles will always look like they do much more damage at a vastly superior range, but its up to the targets speed, signature, and etc on how much actually gets applied.

DPS is a your volly\RoF

Here is an example T2 Raven with T2 Cruise missiles

Here is a rough sample of what it’s actual DPS would be on a variety of targets at their orbit speed around you.

3 Likes

paper DPS is only relevant when you actually apply that DPS.

besides that

Imgur
500 DPS@97km.

click here to see fit
[Apocalypse, *Simulated Apocalypse Fitting]
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Capacitor Power Relay II
Capacitor Power Relay II
Large Armor Repairer II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

Tracking Computer II
Tracking Computer II
Large Cap Battery II
Large Micro Jump Drive

Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Auto Targeting System I

Large Energy Locus Coordinator II
Large Energy Locus Coordinator II
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Scorch L x7
Optimal Range Script x2
2 Likes

Wow fast replies and a lot of information!

My Raven fit is:
I have 6 t2 launchers w/ fury em, 4BCS, 1MGE, 3Rigor Rigs, 2Target Painters, MJD, and some tank.

I rat in null against drones, I warp at 100km and snipe from there and MJD out if they get too close.

It takes me 20-30 min to finish one Drone Horde site.

What Amarr battleship can perform similarly? And I don’t have skills or money for a Paladin. Can fly t1 bs only.

Missiles are often preferred for PvE because you can select your damage type. They have two big disadvantages that don’t always get accounted for:

1. They take a long time to reach the target. This would average out over time, except that you often end up wasting entire volleys of missiles because the target is destroyed before the missiles arrive. Turrets apply damage instantly, so there are no wasted volleys.
  2. Missiles have a higher “alpha” strike - meaning the per-volley damage is higher. This is another way that damage gets wasted, since whatever extra damage your missiles would have done on the last volley is not applied to anything.

My experience with missiles is that they are a lot slower than turrets. They are easier to manage and more flexible, but do less damage overall. The math on turrets is more complicated, and once small targets get close to you it can be difficult to apply any damage at all. With missiles you can just keep pounding that interceptor with cruise missiles and eventually you will win.

2 Likes
  1. They take signature a lot into account, so even if the target is closing to you you can’t apply fully. Missiles ships need to use painters / MGC / rigors to apply relevant DPS, especially with cruise and torps, while the turrets ships can just make the angular of the target lower by being far enough.
5 Likes

This is a good point, since the NPC rats tend to spend a lot of time flying straight toward you and missiles cannot take advantage of this.

1 Like

So in that case an Apocalypse or an Abaddon with beams would work better in I warp in at 100km? And I’d let drones take care of the small stuff.

the fit I gave is fit pulse scorch.

2 Likes

I use a rattle with cruises and sentries. When I land i deploy sentries at about 50-70 km. The frigs will mwd towards me and be installed by sentries. Once they are done I take care of the big guys. When some of them are too close, deploy heavies. Been very effective so far.

Similar, but mix of light and heavy drones for close in combat, and sentries for range.
Use HRML’s with Twin Tracking computers with ether range or precision scripts. Use cheap T1 missiles.

Works a treat, tends to work better than cruise or light.

Forgot to mention I got lights too xD

You can also try the Typhoon. It can field 4 Sentry Drones for the incoming small stuff (Curators for ~ 60 km or Wardens for ~ 100 km) and Cruise Missiles for Battleships and Battlecruisers. I don’t know these sites, so you might need to adapt the tank to their exact damage type.

Typhoon Fleet is even better as it can field a full flight of sentries but the price difference…

[Typhoon, *Simulated Typhoon Fitting]
Ballistic Control System II
Co-Processor II
AE-K Compact Drone Damage Amplifier

Large Micro Jump Drive
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Missile Guidance Computer II
X-Large C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I

Cruise Missile Launcher II
[Empty High slot]

Large Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Large Core Defense Capacitor Safeguard I

Imperial Navy Acolyte x5
Curator II x4

Missile Precision Script x1
Mjolnir Precision Cruise Missile x2500
Mjolnir Fury Cruise Missile x5000

1 Like

A major factor is that lasers are a more elegant weapon for a civilised age.

7 Likes

16 Likes

DPS is subjective.

DPS of missiles has a maximum damage, and can only do less based on target size, speed, missile explosive radius and explosive velocity.

The have a 100% hit if target is in range. There is no way to control the path of a missile once it has been launched. It will point itself at its target and follow the target until it hits or runs out of fuel.
For more info on missile damage; https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Missile_mechanics

Lasers and other weapons do have an DPS, but this is subject to if the hits lands, and then how well the hit lands. They all have a possible of 300% damage with a critical hit.
For more info on turrets; https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Turret_mechanics

Just to throw an extra spanning in you then have resistance adjustments to your damage.

DPS = DAMAGE/CYCLE TIME

The high the damage the better the DPS
The lower cycle-time or higher ROF the better the DPS

Get both and you have a great DPS potential, but still subject to other factors.

1 Like

Best meme EVER!!!

nope.

If a launcher has a 1.5 average missile duration, and missile go 10km/s, half the missiles will be 1s so 10km, half will be 2s so 20km.
Your launcher shows 15km range but only 50% of missiles will hit at this range.

if the TTL of missiles is eg 10.1 s, speed 20km/s, 90% of your missiles will be limited to 200km, and 10% will reach 220 km, while the launcher will tell a 202 km range actually only 10% of the missiles will hit at that range.

1 Like