Returning player who does not remember how to fly

hello everyone,
as a returning player, I was used to a nice feature for free flying back in the days.
Using the tactical overlay I was able to specify an exact point in the space to fly the ship to, with a couple of clicks: the first one was the actual “radial” distance, and the second one was sort of an elevation angle, much like a spherical coordinate system centered on the current ship position.
Yesterday I came back into space but I couldn’t find any means of flying like this, nor could I find any explicit resource or information about that.
Can anybody shed some light?

thank you in advance

1 Like

You are confusing games. EVE has never had that, that was homeworld.
EVE uses a double click when facing a direction to fly to that point in space.

I remember Homeworld well, it had an equivalent of cylindrical coordinates, whereas Eve had spherical ones.

I’m pretty sure I used them at least once last year. There was a L2 mission with lots of enemies (“barricade”? sort of?) who left lots of loot containers. I used to fly through the containers just using this method in order to stop in a point of space so that I could open more than one container at once.

Or I might have had it all in my head ^^;

Found at last!
It was the “approach” command, the [ q ] key!

3 Likes

So, the way you fly in eve is, first you get into the pod, connect the tube thingies to the back of your body, then clench your fist to turn the engine on. After that, you just have to think about it, and the ship will move.

Can confirm this works for me.

For reference: When you hold Q (by default the key for the “approach”-coammand) you get a blue line connected to your cursor.
You can now click a object (ship, station, container, gate, etc…) to apporach or you can click in a direction in space to select the direction, then you can move the cursor again to change the angle (up or down) and click again. Your ship should align there now.

Most people probably do this by using the rotation camera centered around the ship and double-click in space.

1 Like

Hi Nevyn

This is the first thing I thought too lol.

Wow. Tried it today. That is new. Approach button never used to do that. You learn things every day. Cheers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.