Rifter vs Condor

This character is an Alpha and in Minmatar FW. I am happily losing ships lol but on this one am curious as the what happened. Perhaps it is just down to skills, and if so then I wonder about the solo prospects of this character.

The Condor was more than likely the fit below.

Condor

[Condor, Condor]
Ballistic Control System II
Damage Control II

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster
Stasis Webifier II

Small Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer
Rocket Launcher II,Caldari Navy Scourge Rocket

Small EM Shield Reinforcer I
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst I

My Rifter fit was like this.

Rifter

[Rifter, Rifter]
Damage Control I
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer
200mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
Gyrostabilizer II

Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier
1MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner

200mm Light Prototype Automatic Cannon

Small Projectile Metastasis Adjuster I
Small Projectile Collision Accelerator I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Republic Fleet EMP S x384
Republic Fleet Fusion S x537
Fusion S x840
Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S x540
EMP S x1101
Nanite Repair Paste x11

The Condor was at a novice plex. I warped in and he was about 7k from me, I pulsed the AB and orbited him, I think i was maybe 1.4km away. I got him to about 50% armour before I exploded. I was using RF EM Ammo.

He was hitting me with Scourge Rage and had a neut on me although I was not neuted out when I exploded.

I am aware that he was hitting me for full damage and i was in falloff but wondered if there was anything I could do better/different or is it jsut a skills/luck thing. I was looking at the Novice Frigates Yearbook 2020b and the success rate of Rifters against Condors is very high (the highest one shown in fact) and whilst I am not niave enough to thin k i will win every fight i thought it may have been closer.

any constructive feedback welcome.

Skills & T2 modules make a large difference in DPS. It also doesn’t help that kinetic is a hole in a lot of minmatar ships.

2 Likes

As an alpha without T2 guns, you probably lost at least 25% of your potential damage from modules alone. Another 10% from your skills (Level 5 + specializations), and you’re looking at having only 66% of your potential damage.

The condor was most likely using CN scourge for the application, or even precision for the range. You can’t really speedtank that in an alpha rifter, so going into optimal might’ve actually been better for you.

As an alpha, since you lose a fair chunk of dps, it might be better to fly hard counters only. It will probably be harder for you to get fights however. For example, you can kill even relatively expensive ships like catalysts

in a cheap condor

because the catalyst has almost no control modules, while you can range tank from 17km away.

You can also do a similar technique with double web kestrels/hookbills against ships with little control, like merlins, incursus or any brawler that doesn’t have a lot of spare midslots.

1 Like

@Nepsy - thanks for the reply, he was def using Scourge Rage as I took a look through my logds afterwards, but yeah T2 guns is the way to go, I cannot increase the specilisation skills any more

You had already lost the duel on the fitting screen before the fight even began; might’ve had a better chance if it came 400mm plated with a reactive resist, you also probably had little chance to use the paste on that AAR from missing cap.

@Gleb_Koskov but then you dont know these things going into the fight, advantages and disadvanages from what i can tell by going 400mm

Active tanking, just generally speaking, requires some armor resistance to it. The damage control alone is usually not enough for an armor tank. So, if you have a resistance hole somewhere, fill it with something. If it were me, I’d reassess my rigs, and the plate. See what you can find to let you keep the damage and get more resist.

You may also consider trying a kiting rifter, Arty is no joke at any size, so maybe a long range view of the rifter might keep that condor in line a little better.

Fly safe.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.