RIP Project Nova.... again

So players won’t read the story but will look out of a window at things unrelated to the game they are currently in and care about them…
You seem very inconsistent about what players will and won’t care about.

I was referring to what Cypherous was commenting on re: RPG/Mass Effect.

In part, I suppose - “If my hand was forced”.

Completely hypothetical, pay no mind and not really OT.

The action taking place in a ruined station, where player wakes up with amnesia, survival horror. :smile:

Its called dead space, and its been done before, an EVE themed version wouldn’t be any more interesting than the already sci-fi themed version that already exists

1 Like

After reading that, I had to locate my Reso - Tangram album and play “Ishimura”. Man, has it been 7 years already since that came out?

Dang.

Thats a genre, and the games of similar genre play similarly, I dont say rip off deadspace 100%. So what that dead space was there already. Tetris was too, and Elite and GTA I.

1 Like

Sure, but if you’re not bringing anything new to the genre (which CCP wouldn’t) then its just a wasted effort, any game similar to dead space will be compared to dead space, and it wouldn’t compare well, its all well and good crying for CCP to do more with the IP but they have already attempted it and nothing they did really innovated on the genre’s they tried to enter, why play Dust when you can play planetside 2, why play nova when you can play any of the better shooters that exist, the EVE IP on its own is NOT enough to carry a game and if all you’re going to do is make an EVE themed version of X game then you should probably just give up

Focus on the product you have that is doing well instead of trying to branch out, EVE is always going to be a niche game and they kind of need to accept that and double down on making EVE Online everything it can be

double down on making EVE Online everything it can be

Thats some mixed message coming from you. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You dont have to justify to everyone including yourself why you dont want other games to be developed by CCP, just say you like EVE and you play EVE, and you want EVE being developed.

1 Like

Mixed messages in what way exactly, EVE Online is the name of the MMO itself, EVE would be the IP’s name, had i just said “EVE” then you might be getting mixed messages but in this case i was very clear with stating the exact name of the game

I’m not justifying it, i’m explaining why you shouldn’t be expecting them to make something and why you should really understand what it is you’re actually asking for, i mean i get that some people really seem to love the lore of the universe but from a normal players perspective its just a standard looking power struggle, most of the lore is only created to explain gameplay changes and outside of that it really doesn’t actually affect anything, even the time they crashed a nyx in to a station and replaced the model with a damaged station, it didn’t actually affect anything and was only really part of the novel they released, and even then they removed all references to the character that actually did that so it may aswell not have happened at all

So as far as promoting a game just based on IP alone, its really not going to do much, anything they make HAS to have compelling gameplay and NOT just be an EVE skinned clone of something else, sure the EVE IP lets them already have assets to pull upon but the theme of the game isn’t as important as the gameplay itself, and this is the part where CCP has always struggled

First you do not believe CCP can achieve anything in other genres, then wanting them to double efforts in this one genre EVE is set. But why do you assume that they actually are competent in this one EVE is set? Maybe those people who were competent already left CCP? What then?

CCP is people and people have different skills. CCP can change, they just have to change people in some positions. They could have made games better with other people. Doesnt really matter what genre.

1 Like

Reminds me of an MMO TSW, a bunch of people decided it would be cool as a Shooter so they changed the game and it flopped, the old customers hated the changes and in the new market it was competing, it wasn’t even close to competitive. They basically fked the game.

1 Like

Correct

Well the 15 years of managing to keep the game alive would indicate fairly well that they are competent enough in this one area, otherwise the game would have died a long time ago, so at the very least they are skilled enough to keep this game supported and alive, which is more than can be said for any of the other side projects they have previously worked on an announced, some of them were never even born as there was at one point supposed to be a web based game where you would fight for control of different domains similar to the systems we currently have, this was announced at a fanfest and one i personally attended, the game never even got mentioned again after that point

Its a little bit more than that, they can’t even really come up with new ideas let alone get to the prototyping phase, everything they have ever announced is things that others had already done before them, it would be nice if this were not the case but sadly it is, imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it sadly rarely leads to commercial success when the imitation you produce is infact worse than the original, which is all CCP have thus far managed to produce

And i “could” have been a prince had my parents been different, i “could” have been a billionaire had the correct lottery numbers come up, looking at what “could” have been serves no real purpose, you need to look at what actually happened and look at the fact that despite multiple failures there were seemingly no lessons learned

I dunno.

Project Nova … goes “back to the drawing board”.

EVE Online updates … doesn’t have any big updates. (No a 64 bit client doesn’t count. You don’t get a medal for being last over the line).

Can you really blame people for being concerned about the future of both games?

EvE lore is medicore, at best. It doesn’t contain a single original idea.

Its something completely different. In these cases you wrote, you could not use knowledge and skill to impact the situation, but hiring people or firing them is a conscious decision, same as learning some things if you lack skills. So you are like comparing apples to pears.

Just like history?

Thats nothing new. They will do that untill there is enough cash or the people that have most impact are changed in corporation.

Its Iceland tho, so this is actually hard to get proper people. The studios should have been moved to Atlanta entirely, from Iceland.

I would like to think that all developers are ‘proper people’ :slight_smile:

I dont think about devs only, all people in corp should be proper. That includes people from janitor to CEO, they just have different roles.

Define ‘proper’.

I don’t get it.

Proper for me is for example people not trying to dictate prices for monocles to the pricing manager while saying “you have no balls”.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/6hukox/carneros_formerly_ccp_zinfandel_ceo_of_the/

Thats how EVE became famous for 70$ monocles.

Thats a nice bit:

They think being from Iceland makes them better than anyone else. It’s almost like pride thing, and if you aren’t from there, your opinion or ideas will always be less. If putting in for a job or promotion, they will pick a less qualified but icelandic person over someone more qualified. It’s almost a racist type thing, but on a country/nationalist level. If you aren’t from there, speak the language, you are considered to be less. And alot of this thought is the root of CCP’s issues of why they never “listen”.