Scanning D-Scan as overwatch

So, sometimes I get put on overwatch while others mine in WH, Null, etc. Once I get to where I need to go, I just sit and watch the D-Scan…pressing “V” literally on a 3 count… non-stop for 30mins to an hour or so.

So I started thinking, I wonder if I can just run something like auto hot key I found to do the V-pressing while I am trying to browse market and do other things… Having all these windows open from UI clutter could be made a little easier…

However, I decided to FIRST check and make sure this was allowed. I read the EULA and was a little in-between on this since I am doing other things in the game… I decided not to use it just in case until I get some clarification on it. It DID bring up a concern though.

Sometimes I just sit there and hit V almost like clockwork…about every 3 seconds… and mess with phone etc. I started wondering if this could be “bannable” since it seems like a program running?

Not sure here on whether to use the macro… It also allows me to watch other results and run a combat probe scan. All in all, it allows me to be more efficient…but is it a violation?

Thoughts?

Macros are 100% not allowed.

5 Likes

Don’t ask don’t tell.

1 Like

source ?

Macros that allow you to move your windows are allowed.

The only restriction AFAIK is
https://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/eve-eula-en/
6.A.2 and 6.A.3

1. You may not use your own or third-party software to modify any content appearing within the Game environment or change how the Game is played.

2. You may not use your own or any third-party software, macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play. You may not rewrite or modify the user interface or otherwise manipulate data in any way to acquire items, currency, objects, character attributes or beneficial actions not actually acquired or achieved in the Game.

The only mention of macros in the second part, however since it does not fall into the scope that I greased this usage is not forbidden.

So technically using a macro for dscan is allowed by the EULA.

He wants to use d-scan as a protective measure for his mining group, this falls under “acquisition of items”, i’d also think helping your group in this manner is a status enhancing measure. The EULA is purposely vaguely formulated to discourage people from lawyering through exceptions, like you are trying to do. Botting/macroing is not allowed, period.

3 Likes

No it does not. Read the greased par to the end.
If the acquisition of item is not at an accelerated rate compared with normal gameplay, the macro is not forbidden.

On the opposite, it’s purposely very precisely formulated to convey without any ambiguity its meaning, so that you need the least interpretation - so the least arbitrary decision - to know if you are in, or out of, the law.

The goal of the EULA is not to trap people into law loophole where one thing is allowed one day, and not allowed the other one. It’s to make it clear what is allowed in order to provide everybody the best enjoyment.

I am not. You on the other hand are insulting me.

drop a ticket to CCP, they will give you the definitive answer rather than regular players who have their own interpretation of the words

2 Likes

I decided to buy one of those little birds that runs off counter-weights that was used in a movie to hit the same key over and over… the EULA talks about 3rd party software… not household novelties. Heh

1 Like

2 Likes

yeesss haha

That’s called a bot/macro and not allowed.

Well, as Anderson pointed out, they might be allowed. However, the only official answer you will ever receive is a big “NO.”

One guy even came on here to ask if he could map the mouse double-click to something else to cut down on fatigue. CCP said no.

Silence is the best that you can hope for. CCP will contact you with a temporary three day ban if the secret tribunal rules against you.

1 Like

Makes sense… probably already asked for attention by asking about it on here… Maybe I will just rig up a foot pedal used in the old school dictations (I have 2 from dad) and mat it to the V key. CCP can’t regulate the use of limbs lol. Or can they?

All in all, I don’t REALLY need it that badly… was just trying to simplify my life with one less keystroke of many in this game.

I am curious how people with programmable keyboards are getting by?

I read somewhere that some WH guy was using a foot pedal and ended up going to the docs with ankle pain.

2 Likes

about input automation, input broadcasting and multiboxing
the old link concerning the use of macros, also including but not limited to multiboxing. Very little chance that it would be allowed.

But what if you made a robot hand, with a finger that presses V every three seconds :thinking:? Or a complete robot, that you dress up like a pilot, flying leather helmet, goggles and such. Move over, Robbie, I’m typing now.
Okay, gone before any angry replies, I was jk.

My cat likes to sit on my keyboard and bat my mouse, I was thinking I might try to train her. It’s also possible she’s conducting experiments on me.

2 Likes

I could dig out my old Nintendo Power Glove I suppose and modify it…

That would give you Monstah Powah !! A recon force to be reckoned with !!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.