Rules regarding voice commands

I dont want to get myself banned, So better ask before i do anything.
Using a program called voice attack, I wanted to make commands for my alts for ratting.
So well im ratting with my super on my main account i can issue voice commands to my alts to go to the next site or return to station, Things like that.

I know programs to fully automate things are not allowed but i would still be in front of my pc doing this. No AFK BS.

Actually i think i found my answer, Section 6 of the EULA sub section 3

You may not use your own or any third-party software, macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play. You may not rewrite or modify the user interface or otherwise manipulate data in any way to acquire items, currency, objects, character attributes or beneficial actions not actually acquired or achieved in the Game.

So i guess that’s a no then?

2 Likes

Pretty much.

So a person with Quadriplegia can not play then.
Thats so sad

2 Likes

Not necessarily. The way I have see that section interpreted in the past is essentially:

“You can’t use tools like this to do anything a player sitting at the keyboard and mouse with two hands could normally do.”

In the case of somebody with disabilities, these could be legitimate accessibility tools- so long as macros and automation were not used. I believe that would be allowed.

In the OP’s case, he would essentially be using this as an extra pair of hands. I believe that would not be allowed.

Just my take, of course.

Typically my understanding of the EULA is that you’re okay if one input = one action.

Consider carrier ratting. Setting up AHK so that when you press F1 it selects fighter 1, presses F1, and deselects fighter 1, I don’t think that’s actually against the EULA.

You press an input, and one action happens. Yes it’s doing 3 things, but it’s only causing one thing to happen in-game.

A similar case which is definitely a violation of the EULA would be pressing F1, causing AHK to select fighter 1, press F1, deselect, select fighter 2, press F2, deselect. Now you’ve got two actions happening.

In this case, you press one input, which results in two actions happening.

Caveat Emptor, I’m not citing official correspondence or even unofficial correspondence. It is merely my personal take on the matter. I’ll also expressly say that I do not do either of the above, because I find it preferable to just control my fighters as a single group rather than micromanaging them.

Pretty sure that still counts as 3 actions for 1 button press, 1 button press does 1 thing, you would need to press 3 buttons to do that normally without a macro so that would be against the rules

1 Like

Which is why I qualified it as “action” vs “thing”. Yes the client sees 3 things happen, but the result is one action. Particularly in this case, I’m pretty sure that you’re even only sending one command to the servers (fighter 1 attack 1).

Except its 3 actions, 1 button press means 1 thing can happen in the client, a group of “things” is still more than 1 thing so having a button do more than 1 thing would be a macro and therefore be against the rules

Is this based on your correspondence with CCP, or your opinion of the EULA?

As I’ve said, it is my interpretation of the EULA. I’ve also said that nobody is to take it as gospel, and that I don’t even use said interpretation myself. Never the less, that is my interpretation of the EULA. You’re entitled to your own interpretation, and also to voice it. But do be sure to state whether you are speaking of opinions or facts.

It’s actually a really good question. So good, in fact, that we have no business giving an official answer here. That’s something you’ll want to ask CCP directly.

2 Likes

The unfortunate reality is that the answer he’ll get back is “we don’t speculate”. It’s evaluated on a GM-by-GM basis, based on their mood, their interpretation, and their whim.

I have made specific inquiry on this exact matter, and was given that exact non-answer.

From previous experience on both sides of the deal, the EULA is very clear though

“You may not use your own or any third-party software, macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play.”

Pressing a single button that does multiple things IS a macro which is forbidden, there isn’t room for interpretation or what you “think” counts, 1 button 1 client command, if you absolutely have to have a concrete answer then send in a petition, they will answer you with the exact wording and will likely copy and paste that above EULA statement

If anything your voice commands will be slower than pressing a key.

My reading of it would allow voice commands, as long as each command performs only one action ingame, and applies to only one account at a time.

So for example saying “warp” initiates warp, and nothing else, same as clicking the warp icon or warp hotkey would.

Or saying “shields” activates shield booster, same as clicking the icon or pressing the hotkey for that would.

Or “Fire” does the same as pressing F1 or clicking the stacked weapons icon.

Voice commands would be slower than pressing hotkeys, and thus dont break the “accelerated rate” operative condition of the rule.

I dont see how voice commands would confer any advantage, except perhaps you can yell them from the other side of the room, but you can do the equivalent with a remote keyboard/mouse just as well.

I suppose some crazy person could run their ship by shouting over an open phone line, but that too can be done with remote desktopping.

This made me laugh out loud. : D

OP … you can use voice commands as long as your voice command only replaces a SINGLE key stroke, just like you can do the same with mouse buttons which replace only a SINGLE key stroke.

Note: CTRL and/or ALT plus a seperate key count as ONE key stroke, because of hotkeys.
Example: CTRL+D.

This is from an official explanation, but I have no â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  idea how to find it. It is, anyway, true to the letter of the paragraph in the rules, as it does not in any way or form accelerate your gameplay.

1 Like

The 3 keystrokes 1 action thing is still against the EULA. It is not up for enterpretation because it is clearly stated already.

Agreeing with SP…

I dont see how voice commands break the rule, as long as its only one action per command, as would be the case with a mouse-click or a hotkey (or combination hotkey).

I cant think of a way voice commands could be exploited in a fashion that breaks the rule, especially regarding “accelerated rate”.

You can not, because they do not. : - )
The same rule that applies for mouse button configuration applies to everything else.

1 Like

To sum it up, there is no real difference if you scream at your PC, smash your head on the keyboard or clickclick on the mouse till your fingers blister, or do all three at once.

Voice commands will just slow you down, but I think is pretty cool if you want immersion.

PS: Afaik, there is no restriction on voice-to-text usage for chat/EVEmail purposes either.

And that is exactly why CCP investigates those things in a case by case scenario. I think AFK carrier ratting = 1 action, does that make it ok for me to automate it? Probably not. Depends, but if I wouldn’t want to loose the character(s) I should HTFU and do it myself.

Do people press ctrl-up and enter every 30~60 seconds for hours on end in Jita? Some do, some don’t. Should it be automated? It better not be or they RISK a ban. IF they get caught.