Self-Sufficiency

Eve university websites are your friend.

Not so much for a person with zero foundation to build from. They tend to be “high level straight to deep dive”.

I found this to be much more useful:

Starting Industry Small Corp Eve.

Okay, well, I’ve played in the past and you need to find your own way. Crash before take-off or become something in eve is up to your decisions.

Not in disagreement, but it is insightful and entertaining to use the forums at times too. Trust me, lots of hours of videos lately, lots of opening browser tabs. Mainly though, this also helps me to get to know peeps that I would otherwise never meet cuz right now I’m solo in Eve.

In eve, you’re always solo. Trusting people is your downfall.

Number 1 is what it’s all about. +1

OK, here’s a bit of quick information. To start, here is a link to a post I made in a thread for a player asking a similar question:

That speaks to a bit of the industry habit hole that you can go down.

But since you know what you generally want to build, here are some things you’re going to need in a WH.

1. A station that you can access that has the ability to build things. These days that will be a citadel (you used to be able to use things called POSs, but those are deprecated). This must have a Standup Manufacturing service module to allow you to build.
  2. A station that you can access that has the ability to refine ore. Again, this is a citadel that has a Standup Reprocessing service module. This could certainly be the same station as you manufacturing plant.

If you don’t have friends in the hole who will give you access to that, you will have to buy or build your own and get that into the hole.

Then you need fuel. This will pretty much definitely require importing things from K-Space, either complete blocks or some of the components.

Once that’s there, you’ll need:

1. Something to mine with (whatever you are comfortable flying and risking)
  2. Blueprints (originals or copies) to build what you want to build.

Now, this is only for T1. For T2 production, you will also need to do PI and moon mining. PI can be done solo, but moon mining for T2 production is a whole other thing involving refineries, reactions, and can almost be considered a whole other branch of industry .

TL/DR

Yes, you can do this solo in a WH, but it will be risky, expensive, labor intensive, and will almost definitely still require bringing in some things from K-Space.

1 Like

Leah. That was a perfect answer to top off all the other good ones that helped get me this far. Good summary.

Can you still use POS or by deprecated it means definitely dont because they’ll be removed in a patch or something?

I figured POS would now be dirt cheap?

1 Like

They are basically on death watch- they will be removed sometime in the not too distant future once another couple of flavors of structures have been introduced. Not sure when, but it may be later this year. As far as I know, all of the actual functionality has been removed from them, so definitely don’t invest in the parts now. Somebody can correct me on this, but I believe all that you can do with them is use them for repairs and refitting .

Start with what doctrines you want to manufacture. The more T1 hulls and fittings, the easier it will be to setup and become self-sufficient. Some T2 manufacturing might be possible with a minimal amount of shopping trips, but it becomes increasingly more difficult once you get into T2 to be wholly self-sufficient. Once you’ve made a list of all those hulls and modules, look at their manufacturing requirements to prioritize what skills and materials you’ll need.

Obtain blueprint originals for all of the hulls, modules, ammo, etc., you intend to use. If you care about efficiencies, either buy the blueprints already researched through contracts, or invest the time in researching their material/time efficiency yourself. Find a station where you wish to store your BPOs and make your copies. This should be an NPC station in an area you can return to from time to time to manage your jobs and collect your copies. If you’re a wormholer, I’d recommend Thera. Once safely delivered, your BPOs should never leave station again, especially if they have been researched. Make copies, then bring those copies to wherever you plan on manufacturing.

Now, choose your manufacturing base. If you’re living in a wormhole, you’re going to want your own industry complex. You’ll need to setup moon mining for a steady source of good ore. You’ll need miners or mining alts to bring in that ore, as well as manufacturing skills or a manufacturing alt to use your blueprint copies. Especially if you’re doing any T2 manufacturing, you want to optimize your PI to produce as much of what you need as possible.

I started out in manufacturing with the purpose of supplying my own ships, modules, ammo, etc., as much as possible, while I was living in far flung areas where the market supply wasn’t always the best. I ended up manufacturing and selling to other players and making a lot of ISK that way. Now I’m back to using my BPO collection mostly to make my gameplay as rewarding and convenient as possible. Sometimes it’s easier to just mine up some ore and manufacture a hull yourself than to buy it and ship it in.

2 Likes

okay, let’s split it into what you need

In terms of raw materials :

• PI can be obtained from planets in the WH. What’s more if your own planets, a 0% tax is doable so you can make P4 . IIRC it’s 3 toons to make a P4 farm (that has two P4 factories) fed up from the P0 extraction. However … each P4 needs the whole P0 lines, so one of EACH planet. that means, you’e screwed as no system in Eve contain all the planets.
  • ice can be ninja mined by rolling your static in a NS with low population. Be careful you may die. People said you may be able to go to a shattered wh, not xsure if it’s worth going there or rolling a NS static would be better.
  • T1 production basically requires ore. The good thing is that you an make moon and mine them in WH . The bad thing is that you don’t have asset safety so your moons are at a big risk. (you lose all your mining ships). And it’s worth just exactly as much as in high sec. The good thing is that you can rorqual mine your moons once you mined enough ore to build a rorqual. Don’t forget to self destruct it if you are evicted, for insurance. if you are in a C1 nobody will come at you, I guess - keep your structures fuelled and you can mine in rorqual like people farm in dreads.
  • T2 production requires NS moon goo so nope
  • NPC stuff (some items require them) is not avvailable in WH so nope. You need to go in a NPC station using static, buy it and bring it back ; the price is cheap but the volume is high. if none of your bps need it it’s no more an issue.
  • research : don’t do it in WH. you lose everything when evicted. Do it in a rent structure in HS, or have an alt in NS (way better). Research in WS gives NOTHING more than NS but takes away the asset safety so NO.
  • production : you need to copy your bpos in NS/HS and logi them to the WH. It takes basically as long to COPY them than to BUILD them, meaning the time to build is twice as long. In WH you can build anything but supers/titans. You also can mine everything but the T2 ores. (you can mine some but not all)
  • reaction : you can do them in WS. Plus you may have access to gas in system, or do static jumps to get more gas. the reactions bp cost nothing, you can buy several sets and keep them in WS I think it’s less than 200M for a set.
  • meta/faction/deadspace modules : you can only craft cap meta modules. faction bps are bought from contracts in jita (you need HS static) and built in your structure ; deadspace modules need to be bought in jita.
1 Like

You must have your space structures and “Umbrela” or you just easy target.

You have been awesome.

Looks like you can live out of a cargo hauler, so not really? Doing it solo is much harder, but a well groomed small corp should be able to easily do this, using anchored containers for stashing operating materials.

Basically you’d just agree as a corp to use certain things, use those things, and do logistic runs, stock those things, bank them in an offline toon…then offload operating capital to anchored crates for working out of deep space.

The corp would never need a base then? Not with mobile fits?

Before wormholes, Solitude was the place where people like you would end up living in.

1 Like

Sort of. But remember, you still need to deal with refitting and repairs. So, while you can stash stuff in a ship like that, you’re still going to need at least a Mobile Depot to deal with refitting, or at least a ship with a Fleet Hangar for restocking unless you’re planning on randomly jet canning things then using the Depot to load some things like drones into the proper bay. It’s not un-doable, but it’s tricky.

Potentially. Something like an Orca would actually make a pretty decent nomadic base in lieu of something like the Standup FOB that’s been hinted as as the final replacement item for the POSs.

One thing to mention unrelated to this though, is that I’ve noticed from your other threads that you’re Alpha. Nothing wrong with that, but it will put some really hard limits on what you can do with industry.

omg…

JUST START BUILDING THRASHERS IN JITA

the short answer is no especially in an NS without good until there just no way to survive

I have the romantic thing of you should be able to survive in a rorqual and a couple of barges because that’s how it designed to be but that’s my romantic look of life is not the reality of the game currently you cannot survive solo without a good Intel Network unfortunately
Know if you have enough money you can become very very powerful by plexing your way into whatever you want but if you don’t know being solo is not the way to go right now sure you might better get out until Backwater system but as soon as a big enough gang finds you they’re going to blow Sandcastle over just for the fun of it

If you know what you are doing you can live for a long time with two characters out of a “mobile home” fitted DST (deep space transport).
Contents would be ship hull BPCs, compressed ore, modules, drones, and consumables.
The DST should be safe-logged at all times and come near a Citadel/Engineering complex only if you need to build anything from its contents.

Your main-char basically lives out of a mobile depot and does what he does, PvE, Exploration, whatever.

That way you can go on very extended trips without having to visit the empire or even K-space for long times, especially if you focus on exploration as main income source because the loot is low in volume and it lakes a while to fill that DST if all you need to pre-pack it with is a couple of explo frigs, two RR-Gnosis, an Astrahus and a bit of fuel.

But (relative) independece comes at a price. It will be expensive in terms of ISK and you will be at the mercy of every single bully out there. And there are many.

Think about it from another angle:

Not even the Imperium, the single largest player faction in game is truly independent in terms of resources. Even they need to import certain materials from Empire and from other parts of Nullsec as well as W-space to satisfy their needs.
And with their focus on industry in general one may believe that is intentional.

No man is an island in EvE.

Do not belivet Lonewolf he is poster Boy for attracting new player in Eve. In REAL EVE his station and ships will be destroyed 1 000 times till now.
BTW “somebody” give him 10 000 000 000 ISK to start business and he is protected and nobody can attack him.

If you find a good wormhole corp with a full industry and manufacturing infrastructure set up please send me a mail so I can apply to join. I’m looking for a wormhole corp atm.

You can do everything in a wormhole, as there is heaps of resources, but because of the PvP i’m not sure how much players/corps actually spend time mining etc.