Skiff Ungankable?

Although I’m quoting @Ridley_Rohan and @Anderson_Geten here, this comment isn’t really aimed at them specifically. I’m just using what they wrote as examples of tone.

The thing I wanted to write is this …

EVE is huge, bigger than pretty much any game out there, and the people in it are diverse and varied and we ALL play the game in a different way to each other.

Our motivations are different. Out ambitions are different. and the things we love, hate or are ambivalent about are as complex and varied as we are as real life people.

We really don’t need to harangue each other in the forum, and to be fair this isn’t an issue that is somehow is worse in this thread than any another.

I just feel that sometimes maybe the best thing to write is, “Whilst I respect your opinion, I fundamentally disagree with it”. There no need to personalise things and throw insults back and forward because this just makes the environment hostile and no one wins from this.

And if you can’t manage to do this, maybe don’t post?

:mouse:

1 Like

If I said most men could not tell the difference between purple and lavender, and that was sad, would it be a personal attack or a fact borne of observation and my neutral opinion on the fact?

No I am not. I am simply observing that people use the word “fun” and the word “enjoyment” in different contexts for a reason and tend to use them in the same contexts as most other people for the most part.

Few people would call mining itself “fun”. More might call the surrounding activities “fun”, such as chatting with other miners. But even then “enjoyable” is going to be more accurate.

Regardless, I maintain that mining, as in the activity itself, is not generally considered “fun” even if people have found peripheral activities to make it enjoyable.

And therefore, the desire for a mining ship that is hard to gank while AFK is as understandable as its so often wished for by so many.

Seriously, who posts on the forum “I don’t know why I went AFK while mining. I mean, dang, its so much fun! And then I got ganked. I won’t step away from the fun of mining ever again!”

Never happened.

You are literally saying it’s not fun for them because you find it not fun.
That’s pushing your opinion on people.

No activity is fun in itself out of the context. Looking at specific part of the activity without the context does not make that activity not fun. Even more, what is fun for you may not be fun for someone else. Claiming otherwise is pushing your opinion on people.

So yes, some people call mining itself fun. It repeats just as much as any activity that you can do. Your opinion that activity X is fun while activity Y is not, is just your opinion . Other people opinion can be different and are as valid as yours.

Finally,

Your are not giving an opinion on fact, but are making a intellectual judgement on me because I said your opinion is just your opinion and pushing it on other people makes no sense for a discussion. You therefore are making a personal attack (a judgement on my person while my person is not the topic) for the sole reason that you can’t accept that argument and can’t accept being wrong.

Just to remind you, I don’t find fun in mining. We share the same opinion on this topic. It’s also totally possible that most people find it not fun ; but then you need to back it from a more rigorous analysis, for example a survey by CCP (we are in the context of opinions so a survey is totally fine as long s you don’t try to interpret it)

1 Like

I think that’s probably reasonably fair and quite accurate.

I really enjoy mining. I doubt though that I would ever use the adjective ‘fun’ to describe it as an activity. I’m not doing it for thrills, I’m doing it for relaxation, as a form of meditative game play, as a way to facilitate me being able to play and simultaneously multi-task. So it is definitely enjoyable, but not really fun, at least in the true sense of the word.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that that’s entirely fair @Anderson_Geten. I think @Ridley_Rohan is definitely expressing an opinion , and it might be one that some might disagree with but I think the word pushing is a bit strong.

That is definitely true.

EVE is, by its very nature, a broad church of different experiences and long may this continue. IMHO this is one of the game’s greatest strengths.

Maybe the truth here is the parable of the blind men and the elephant

A group of blind men heard that a strange animal, called an elephant, had been brought to the town, but none of them were aware of its shape and form. Out of curiosity, they said: “We must inspect and know it by touch, of which we are capable”. So, they sought it out, and when they found it they groped about it. The first person, whose hand landed on the trunk, said, “This being is like a thick snake”. For another one whose hand reached its ear, it seemed like a kind of fan. As for another person, whose hand was upon its leg, said, the elephant is a pillar like a tree-trunk. The blind man who placed his hand upon its side said the elephant, “is a wall”. Another who felt its tail, described it as a rope. The last felt its tusk, stating the elephant is that which is hard, smooth and like a spear.

All of the blind men are speaking the truth, from a certain point of view, and all of them are also completely wrong, from a certain point of view.

in the context of this conversation, both of you, @Anderson_Geten, @Ridley_Rohan are right and both of you are also wrong.

1 Like

No, I am not. I am observing that AFK mining is as common as water and the reason is obvious…its NOT fun…in the opinion of a great many people…who post over and over how they got ganked for mining AFK…or this thread…seeking a tougher ship to AFK mine in.

I myself found it fun for about two days.

I am allowing for other opinions on this. I have allowed for it. I am sure a minority find it fun. What more do you want from me?

No you are not. You are interpreting this. You actually don’t know who is AFK and who is not.

Or not.

Well what do you want? Go to a high enough level of proof and I cannot even prove you or even myself exist.

But there is plenty of evidence for the commonality of AFK mining including when gankers are actually nice enough to fly around, bump and even warn people in chat, blow them up and still their capsule just sits there. And people admit to it on the forum.

What do you want? A double blind poll or something? Man. Just accept it and stop trying to deny the obvious to try and sound edgy or something.

I admit that I did not know this secondary meaning of ‘allow’. My bad.

Seems I learned something today. :grin:

My English may not be as fluent as my mother tongue, but then again I didn’t study English at university.

1 Like

Actually, you can prove that yourself exist by asking you this exact question.

If you are asking that question, it means that you exists, otherwise you could not.

No this is not .

That you stop claiming that an arbitrary interpretation of yours is a proof.

It’s obvious that the sun orbits the earth.
Stop that retarded “it’s obvious!”. It literally means it’s just your interpretation and nothing more.

I think there is definitely evidence although it’s fairly anecdotal. There is a lot of mining that goes on in EVE, this in itself is a fact. However beyond this it all gets very murky, and quite quickly.

I chat in local, not all the time, but often. Frequently most of the pilots who might be mining a belt that I’m in are incommunicado. Does this mean that there’s lots of people who are AFK? Maybe?

In truth however because there are definitely French, German, Japanese and Russian, players in the game (as well as, probably, a multitude of other languages) it could simply be that they don’t want to chat to someone in English. And that’s okay, you’re not required to talk while mining.

Hmmm, I’m not sure that is is necessarily true … Solipsism - Wikipedia

Whilst this says that " … knowledge of anything outside one’s own mind is unsure …" are you sure that the act of asking yourself the question is real, or are you just imagining yourself asking yourself the question?

1 Like

By the sheer fact that the question exists into something, that something exists also.
If you can’t exist, then you can’t ask yourself that question.

cogito, ergo sum.

1 Like

I think I need to be clear and say what I meant was PHYSICAL existence. My body may not exist. My mind may only exist in a computer for all I know and all my physical reality may be something like the Matrix. As for all of you, you may be AI for all I can really prove.

I added evidence. It seems you just ignored it.

Your evidence was “it’s obvious”. That’s not evidence, that’s plain BS.

It’s obvious that the sun orbits the earth.

1 Like

Why do I always have to repeat myself on this forum?

…and

…such as ummm…was done in this thread.

Mu’ad DiibMu_ad_Diib also added evidence.

Yes the evidence is not ROCK SOLID, but what the hell is really? I doubt you ntipick this much usually, so what the hell is your problem on the forum?

AFK mining is common. Its NOT uncommon. Evidence has been given. Its all obvious. Get over it. Whatever your issue is, just get over it already.

1 Like

You repeat something wrong does not make it right.

Your provided anecdotal evidence, which does not allow to make a general rule.

It’s the same nonsense as people who kill a rat, the rat drops 50M, they took 6min to kill the rats, then they claim they make 500M/h.

You have no evidence of your claim.

BS.

I did not claim it was uncommon. I Said the affirmation “it’s common” has no evidence.
To claim it’s common, you need to know the proportion of people being AFK and of those being ATK. You can’t. So you have no evidence of your claim.

Why are you being so defensive and pedantic about this? AFK mining is common. Semi-AFK mining is probably even more common.

This is not something to be hard core agnostic about. So why are you?

ad nauseam does not make right.

You have no evidence for your claim.

Right. Then you said:

Which? Some or none? Why are you being like this, contradicting yourself attempting to win a patch of mud on this field?