Skiff Ungankable?

MINING is NOT playing. Its akin to Tom Sawyer telling the kids that painting the fence is a game. It can be fun for a time, but it will be about as fun as watching that same paint dry in a short time.

But yeah, I hope this person is mining with different toons than the one he posts with. Talk about telegraphing.

I can’t blame anyone for mining AFK or especially semi-AFK. Its a really good multi-tasking activity and in the past that’s how I got housework done…it was nice to know what while I was sweeping or whatever, ISK was piling up.

Anyway it would be nice if people would just have a mind to their own defense regardless. Its amazing how little difference just one more defense sacrifice will make to your mining haul.

May as well tank up. Its nice to watch a ganker bounce off your tank.

That’s not much good solo unless you plan to put everything in cans and pick it up later. In the end I think its just not worth it. The only worthwhile way way to use a hulk IMHO is with a dedicated hauler of some type at least, or better yet a command industrial with boost and an ore hold.

2 Likes

totally agree.

2 Likes

I wouldnt say that either…

Mining with a rorq + 6 hulks is definitely a busy thing. Cycles are so fast that you barely have time to switch clients and unload cargo, target switching is every very few minutes, if you are mining moon ( uncompressable ) you need a hauler to empty the rorq frequently, you need to actively rep the exhumers with the rorq everytime rats appear, with such an expensive setup in space you need to perfectly track intel…

It is quite attention intensive if you want to be effective.

1 Like

Nerfing Orca mining yield will do nothing to multiboxers, they will just field more Orca’s. They don’t care about fielding additional accounts, especially since they work as skillpoint farms after some time. But you will hurt regular players who play single Orca solo or fly in small mining fleet with friends.

2 Likes

I think we are both making good points, so I understand where you are coming from. Yes, for some people, that makes it so fun to them its playing. But to me, and I am pretty sure most people, that sounds like WORK. Thus the desire for a mining ship that is hard to gank AFK.

Nice, Your zkill skills are superior to mine. I couldn’t figure out how to get a link with those search results.

It is playing, just not playing in the way that you play. And here’s the thing, that’s fine.

EVE is awesome precisely because people can play the game in as many variations as there are RL people and often more. No one plays the game the same way and that’s what keeps it complex and complicated and fascinating and amazing.

I love to mine, partly because it’s quite a mediative activity and partly, not because I like to be AFK, but because it leaves me with enough head space to chat to others on channels like B4R and the help channels and so on.

If I was doing an activity in the game that needed a higher level of involvement and concentration, like missioning, exploration or PvP then I couldn’t do this at all.

I’m not really a fan of AFK playing as a rule.

I don’t necessarily think people need to be 110% focussed, 110% of the time, on the absolute task that they are doing right there and then, but they should be engaged with the game on some level or another (and let’s be honest, given that this is a leisure pursuit, which is supposed to be relaxing and decompressing, would this be a realistic aim to have for 100% of the player online at any given moment?) .

:mouse:

3 Likes

Okay. I should have been more clear. For a LOT of people, maybe MOST people, its not fun. For some, some aspects might be enjoyable, but still not fun.

On the fun vs. play scale, I am sure most people would agree mining in EVE leans more towards WORK. But its a good way to make isk so you can PLAY later.

As far as mining goes, I am. Aside from the fact we are meant to be in goo pods for a second, not even in RL would people sit at the helm doing nothing unless they were in charge of a hull full of passengers. Its perfectly normal for pilots to set AP (very akin to mining in EVE as its mostly automatic) and go do something else in a private aircraft.

AFK is not a valid REASON to gank. Its nothing but a convenient excuse crafted from forced crap. There is only one reason hi-sec ganking occurs…its because gankers wanna gank. There are various reasons why the lie excuses pour out…chief among them is the pleasure of messing with your head and making you believe stupid crap. In other words, trolling for lols, because most gankers are trolls.

1 Like

I think that’s a pretty accurate analysis @Ridley_Rohan and a fair comment. I’m not sure that it’d be true to say most people, because there are a lot of miners in EVE, but to be fair the game is what you make it - which of course is why it’s so wondrous, amazing, difficult and sometimes maddening, because it reflects, in many ways the personalities of the RL people behind the characters.

Whilst I agree with a lot of this, in respect of the motivation for gankers, I do think truly AFK mining is a bit naughty and does no favours for the reputation of miners. Like I said before, I do mining because I do want to engage with others in the game (B4R etc) just not necessarily the people I’m mining right next to (although I do chat to other miners too, from time to time).

{citation required}

I don’t like it, I know a lot of people who dislike it. Yet I know a lot of people who enjoy it and just don’t go brag about it.

Yes, I don’t understand it either.

Personally I do really like the fact that it’s slow, and that it forces you to slow yourself down. Well, at least some of the time (I’m not really a fan of the slowness when I’m mining ice and a bunch of 'bots swoop in to scoop up most of the available rocks…).

Just to be clear though I’m not saying this as a brag, just as a matter of fact.

Watching your ship gradually collect ore while chatting to others can be a really meditative activity and quite cool after a stressful day. Right now, given the worldwide Covid19 pandemic, and the stress that this produces, getting a dose of meditative game play is a bit of a tonic and one that a lot of people need.

If you want slow game, you may enjoy the slaughters in null (WWB or the like) . With <10% tidi, the scan res of capitals, the server losing packets at random, yoga lessons are mandatory.

1 Like

I don’t agree that mining is work, maybe try doing something you enjoy for ISK instead?

Mining is more like fishing, a nice, calm and relaxing hobby to do between more intense activities.
Except some other guys have set up 10 fishing poles each while doing something else, emptying the pond and ruining your hobby.

3 Likes

Nonsense. Its obvious to a dead dog.

You quoted me as saying “fun” not, “enjoy it”. There is a difference.

Brag? About having fun? WHO does that? People brag about doing specific things, not general things like “having fun”.

Miners can and do brag about how much they mined. Nobody says “While you were over there slaving at PVP, I was having a great time mining. Sucker!” Come on. Stop reaching for Pluto in an attempt to be “right” by way of being contrarian.

Some people literally cannot do some other activities for lack of time or attention they can give the game. Others will find other options to be nothing but a headache. Mining to me was always work, just less work and headache than running missions or starting at the low levels of industry. The first thing I did in EVE was trade. Man was that a slow slog for isk. It was interesting for a time but it just got to be a headache after a while. Wasn’t long before I thought I should buy a real delivery truck and do the same thing for actual money.

For some, yeah, that’s a fair explanation. But remember, even some fishermen are there for many things before the fishing. I am sure some hate fishing, but love everything else…like their fishing buddies and the accepted excuse to get away from their wives.

1 Like

It’s obvious that the sun orbits the earth.

irrelevant.

In the case of video game, there is no difference between fun and enjoyment.

Very few people, which makes you biased by believing there is no people who find it “fun”. That was my point.

I pity you if you cannot tell the difference, I really do.

Enjoyment was used a synonym in that definition. That can mean NEARLY the same and not just “the same”.

You can pity yourself for not being able to discuss with different opinion without insulting them.

1 Like

Whether you can or cannot spot the difference between two aspects of enjoyment of life is not a matter of opinion. Its a matter of fact, as is my pity for those who can’t.

That is a personal attack, and without any relation to the topic.

It’s a FACT that you are pushing your own definition of fun onto other people, without realizing that what YOU consider “fun” may be not fun for other people. For other people, what is “fun” in Eve may as well be shooting rocks in space. Just because they don’t brag about it being fun does not invalidate the fact that they find it fun.

Just because you and I don’t share this opinion does not invalidate it.

So yes, I pity you for not being able to understand such a simple concept as “don’t push your tastes onto others” and believing that your personal opinion is the absolute judgement. That’s the mark of the simple narrow minded.

3 Likes