Skill injector and pay to win effect

sure, cash is not needed, but I think it’s too easy and is against balance.
When a 1 month player can fly a 4B rattle snake and blow it on camp gate in 0.5 or flighting 500M HAS or BS in pvp, in loop with cash injection, it seriously unbalance the market, make the plex go high and create a bad need of isk for every one, encouraging to by plex instead of farming money other way.
There is only the bigger alliances in 0.0 who can out farm a plex in term of simplicity. If you live in HS or LS, you have to take big risks and some time to gain 1 month plex.

Old players are encouraged to buy plex to train alts, new players are encouraged for flying needed doctrine ships or be competitive… all that because the “slow pace” of eve skill learning, so great before is more than a nuisance now. Players want “fast” the access to content.

We can play “old way” but there is a lot of temptation and it’s easier/faster… the dark side of eve :wink:

4 Likes

yeah and there in lies the problem…
I myself have already looked at someone and told them sure you can sit in one of those doctrine Rattles…but if you think im not going to suggest to t he FC to kill you , pod you, and kick you for being stupid on your 2nd or 3rd loss…then your out of your mind, stick with your damn T1 cruiser, or be logi, or hero tackle till you learn how to fly.

1 Like

@Wolfyne

1st of all … EVE was not made to make isk for plex … if you want to plex your accounts … work for it …

2nd guys who start and inject sell plex on the market … soe they make the price go down not up … more plex on the market = lower price … so easy … so you can only be wrong with your “higher price plex thing”

if they want to buy plex with cash and sell em for isk to incect to a 4B rattle … whats wrong? let them do that … if they want … they cant reach the experiance level of others … so yea he can sit in it and he can fit it but he cant fly it … he gets killed anyways … where is the balance problem

i dont buy plex to train my alts … i have subscriptions and MCT … both bought for money … so dont grind …

JuuR

No, it is not ‘pay to win’. They are not gaining anything that you can not get in time. Forget about the “whether they can actually fly it correctly argument”, if your patient, your ship will be exactly the same as the newer player’s ship, yours will simply take a bit longer. As an older EvE player, this is something you should relish. Setting a goal, working towards it and finally achieving it have always been a basic part of EvE.

I am somewhat in the same situation, as I didn’t prioritize training triglavian ships when they came out and would take a ridiculous number of injectors, but unlike the new player I have many other options open to me to ‘pass the time’ and in the end my ship will be just the same and hopefully I’ll have learned a thing or two about flying it correctly.

It’s not pay to win because the people who just skill up without experience tend to LOSE. :rofl:

2 Likes

No matter how many skill injectors you buy you will never get any skill trained past V. You dont get an advantage.

How about looking at it from a new player’s perspective? This is the problem with most long lived MMO’s. When you joined in 2006, you were competing with other players with at most 2-3 year head start on you, and within a couple years, you were likely on even footing with the average player given attrition and such. Now fast forward to today, where a new player could be competing with someone with a 16 year head start, and even in a couple years, they still wouldn’t be nearly caught up with the average player, cause due to low retention, EVE is mostly made up of multi-year vets. That’s a pretty daunting outlook for the average new player, and would understandably seem unfair just because they were born 10 years or so too late.

I personally don’t see a problem with giving the new player options in being able to catch up, and at the same time a way for CCP to add to their bottom line. And it’s not like it’s an epidemic or something. If the EVE population reflects real life at all, most likely it’s only between 1 - 10% of the players are whales that are taking advantage of injectors and plex. The rest are players at most subbing an account or two or alphas. CCP isn’t going to give up such a source of revenue, so people should just deal with their own game and fun, and let other players deal with theirs.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter unless you plan on attacking supers with a frigate.

Not enough skill is an emotional crutch for those who are really just afraid to die in a computer game.

And what about experienced player injecting alts.
Injector and plex give advantage to players, it’s not mandatory, but it’s important.

I cannot fly all my alliance doctrine ships, mainly because I don’t have the money, because I can’t farm and fly with alliance CTA while working, my time in EVE is limited. But when injected money, we can use real life time to the game, and it create a difference between player who can and one who can’t.
What if you are in a big fight, and when loosing a dread or carrier, you can jump in another one just because you get billions with real money, it’s a great advantage if the other side can’t do that.

My fear is that the game encourage too much the paying players and unbalance the economy.
Today it seems that flying a 500M ship is just the norm, 1 or 2B for a mission ship is “normal”. But I don’t see the money gain better than 1 or 2 years ago, at least from my point of view.

If I need to buy something expensive, I have to leave my corp, to acces 0.0 or WH space and big money income, or simply buying plex, it’s so easy, much more easy.

Have you ever created a char fully from injectors?

Yes or No?

Because if you had you would know it is 90% urban legend and 10% myth.

If you want a char you don’t have then the best most cheapest way is this: Character Bazaar - EVE Online Forums

Giving the new player the option to pay 100$ to catch up older player is not what I call a fair and attractive trade.
I prefer largely to give 5 or 10M skill point directly to those players.

The injector system was made to allow old players to sell some of their sacrified points to new players, but because the economy is linked to plex and money… it can be used more lucratively.

1 Like

I agree, and there are many brave new players that go straight into PvP. I am mostly referring to players that look at the long game, and eventually want to be able to compete using HAC’s, capitals, supers, etc… the ships and equipment that require high SP’s. Given two equally talented players, that extra 2-5% effectiveness in training whatever last bit to 5’s is a huge advantage and often means the difference between life and death.

I disagree. Extra SP’s should be optional. You’d be surprised at how many people prefer to take the “hard” road.

And you still try to make it seem like whales are somehow an epidemic. Do you have any data to prove that purchasing Plex and SP’s are somehow detrimental to the game? At this point it just seems like personal speculation.

The character Bazaar has existed for years. Literally, a decade.

A New player could pay 100% to buy a 100 million SP character and catch up to older players, 10 years ago.

Why are you just bringing up this problem now? Why is the injector system bad, but for years, you had no problem with the character bazaar system, which is based on the same principle?

1 Like

That is just wrong minded. I know people come into EVE with that “end game” mentality and in that mindset supers are it, everything else is “leveling up”.

That is just completely wrong, we don’t just not have levels, endgame is what you make it. The ship tree is not linier at all, the ship that needs the most SP, costs the most, does the most DPS is just not the best ship.

2 Likes

This is a complex and rabbit hole of a topic. I think I get what you are saying, so I agree and disagree. But to try and keep it brief, I would have to say I disagree in the case that many new players like to dream, so let them dream, why crap on their game so early? If they are going to be in the game for the long haul, they will eventually figure it out on their own that there is no “best” ship, and that is part of the fun in the journey, the discovery of all that EVE has to offer, and that is where I would agree with you.

I myself had lofty goals early on, and even with my 10’s of millions of SP’s ended up only mastering one ship, and eventually branched out into most race’s ships. But that’s kinda been the point, even without becoming uber in certain ships, and jack-of-all trading in many tasks, it still requires 10’s of millions of SP’s and its a lot for new players to ever catch up, so what’s the harm in CCP providing for some options in being able to close the gap?

1 Like

Who said life has to be fair?

2 Likes

Sure, but Eve is not life, if the game is not fair or boring, people leave. You can’t ask for new player and tell them, pay more to catch up other people.

But I aggree, the problem is not simple :slight_smile: it’s normal that old players are wealthy than new one.

4 Likes

And EVE has been doing fine for the last 16 years with the dedicated base it’s had.

Sure you can. CCP is doing it.

While I would say that the effect on EVE is minimal because of the sandbox nature, I always felt that adding the option to a game to buy in or completely bypass major aspects of the gameplay (in this case building up your wealth by actually playing the game) EXTREMELY devalues the game as a whole.

PLEX was added to battle gold sellers, which is sadly something that exists and I always accepted this solution as a necessary evil. However, skill injectors serve no such purpose and the reasoning that this helps new players is and always was an incredible lie.

6 Likes