Skill Queue Removal

soldier of fortune is stupid
because they tell you to make missions in FW
an that is haram AF

dont…
i repet …
DONT DO IT

Yes he really is. He’s strict as drill sergeant but he’s lots of laughs :smiley: Very nice person.
Did you see? They hid my first kill post… So mean in this forum :sob:

3 Likes

there’s no world in which they nuke everyone’s allocated sp and turn it into unallocated. That would be unbelievably stupid and catasrophic…

I took what they said to simply mean that if nothing was in the queue, you’d gather unallocated sp, and also that attributes were being removed. What will happen to training implants is still a mystery, but i suspect 1%-5% faster sp accumulation per slot.

:+1:

1 Like

I don’t share your confidence level :rofl: but at least you see the danger.
So how would ccp match the historically allocated sp (which depend on skill level/training multiplier/attributes) with a possible new system where levels/multipliers/attributes were revamped - hence SP needed per skill level would change - not to mention the time/$ invested over the years ? It’s hard to see a solution were the intrinsic SP value would not be affected.

1 Like

Actually there is a world where they might be considering that.

They want to create a more immersive experience and poling character attributes is clearly a performance issue on the servers. Reducing a players skills into a smaller single cacheable object resolves that issue. The current skill attribute system is not only too complex for new players but to ‘heavy’ for a smooth 3D immersive experience they are attempting to evolve into.

I can completely see why it’s being considered, but the way they look to be resolving the issue has zero elegance or tie to the historical way Eve was set up to be played. Instead of taking on the challenges(jtime & expense) of some type of elegant AI driven client cache forwarding of a players skills/attributes in an engagement they are looking at just trashing most skills and attributes because it’s easier and more like the games that are on the market today.

They really should have someone diving into an AI solution for skill and attribute processing if they are looking for longevity instead of looking at already 10 y/o solutions.

EDIT / Late Add: This is exactly the kind of thing a cooperative venture with NVIDIA who has deep roads into AI would love to provide consultation for.

it wasn’t back in 2012, when the PCU was easily 3-4 fold of what it is today. The skill system with all its characteristics did not change. Did the hardware change ? Did the hardware vanish ? Do they rely on 3rd parties to calculate extremely basic stuff ?

but perhaps you were thinking of player Bounties, which were taken out because of “server load” and “need more data”, never to be heard of again despite repeated requests from the community.

What has changed is graphics and new player expectations of what a game should look and feel like.

Create a new character and to see where they want to evolve this game to. It truly is awesome. However it is only possible because the player has barely any skills and they completely control the objects in that space. Bringing that type of experience forward to a constantly changing environment is a massive (understatement) undertaking.

It shows me CCP has the right idea’s and is not looking at ‘dying’ but longevity. However, implementation and roll out need as much attention as design.

1 Like

Why? They did it with reprocessing skills and that wasnt a big deal.

Actually the more I think about it the more @Ully_Loom 's concept of 2 sets of servers makes sense.

If they are effectively creating EVE: The Next Generation. Then they should do that on another infrastructure. I get they want to leverage the IP of Legacy EVE and they should. But to do that by destroying literally decades of player involvement that created the IP is basically CCP being guiltily of the biggest griefer gank possible.

Nothing will change you will train the same, the only difference is that instead of training the skill you will put that sp into the skill after you have enough, everything will take just as long to train.

1 Like

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. For example very early in my Eve experience it was clear I wanted to not only pilot an ORCA but maximize every skill (including modules and drones) it would require. To do so in the current progression (based on some assumptions/guesswork) I would need to walk through their pre assigned ‘missions’ to get there, and I’m pretty much locked into doing those missions instead of building those skills while I did other unrelated things. And, if I realized I needed skills to do those other unrelated things (say for example Market and/or PI) I could prioritize my progression to best meet my needs and seeing how my SP timeline would progress toward my larger goal as I adapted my current needs. I felt in control of my progression not patronized or lead by my nose ring.

Ok so thermodynamics to V takes 18 days or something worth 500k sp.

Current system:
You set the skill 18 days later you have thermal dynamics V.

New system:
You wait 18 days you have 500k sp that you can now put it into thermal dynamics V.

You get the same skill in the same amount of time.

Not sure which missions you are talking about? Missions have nothing to do with training time.

1 Like

If they are eliminating this:

and replacing it with:

How would I even know that thermodynamics is much less apply sp to it?

@tutucox_Khamsi
@Ursula_Anders

This 10 000 here goes up by 1 every second in the new system, instead of training the skill.

Then you put things into the skill que as normal then click the last button apply skill points.

They are not removing anything.

Is extra sp it is seperate and for beginer stuff.

2 Likes

I just reviewed that portion of the vid. I still get a different interpretation which could be due to my attempting to ‘read between the lines’ and projecting forward a bit.

Don’t get me wrong for new folks I get that skills can be overwhelming. It was one of the more complex and time consuming aspects of the game for me. The new system takes that burden away from integrating new players which is a very cool thing.

At 47:48 he says ‘Still complicated for those who want to get into it more’ If that means the underlying mechanics remain the same (and still accessible) I still have a little hope, but as you can see in my pic I’m managing/planning my skills over a year out. I don’t see what they gain by ‘removal of the skill queue’ unless they are going to completely obfuscate away the complexities.

I’m not even sure how I’d play the game without the skill queue and only skiling toward things ‘in the now’ instead of planning for the future. For myself that would be a completely different game.

My vast inventory and skills ARE the game for me. I’m very much looking forward to leveraging both in what most of EVE considers play but it’s taken a lot of investment and planning to get to where ‘playing’ feels like an appropriate option for my characters.

1 Like

It would be too impractical to have all sp earned from missions players would quit out of frustration, also it would make it impossible to plan anything as everything would be everywhere.

CCP would never do this to themselves.

2 Likes

it would effectively replace a part of the sandbox with a box full of hoops to jump through. But the dev said “sp accumulates passively over time”. Unless the dev has a very personal definition of “passive”, it still means generate sp without any interaction

1 Like

exactly, the way it should be lol.

2 Likes

So, @Paliphany_Bradbury you move from “it’s a hardware problem” to “it’s an expectation problem”.

If you think that detailed gfx data are sent from the server to your pc, think again.

Right. Then I hope CCP will leave the intrinsic and historic value of already accumulated and paid for SP intact. It may not be high on the priority list of newer players, but it sure is for those that have invested years already.