Skills description - EVE Effect learnings

Hello guys !

While looking for information regarding EIV in Industry (subject of another topic of mine) I realised that, imho, the description of Science, Industry, Advanced Industry, Metallurgy and Research was not clear and confusing especially for new bros.

It turns out that the same day I watched CCP CEO video about Eve Effects.

So I would like first to point out the confusing aspects of the descriptions of those skills and second to propose improved descriptions for you to decide whether or not take them into consideration and implement.

Confusing aspects
2 confusing aspects (in bold for one and italic for the other - I wish I had colors but did not figured how)

Science original description

Basic understanding of scientific principles.
5% Bonus to blueprint copying speed per level.

Industry original description

Allows basic operation of factories.
4% reduction in manufacturing time per skill level.

Advanced Industry original description

Skill at efficiently using industrial facilities.
3% reduction in all manufacturing and research times per skill level.

Metallurgy original description

Advanced knowledge of mineral composition.
5% Bonus to material efficiency research speed per skill level.

Research original description

Skill at researching more efficient production methods.
5% bonus to blueprint manufacturing time research per skill level.

It turns out that all these are bonuses whether they are named bonus or reduction. I am not going to give a course about human brain, language perception and interpretation. In general something that brings a gain is a bonus not a reduction. Then the way the bonuses apply may be by reducing or increasing something.

Last, all those bonuses apply to jobs duration whether they are called speed or time.

Proposal
Hence for better clarity and, following the Eve Effect learnings as stated by CCP CEO in his video, to improve players experience starting with new bros, I would like to propose the following wording :

Science

Basic understanding of scientific principles.
For blueprint copying, reduces job duration by 5% per skill level.

Industry

Allows basic operation of factories.
For blueprint manufacturing, reduces job duration by 4% per skill level.

Advanced Industry

Skill at efficiently using industrial facilities.
For blueprint manufacturing and ME/TE research, reduces job duration by 3% per skill level.

Metallurgy

Advanced knowledge of mineral composition.
For blueprint Material Efficiency research, reduces job duration by 5% per skill level.

Research

Skill at researching more efficient production methods.
For blueprint Time Efficiency research, reduces job duration by 5% per skill level.

o7
LW

2 Likes

An +X% increase in speed and a -X% reduction in time are not the same thing. As such, your new proposed descriptions are inaccurate.

• Example: If I increase speed +100%, time does not go down to 0%
  • Example: If I increase speed by +50%, time to completion goes down to 66.66% rather than 100%-50%=50%
  • Example: If I increase speed by +10%, time to completion goes down to 83.33%, rather than 100%-20%=80%

The original descriptions are exactly what they should be.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.