Slow Down the Combat

People do not tell you this.

2 Likes

With an enemy fleet big enough, true, you may only live a couple seconds no matter your ship.

Only damage caps (structures) or temporary invulnerability (rorquals) can let you survive more minutes then. But I don’t think damage caps or invulnerability should be a more widespread thing to slow down combat.

We do have other methods to slow down dying, assault damage control. You could still die in seconds against a fleet large enough, but for smaller engagements it gives you a good extra chance of survival while it is active.

1 Like

You don’t, I do.
It is a system that works.
ADC is a single class of ship only, not all ships, and is a form of limited invulnerability which you are disagreeing with above also.

One of the first things I learned when I started EVE was the fight starts the second you undock. There may not be any drama, but the second you undock, you are at war with other players. Some are friends and will help you. Some are neutral and will watch or escape, and some are enemies who want you dead. Having any other mindset in eve will get you dead fast. And even with that mindset, you sometimes end up dead, fast. It’s what keeps me coming back to eve. I never know what is going to happen with my character the second I undock from a station. I may fly sweet and clean, or I may die right there, or a few jumps later.

As a new player way back when the mechanics of war were, less forgiving, I fleeted up with a player that was at war with another corp (a mutual war they used to kill newbs like me then, with). My lovely Armageddon died. I was upset. But it taught me a valuable lesson, one I iterated above. And that lesson is the very core of what makes eve eve.

~E

[Monty Python narrator voice]

Once upon a time…

Eve ships used to have less HP than they do now.

Then people complained,
And the DEV’s resolve waned,
“Do they really need more buffer?” they said shamed.

“Yes!” cried the carebears.
“Absolutely!” moaned the PvPers.
And so the Devs gave 50% HP to all.

[/Monty Python narrator voice]

And then players started to double up their own firepower and numbers to compensate.

In the short run, this will do as intended and make fights “last longer.” Even create some “interesting” situations and fights.

In the long run, it will encourage “overwhelming firepower” tactics with greater players numbers and/or volley or DPS numbers. Because there is literally no tactical reason NOT to focus fire.

Then we will be back to where we are now.

Edit: There are are other dynamics regarding adding more HP.

Have you ever fought a person only to have them de-aggress, wait out the aggression timer, and then dock or jump through a stargate?
Ships having more HP will make these kinds of tactics more possible than before.
This is not necessarily a bad thing in some circumstances, but it will definitely add a degree of tedium to combat.

True solo combat would also be more difficult with all ships having more HP.
More HP means more time is spent fighting. Which, to be fair, is rather the point behind all ships having the extra HP.
But longer fights means more time for one side of the other to call for friends (because unless both sides are being honorable, why wouldn’t they?).
Effective solo combat relies on quickly engaging and disengaging before others come to crash the party. And unless one is using kitey tactics, reducing the opponents HP to zero and getting the ■■■■ out as soon as possible is imperative.

Another thing to consider is that it throws off the balance between various tanking styles.
Referring back to the history lesson I made above: Active tanking was in a really bad place for very long time partly because of that universal HP buff.
Any universal buff to HP will also have to see widespread changes to armor, shield, and hull modules to both prevent fitting shenanigans and keep all the tanking styles relevant (and not making buffer tanking more king than it is now).

3 Likes

Yes, people do say that about the lag making the battles more interesting. Just start this conversation in game and that is a go to reply - it gets better when you are in bigger fights.

As to fighting being faster in PUBG, etc, I play those games. Yes the gun shot can be faster (though often its not, and you actually get to dodge and fight back, hit point shooters being what they are). But you played for minutes before that stalking each other. If the game was log on, oh you lost, relog, how fun would that be?

And “Get a bigger ship” is a silly response - because WHERE is my motivation to get a bigger ship when I saw the games biggest draw - PVP - and it sucked? That is supposed to make me dedicate months and real money to trying it again?

The only reason I am still playing right now was I got suckered into a promo and have some omega time left.

Otherwise, I’d be playing call of duty or ANYTHING that is more interesting.

And, really, if I am so utterly outgunned, as I know I was, TWO points.

1. Even if it just winds up being the equivalent of a cut scene were I see his shiny ship shooting its weapons and watch them hit, that is still better than the naked ass of my dead pilot for a payoff. Show me the COMBAT!

2. If the game is about stacking massive ships to kill noobs at gates, is that really a good thing? Maybe the design should reconsider that choice. How dull is your game if people find the most entertaining thing to do is pulling the wings off flies? And is it a good business model to make your new customers and potential future income the flies in that scenario?

THINK about it. Don’t pat yourself on your back because you survived being the fly. CCP likes money and wants the game to last forever. That requires fresh meat. Bait the trap with something more enticing than the last scene in Sopranos for your first taste of PVP.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.