Small Frigate Arenas - A beginning to something greater

Good idea. You will have to be able to keep gankers from ganking in the arena.

I would suggest an area that is 500 km in diameter that has several different types of towers, web stasis, warp scrambling, Dampening, ECM, and Damage that would trigger when in range of the fighter.

What would be really interesting is too introduce toroidals . Toroidals would have entry points along its surface that would a ship of a certain size to enter the hollow toroidal. The pilot would then select an orbit point from the stacked and slightly offset group of toroidal orbit points set in their centers. The pilot would then receive an extreme bonus too their velocity that would shoot them out of the end of the toroidal in another location of the arena. Pick the wrong one and you will bounce around the inside of the toroidal.

The toroidal would shield the players ship of nearly 99.999% of damage.

These should be some BCMF fun to say the least.

Well, I don’t care what you found long ago. Go make sure there’s more of them again, instead of posting on the forums. You can do that, and I think that’s awesome! I can’t do that, because I really don’t like to do this, and thus even more so I wished you went out there to do what you should be doing.

Like, literally, posting changes nothing. The only way to change the game is by going out there and doing it. That’s what CCP cares about most, despite what all the clueless forum posters are thinking.

Valid point.

Not really your style.

I’m working on some content.

I’ve recently realized that Eve isn’t a game. For me, it’s interactive theatre.

With guns. And spaceships.

This revelation opens possibilities.

Not sure which part this is referring to. :slight_smile:

You finally start getting it!
Welcome to EVE! :smiley:

That is why I was proposing a frigate size arena, if you want bigger stuff then we got FW and null sec roaming. Eve is already a collection of mini games, most of them are pve grinds that are either infinite and repetitive (ratting/mining/exploring etc) either faster paced action intensive ones (abyssals, escalations, etc), and for me at least I always preferred the faster paced. That is why I like abyssals, they offer a nice 15 min fast paced heart pumping action.

Even if they are some people that roam in frigates in FW/Low sec (and they may be the majority those who use frigates), they are few, or at least the countless hours I’ve been searching for some fights resulted in too much time invested for little result. I feel that Factional Warfare is just to big the way it is now, with too many empty systems. The raw players that use FW is Imo too low to be meanigfull and fulfilling (not that there is none).

This option of arenas (ungakable- so in a WH or abyss space) would only come as a starting point/introduction for newer players and a way for them to experience what Eve has to offer, and thus motivating them to be using bigger ships for other pvp action that falls in to what Eve is now (slower paced, careful, planed, patience, waiting for right time, analyzing opponents, etc) while simultaneously offering vets a proving ground on small scale/solo pvp. Both situations either bring or keep people interested in the game.
Frigates are the entry level class of ships in to this game, making them used a lot more in this kind of situations doesn’t mean that it would stop people from roaming around in bigger ships.
This is only a situation of creating diversity, there are always people that would enjoy something new, and thinking that people MUST roam around to find fights will still deter most of them away, because in every community you will have a wide variety of people willing to do something. You can take this even as a start to revive a part of Solo PvP.

People that want to roam will still roam even if they have solo arenas available, people will still get together and make gangs. people will still use FW, etc, I’m only proposing diversity and faster paced, ready to go, new player friendly, attractive way of playing Eve.

As you said, you are afraid that people will come and do this instead of doing something else, well if it’s solo frigate pvp, then why not? You cannot anticipate how many people that are actually doing nothing (thus not contribute to any of what you are thinking that Eve is and meant to be played) would try something like this out.

1 Like

You know what’s interesting? I joined FW about 2 weeks ago and today I am leaving it with my corporation. Same as you, it was easy LP but I can’t deal with the consequences of the standings losses. Going to try something else instead. Not sure what I will burn my ISK on.

This thread seems to be full of paradoxes

Are you sure it’s “they” who do not care about what others are thinking?

Adding a PvP arena would make it impossible to find people to fight with because people would be too busy fighting each other…

People who roam through space looking for fights won’t be able to find any because everyone else would be sitting in a known area of space waiting for an opponent…

Creating a space for new players to fight would ruin the game. Instead you should create a corp and create a space for new players to fight…

This is something I’d be curious about. We don’t need to talk about adding small frigate arenas into the game because they already exist! Novice Faction Warfare plexes are exactly that! (Note that PvP hasn’t died because of it!)

So why aren’t they more popular? My personal view is that participating in FW is a little boring. Sometimes I sit in a plex for the full 10 minutes and no opponents show up. After capturing the site the system moves from 16.3% contested to 16.7% contested and I get LP that I can convert to ISK. I think more could be done with FW to make it a more exciting PvP activity. Something that would force more combat and make contesting a site more valuable.

1 Like

What i was getting at that you seemed to not understand, he was complaining that he cant find fights but wants to add arenas, that will give him his fights but make his initial problem of finding fights in the rest of the eve universe even worse. further more it makes it restricted to certain ship types which means if i want to blow you up in a 4B isk marauder i cant because your to busy doing frigate arenas.
Understand

Was this back when the nub plexes you were first taken too or could warp to had decent salvage, loot and were open so it attracted allsorts of players from scavengers to thiefs and pvpers?

Literally when i started and i frikkin loved those sites.

First they nerfed the salvage iirc, then they nerfed the sites for some reason; i have no real idea why - its where i first started picking up pvp stuff and learning about timers etc etc.
And if you didnt like it… you didnt warp to the plexes… hell even my dad liked going to those sites and he wasnt even a pvper…

I believe it was a good reason many a small corp war started too, now what do we have?

A system based on killing structures that tbvfh hardly anyone in nullsec can be bothered to clear with capital ships… and there in lies the issue, that ccp in all its infinate wisdom nerfs solo and small gang stuff with strange ‘fixes’ that are imho just f~*&%^&$%$g aweful.

Best fix to wardeck would have been to have it sp based.
Best fix to ships that seem too powerful in fleets… add an ‘if’
if ship is in close proximity to 10+ ships, accuracy reduced by xx%

Fixes to faction warfare are easy too in many ways, cyno jam the damn systems and make gate camping harder.

There are literally a thousand fixes better than the ones we keep seeing.

wtf is this sh#t now we got smh structure wardecs and no neutral rr

Thats just lazy writing.

OP just wanted to find fights. The system the fights are going to take place in doesn’t really matter.

Interesting quote! Now why would you say your wants are more valid than the OP’s wants? As well, why do you feel the need to blow up 2M isk T1 frigates with a 4B isk T2 battleship? I’m just curious as to your point of view!

i have the freedom to play in any ship i want any way i want, arenas limit you in terms of how many players and what type of ships which leads to stale content that will bore people.

Thanks for the clarification! I understand you don’t want restrictions on what ships you can fly and what modules you can use. Any ship you want, any way you want. But what about the restrictions already in place?

For example, how do you feel about faction warfare? Only T1 and faction frigates are allowed inside of novice complexes. That’s a restriction on any ship you want. Ships aren’t allowed inside of FW complexes if they have a warp core stabilizer equipped either. That’s a restriction on any way you want.

Faction warfare is also only the most obvious restriction. Many missions have ship restrictions. Warp Disruption Fields of any kind can not be used in High or Low Security space which is a restriction on any way you want. Wormholes have a limit on the size of individual ships that can jump through them. You won’t find any battleships in Class 1 Wormhole space since they don’t fit through the wormholes leading there.

How do you feel about these restrictions that are already a part of EVE? Do you believe that they have led to stale content?

For fw the ship restrictions are both PvE and PvP related. If you are attacking a smaller plex you are going against a small npc target. Same with a lot of missions. They are designed to give a bit more difficulty, granted not much. As for WHs and ships restrictions it can be more about adapting to the situtation since if you are attacking someone’s C1 they could have battleships or even capitals. Further more there are no restrictions for the most part on number of players involved making it more of a challenge. Arenas would just be about making the best ship for the most scenarios and everyone flying that one ship.

Edit: nestor battleships fit in c1s btw

1 Like

Correct, but you can sit outside that novice complex in any ship you like and try to fight anything that lands. If the Small Frigate Arenas are out in space, where people sit idly by in their ship waiting for a dual, that anyone can freely warp to said arena and fight them, that wouldn’t be so bad… though I doubt anyone would queue up at that point.

Yes, but all appear in space where anyone can (potentially) get to them.

And you will if they build one in their WH :slight_smile:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

Nice catch didn’t think about that! Thanks

Great post! Makes me think about the reasons behind the restrictions already present. I think you’re completely right when you say the ship restrictions some missions have are in place to add difficulty to them. Wormhole spaces have loose restrictions and centres around what can and can’t jump through the wormholes themselves. I’m not exactly sure on the reasoning behind restricting ship sizes through wormholes but I’m not sure it was done in an effort to restrict PvP matchups.

The only ship restrictions in place definitely meant to limit PvP matchups are inside of faction warfare complexes. I’m not sure I’d consider FW a PvE activity just because complexes contain a single NPC ship! It’s interesting though that you mention a PvP arena would actually have boring fights because everyone would go in knowing exactly what they’re fighting. That actually makes me wonder if such an arena would be a good thing after all!

Maybe PvP in EVE is only interesting because when you’re roaming around space you’re never sure who you’ll run into and what they’ll be flying. If you took that away and just made it frigate vs frigate or battleship vs battleship then maybe people would actually find it boring. Maybe that’s why FW isn’t a very popular activity? Maybe after enough Cruiser vs Cruiser arena fights players would know the exact ship and fitting that statistically leads to the most wins.

Flipping brilliant…

This seems like a wonderful idea. BUT, unfortunately i don’t like how you state that CCP should implement this. Eve is a sandbox, and you can make this yourself. Just fork over your own plex and stuff, and i’m sure there’ll be plenty of people who would be interested.

Literally nothing stops you fighting in any system. Set up a few corps with mutual wardecs for teams. Mutual wardecs are about to be free so this is a zero cost thing. Ok one holding alt who can be on a main account even. The fuel mechanic works perfectly for 1v1.
What you can’t do is bait newbies into fights they don’t understand via sneaky game mechanics.

The fact you claim game mechanics are stopping you says which thing you actually cared about doing.

+1 to OP. Ignore the nay-sayers. They are always playing an agenda that they won’t reveal. A 1v1 “arena” will negate their blob tactics and killboard padding.

The current FW system is absolutely broken and abused. If you’re looking for a 1v1 fight, you’ll have to scout 50+ systems BY DEFAULT, and cross your fingers that you’ll find someone who’ll actually engage you.

I honestly can’t believe people are recommending that you play OTHER GAMES. Does that sound healthy for Eve?

1 Like

Yes it does.
If EVE is the wrong game for someone it’s healthier for EVE and them to play something else.
This isn’t to say that every change to EVE is bad, but this one is very not EVE, it’s been explained why it’s so bad, and if someone can’t get past that then this is not the game for them.

P.S. You complain about going 50 systems to find someone for a fight, if this gets implemented then that becomes 100 systems, or 500 systems you have to try and go for a fight.