Starting Out - Starting Over

:facepalm:

1 Like

I think ccp recently changed it to where there are no mineable asteroids in security missions.

1 Like

some not all apparently from what someone else informed me of that.

In regards to USIA, there’s been several people that have been hired that were new to the game, and heard working with USIA is a good way to make isk and go from alpha to omega. While USIA does not allow grinders to run L1 and L2, due to the abysmal standings gains, New players are encouraged to hang out in social channels, as well as pregrind up to being able to do L3’s and can start from there.

Some corps don’t have L4’s in Hi sec, so running L3’s without having to go to low, is how some other corps have to have the missions and standings ran.

You are being obtuse with this whole situation. Making things harder than they appear. I’ve been in and out of EVE for 9 years… Every new character I make, first thing i do is go through NPE, then the career agents, cause thats free iskies, shippies, and skillbooks.

any person coming back, who is subsequently poor for some reason, can always start a new character, run through NPE/Career agents, then give the isk etc. to their main character.

Eh … not obtuse in the least.

When someone suggested alternative ways to start out - I checked them out.

Nothing - NOTHING - was EASIER than mining.

Mining takes NO Experience - NO Skills - and makes more money than what they could otherwise be doing with nothing but a Rookie ship and no money.

I’ve emphasized time and again that this wasn’t something they had to do - but - simply a quick way to earn some cash to start with. Once they had some money - they could go on and do something else.

I’ve been playing off and on since 2007 - have had almost 20 accounts (I think) and over 40 characters. And while some things about this game have changed - one has not. That is - Mission Runners - telling people to get to Level 4’s as fast as they can - and that nothing else matters - because running Level 4’s in a Battleship - is the be all and end all of playing EVE. And - that Mining Makes People Quit the game.

All of that is a lie.

People don’t quit the game because Mining is boring - they quit Mining.

They tell them - don’t loot or salvage your missions - just get to the next one!

Well … I took a look at that (again - I’ve done this before) and here is what I found:

OK … just ran a couple of Level 2 missions
Mission 1:
Reward - 70,000
Bonus - 50,000
Bounty - 70,000

Mission 2:
Reward - 97,000
Bonus - 94,000
Bounty - 193,377
Sub Total: 574,000
Cargo hold Est. of Loot and Salvage:

Total:

So - while the time I took to get this done is a variable - the Mission Rewards are NOT. Here - the the loot and salvage I got was almost 4 times what I got in Rewards and Bounties. So telling new people not to loot and salvage - but - just keep running those missions(!!!) is the kind of advice that is bad for new people.

YOUR advice to just spin a new toon - do the NEP & Career Agent Missions - just so you can give the ships and ISK to your Old Impoverished Character - is the worst advice ever. The one thing they have in this kind of a scenario (the kind of thing that HAS happened (there are videos on YouTube)) is their skill points. There is a lot of running around doing things you already know how to do in the NEP and CA Missions. Time much better spent by a character with a lot more skill points than a brand new one getting back to where they were.

One variable here - is if the OIP has access to Career Agents. If so - then they could run the first two for the Industry agent to get a free Miner 1 and a Venture - and get out of that Rookie ship. Then - doing what I said about going to a Station where someone is paying the most for such as Veldspar - and doing mine and return there - will get them money fast. Then - when they have enough money to buy the ships and equipment they need to really begin making use of all those skill points - they can stop mining in a Venture and go back to doing that.

Exploration? You need a ship that is suited for that. One mining run in a Venture will get you the money for one of those ships and maybe most of the modules too. If that’s all you need - then that’s all you need and you can go do exploration. But - you are NOT going to do Exploration in a Rookie ship - or - with the stuff they give you in the Exploration CA missions. The Data and Relic analyzers are ROOKIE ones. You can’t use THOSE. In the time you spent doing those Exploration Missions over again - you could have made more than enough money to just buy the stuff that will really do the job.

The ONLY reason for running the CA Missions - by anyone - is because they are new to the game and don’t know what you can do. Those missions are invaluable for a brand new player - trying to learn the game. But - Learning The Game - is what those missions are all about. Not making money. You can make a lot more money doing something else - if you already know all those missions have to teach.

Now - if you’ve been away for a while and just want the game to show you how to do something again - that’s fine - but otherwise - you are wasting your time.

Oh and here’s a link to someone losing everything and probably being podded:

Billions of blistering blue barnacles! That’s sad, telling newbros they should mine…dang…

Not everyone is looking to play EvE solo, you know. Newbros, join a decent group ASAP.

This is indeed a bit old, but mostly still applies. Also, since selecting a corp has a lot to do with human aspects, that stuff has not changed:

3 Likes

Please feel free to be totally wrong.

NOTHING is EASIER than Mining. Anyone who has played the game long enough to steer their ship and lock onto an asteroid can mine. If you can’t accept that - YOU - are the one with a problem. Now - I’m not surprised by this. EVE is dominated by the Mission Running Mafia. They’ve got a lot of people convinced so thoroughly that all forms of Mining are bad - that if you say anything good about it or that it is useful in any way the will have a denial fit - but that’s just because they’ve been brain washed.

Now - if someone wants to run Missions - I don’t care. I think everyone playing EVE should play the way they want to play (within what’s allowed by CCP) - but - so should those who WANT to mine.

And - my post was NOT about becoming a miner - it was about making some quick cash the easiest way possible.

As to joining a good corporation - sure - that’s a good thing to do - if and when someone wants to do it - but - reading your guide and understanding it is going to be a lot more complicated than targeting a rock, mining it, then taking the ore back to the station and selling it right then and there.

So - don’t feel all alone - most of the people running missions have been brain washed by the Mission Running Mafia the same way you have.

Is mining easy? Yes.

Is making significant money from mining easy? Not always.

There is a lot that goes into mining profitability: local market conditions (is anyone buying the ore within a decent range, that you can move your goods to quickly and safely?), mining activity by others (if someone has already mined out all the belts in your area, it can take a lot of time and effort to find a new place to mine), gank risk (let’s be honest - mining anywhere near a major trade hub is highsec is a death sentence), etc.

So I wouldn’t really call making money from mining any easier than taking a newbro community ship fit into missions - both have similar initial costs, time commitments, and payout, when you account for all considerations.

1 Like

That which is easy and readily accessible is not necessarily fun or profitable.

The purpose of a guide is to provide knowledge by which to empower someone to do better than what they could do without that knowledge. You are instructing them to do the worst possible activity they can possibly do with their time, ISK, and skill queue.

I’d rehash all the points said above, but it seems that what goes in one ear goes out the other. You will probably respond with a very lengthy post of zero constructive value. Once again, your advice is horrible, you have literally zero basis - qualitative or quantitative - on which to defend it.

The thread was dead for 8 days before you chose to necro it. Is your ego that sensitive that you just HAVE to get in the last word? You just can’t let it go? I can assure you none of us will - we owe it to others to make it clear as day that this advice is pure poison on non-opinion 100% factual grounds, so yes, we will sabotage this thread until it dies naturally or ISD locks it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.