Statement Regarding Caldari Union Day & Labor

I don’t. Again: I don’t think the actual structure of Caldari society is bad, or bad for the State. I just think calling a system that runs on nepotism, cronyism, and sucking up to those in power ‘a meritocracy’ because it has a thin veneer of ‘everyone gets tested for xyz and a statistically-insignificant number even manage to not be trapped in the jobs they were supposed to do for their whole lives’ is risible. The label, and the slavish, desperate clinging to the label, is the joke, not the functioning society it gets misapplied to.

I think the libertine, anarchic mess of Federal society is a completely different kind of joke. All that bickering and counting noses is just another form of hedonism, an indulgence of the ego of the everyman. ‘You all matter! Your opinions matter!’1 when clearly, most of them don’t, and the real power isn’t held by the masses, but by the backroom dealers, lobbyists, and grifters who get things done. That’s not to say hedonism doesn’t have its charms… it certainly does… but there’s such a thing as too much of a good thing.

1. And if anyone thinks this is a perfectly good description of the IGS itself, congratulations. It never fails to amuse me how many Caldari and Amarr take it upon themselves to involve themselves in a fundamentally Gallente environment as this, and then harrumph and scold people for daring to voice their opinions. That’s all this place is, after all: an exercise in Gallente ego-centric hedonism.

1 Like