Still anyone using Linux?

Hope you’re right!

Still fighting to make Eve Online working on my PC running Linux.
I will not install Windows for just one application. It’s just non-sense.
I think that CCP sould make a real multiplatform game, for linux like a proper company looking to reach the whole market rather of imposing limits and not caring about their costumers.

1 Like

I’m sure the penguin hivemind can help you, Reno, if you start posting something more about:

• your PC specs/versions of drivers/OS/libs
  • how you try to run the game - WINE (stable, dev or staging?) or Proton (version?)
  • what is the actual error/last message from the attempt(s)?

CCP won’t release a native linux client unless something drastic happens in DirectX land (like MS saying “DX is dead, everybody switch to Vulkan”). But I wouldn’t exactly hold my breath, waiting for that to happen.

OK. Quick skeleton of what works for me on the latest Ubuntu LTS. 64bit.

Install the appropriate Nvidia drivers from Ubuntu.
Install Wine-dev from Wine HQ.
Install libvulkan from the repository.
Install libvulkan:i386 from the repo. This bugged me for a bit. You need both 32 and 64 bit architecture for Wine.
Install winetricks.
winetricks corefonts d3dx9_36 vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2010
If vcrun2005 doesn’t work, not a problem. This is s bit of dead chicken on my behalf.
Look for and install the latest version of dxvk.
Run the set_up install scriptsl for dxvk.
Download the eve installer for windows.
Run the installer under wine. (wine eve-123456.exe sort of thing)

And it should work. Directx11.
You might need to install winbind from the repos as well.

Basically, Eve runs quite nicely under a more or less vanilla wine.

I’m working from memory here having done a rebuild last week - I might have forgotten something.

running it reliably for more than two years now on tumbleweed with wine-staging and dxvk + vkd3d (dx11 if multiboxing, dx12 otherwise). It works pretty well, the only downside is that multiboxing on the same grid has become insanely more difficult compared to windows and the launcher likes to take a vacation from time to time.

I didn’t even know about Steam Play/Proton until you mentioned it. I tried it and it failed a couple times, and then it started working. I’m using Zorin (basically Ubuntu). Will see how it goes long term. Thanks!

1 Like

Fedora 38 and Manjaro both work out of the box in steam.

I’m trying to run it on Steam installed via Flatpak on x86_64 with no luck. This is the terminal output:

https://paste.sr.ht/~whynothugo/4cd96a770acc16eaa2ef15176f0c1dcdfffa3234

I’d love to know how all that differs from the output of a successful run. A comparison would help me narrow down the root of the issue amongst all this noise.

Last several days (after something was updated) my game client goes unusable after 15-20 minutes of playing. CPU cores are used at 100% and game is like slideshow and then worse. I’m playing on Debian stable via Steam Proton (I tried versions 7, 8, experimental).

1 Like

Ive had a very similar experience to yourself. I was running Eve via Lutris with Proton GE 8 without issue. Now I go a few jumps with two characters and I drop to 1 fps till I relog both characters. I switched to Eve on Steam and the same thing was happening.

I alleviated the problem somewhat by upgrading to Linux Mint 21.1 from Linux Mint 20.3 with and Kernel 5.15.076 to Kernel 5.19.0-46. Now one client will randomly go high CPU and low FPS which is preferable to all clients going unresponsive and have my CPU sitting at 100%.

I can confirm this, at least on my notebook. it used to be fairly ok to run 3 clients and an eve anywhere client on debian bookworm, however i noticed the same as you guys on saturday. I found part of the fault in the icd loader used by lutris. Apparently the default was set to unknown: Intel ICD Loader(I only have discrete graphics on my notebook), but also had a second option for auto: Intel Iris Xe - I switched to that and it got slightly better, but the client at times will still use up the entire cpu. I can exclude that its due to an update of software packages, as i dont have automatic apt upgrades and havent upgraded wine in quite some time. leaves the eve client…

Ive switched to lutris-GE-Proton-8.10 and disabled Fsync and I am seeing positive results. Will keep this thread updated if I run into any further speedbumps.

just updated my wine to staging 8.12 from 8.9 - seems to massively improve the situation.

I stand corrected - issue still happens. seems to get triggered by docking on npc stations. also, wine 8.12 introduced a new issue where rotating the view with the mouse seems to get screwed up as soon as i fire up a second client. once i close the second client everything works as intended again. any ideas on that one?

I had the same issue on 8.12 as well. Have you tried 8.10-GE? Its not perfect but is playable with a single account. Anything more and I keep running into latency/fps issues over time.

will give that a try tonight. I really wish ccp just gave us a native client. but well, daydreams and stuff

1 Like

Also experiencing this issue. Updated to latest wine-staging (8.12) and the issue is still present. Since this doesn’t happen on windows, it might be worth reporting to wine maintainers.

maybe a dumb question, but what do you refer to when you mean 8.10-GE ? is that a special branch of wine?

Lutris Proton: GitHub - GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom: My custom build of wine, made to use with lutris. Built with lutris's buildbot.
Steam Proton: GitHub - GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom: Compatibility tool for Steam Play based on Wine and additional components

Custom wine/proton versions that are a fork/from the original versions which tend to have improvements from the master branch.

These custom Wine versions are intended to work with Lutris or Proton rather than as stand-alone Wine replacements.
I’m running on WineHQ’s wine-dev with DXVK (for dx11) and VK3D3-proton (dx12) inserted into it. They both come with --install and --uninstall scripts)l, but copying files by hand is possible.

Both dx11 and dx12 work, but I get the odd crash on dx12. Apart from that it seems pretty much bomb proof.

All the old messing around with winetricks seems to be past - dependencies appear to adequately load on the fly as a application is installed.