Still anyone using Linux?

Have you also noticed that the traffic in this forum with regards to Linux has dropped significantly over the last months? I am wondering why and I kindly ask you about your opinion. In particular I see the following reasons for this situation:

1. EVE is now currently running pretty reliably on Linux, for example if you use Steam which delivers it almost out-of-the-box.

2. People stopped running EVE on Linux.

3. Discussions about EVE & Linux moved to a different place.

For me number 1 is clearly what I observe, and thank you to CCP by the way for making this (unofficially) possible. What are your thoughts?

1 Like

Well ccp stopped any unofficial support for linux

Eve runs quite happily on a normal Wine build without need for various fixes and work arounds.

Caveat: Directx11 unless you build your own Wine with Directx12 support in it. The various Steam,/Proton Wine versions have that done already and provide an easy out of the box experience.

So, thank-you CCP for not doing anything weird that Wine canā€™t handle. And thank you CodeWeavers and others for your great work on Wine.

6 Likes

Yep, runs well here on Ubuntu. Going to switch to Tumbleweed soon and see how that goes.

2 Likes

Runs well on Fedora 36, wine stable 7.0.1. No complains so far.

Iā€™ve been running Eve on Tumbleweed for several years now without a hitch (unless Proton shits the bed on rare occasions).

Itā€™s been running quite smoothly on Steam.

Yes, #1 is the answer.

New launcher is coming, expect more activity on this thread. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeedā€¦ letā€™s see if the new launcher will be as challenging like the one from summer last yearā€¦

1 Like

Definitely confirm that it runs fine. Just downloading and running straight Wine 7.x or 8.x seems pretty solid. Perhaps a couple dependencies, but not much.
Steam has been solid; I donā€™t think Iā€™ve had an issue in over a year. Installed it on the laptop several times testing various things. Desktop hasnā€™t been reinstalled for quite some time.

Definitely 1. Especially under Steam/Proton (experimental here), no major issues since a very long time.

My screen loves to resize (from 3840x2160 to 3840x1600) on alt-tab, from time to time, but nbd.

I use it with Steam on Debian all works

1 Like

yeah, gentoo linux user here.
eve runs fine for me

confirm, Gentoo, wine-proton, works fine.

1 Like

Jump back in the game using Heroic Game Launcher in Manjaro (Arch); manual install using Proton-GE-7-49.
Surprisingly stable, no complain, even at 3440x1440. I did have to switch to border-less windows for alt-tab to not derp too much.
Thereā€™s a few things where it fails, but somewhat expect (such as opening a link, it raise an ā€œinternal errorā€, I have to copy URL then switch to a browser).

1 Like

+1 , Debian stable works fine so far

hmm, opening links works fine for me

Yeah, well, it works now, no idea why it didnā€™t work at the time of my post.
The ye old motto of ā€œhave you tried turning it off and on again?ā€ applies?

Itā€™s been working fine (untill tonight) thru Steam with Proton 7.0something, I run 5 clients. Not sure what happened today, I know Proton 8 got released but I didnt touched that, it was working fine last nightā€¦

Edit: I tried to download latest updates, not many and didnt seem related, but tried anyways. I ran the launcher again and its working. So then, Iā€™m still running ā€˜fineā€™ with Steam and Proton7something.

I am wondering if EVE Anywhere would not gotten sundowned if with a native EVE client CCP would have saved all the stupid Microsoft license costs for the serversā€¦

Naw. Just running in the browser sucked. It didnā€™t work.
Not on linux with chrome, chromium, or firefox.
Not on two different work machines with windows 10 and edge or chrome.
Not on a chromebook with chrome.
Not on an andorid phone with chrome.

I tried it many places and never once got a working login. The fact it ever made it out of beta baffles me.

1 Like