Stitch Kaneland for CSM 17

1 Like

I have translated your commitment statement into Japanese. I have only been playing this game for about a year. So I had a hard time translating your text. But I enjoyed working on it very much because you wrote a lot of interesting things. Sorry for my poor English.Thank you.

1 Like

I like your thought process you have my vote Stich.

What do you think about making sig tanking more important, I feel like the more alt’s someone is playing with the worse their flying is going to be and the worse their sig tanking becomes at that point, so a way to balance that might be to have a slight nerf to all (highest tier) weapon tracking and projection a little bit especially drones as they seem to chunk small targets very easily. Most cruisers don’t even swap to smaller tier drones to handle frigates they just leave their large or medium drones out and its more than enough usually. (unless the ship is moving crazy fast ofc.)

And weapons like Rapid lights seem to be a hard counter instead of a soft counter. Obviously I would not be against bs’s and such being able to project downward better than they can now if they fit the weaker gun’s.

Edit: Only noticed your weapon terricide notes now going through it but your bc / hac suggestions seem solid.

Yea you summed it up nicely :smiley: awesome man.

Only thing I would change is I think the rapid lights should have half the clip (maybe even 40%) and half the reload this will give a little more time for frigates to operate and get out before the reload comes off, the full clip of a rapid light cerb is rediculas and is super oppressive to any tackle ship I think its like 20k damage or something crazy.

I spend most of my time in small ship’s so I have no idea about rapid heavies.

1 Like

Drones is a bit funny because of the wrecking shot formula. The reason why drones gib frigates so easily (especially things like ishtars), is because the lower the % is to hit something, the higher the % the hit is a wrecking shot (which is a x4 damage increase IIRC).

So you bring an AB frigate against an ishtar, the heavy drones might miss a few volleys, and then suddenly you get hit by back to back wrecking shots due to how that formula ends up playing out which typically ends with you dying in 1-3 shots.

I’d actually consider buffing drone damage overall, but removing their ability to have wrecking and possibly smashing hits. Could also just consider removing wrecking shots completely, because this same issue shows up a lot with trig guns.

Rapid lights need a fitting nerf. There needs to be some kind of sacrifice to fitting RLML. You don’t need a 35k EHP caracal to kill a frigate. Alternatively, i’d like to see a new ammo type used for rapid lights, so they can decouple light missile balance from RLML. Something like a “light tactical missile”. Something along those lines. Maybe use the same for a new ammo type for rapid heavies, or a “heavy tactical missile” to de-couple heavy missiles from rapid heavies. As then you can balance the system and ammo individually without affecting frigates/destroyers for light missiles and cruisers/BC’s for heavies.

Then we can make the “tactical missile” have a larger explosion radius and lower explosion velocity so they don’t apply quite as well as standard light missiles. Which means you need to fit 1-2 application mods and lose some tank to be able to hit frigates for full damage.

1 Like

Pretty much a perfect solution really wish you make it into CSM bro o7

1 Like

Stitch for CSM!

2 Likes

You are on my voting list, I enjoy watching your videos.
What do you think about removing the Kinetic damage bonus lock on Caldari ships? I never really got the point why Amarr and Minmatar missile ships get their DPS bonuses applied to all damage types, but caldari only to Kinetic. For example the Drake only gets a bonus to kinetic missiles, while the Cyclone gets a rof bonus that applies to all damage types, plus 2 turret slots and a bigger drone bay. Its also not consistent throughout the caldari ships, some ships get a bonus to all damage types (Kestrel, Drake navy, Jackdaw).
And what about removing all the energy turret activation cost bonuses on Amarr ships and give all energy turret a -50% to activation cost across the board? These bonuses take a slot where other ships either get an application or tank bonus. An example is the Harbinger, which has that bonus, while the Brutix or Drake get a tank bonus. The Harbinger could be more useful with a resist bonus. And it would be cool if the Paladin get its cap capacity bonus back. These bonuses could be replaced with something more useful, and this could help ships that don’t have the activation cost bonus like the Abaddon or Maller.

This is fairly easy to explain. Each race typically specializes their T2 resistance against the opposing race’s primary damage type. As seen below:

Amarr primary damage from lasers is EM/Thermal
Minmatar primary damage from projectiles is explosive/kinetic (hail/barrage)
Gallente primary damage from hybrids is thermal/kinetic
Caldari primary damage as a missile race w/ hybrids is kinetic/thermal

So we see the following for the T2 resist profile

Amarr has high resistances in explosive/kinetic
Minmatar has high resistances in EM/Thermal
Caldari has high resistances in thermal/kinetic
Gallente have high resistances in kinetic/thermal

Caldari’s opposing race is Gallente, who’s highest resistance is kinetic. This is because Caldari often have ships that favor kinetic missile damage. Cerb, Hookbill, Nosprey, Drake, Nighthawk, Hawk, Corax.

They had to hard limit caldari to some degree because they can’t give gallente omni tanked resistances.

However, the kinetic lock comes with a positive, which is that you typically do more damage than non-kinetic locked ships. Using the drake you mentioned as an example, a HAM drake with rage scourge missiles does 721 dps before heat. HAM cyclone does 641 dps. Both have triple BCU in this example. The drone difference does help the cyclone slightly, but once you include drones on the drake, it still does more dps than the cyclone by about 30 dps. Also, drones can be defanged, which forces the cyclone to lose a good chunk of damage. Nighthawk is the same way, in that it can do 1200 dps compared to the claymore which only does around 900 dps at best.

There are some hulls that aren’t kin locked, because Caldari are the “missile race” and should have good missile ships. But a lot of their main line ships are kinetic locked. While some others have a primary kin lock and secondary RoF bonus so non kinetic missiles are still bonused in some way.

And what about removing all the energy turret activation cost bonuses on Amarr ships and give all energy turret a -50% to activation cost across the board?

In the past, the -50% activation cost was a subtle damage bonus, because it allowed you to use higher damage crystals with less cap penalty. Nowadays that is slightly less useful. However, it does still play an important role in one other area, which is fitting beams. Heavy beams and Tachyons use up large amounts of cap, having a cap reduction on those hulls is useful in those scenarios. The T1 harb is kind of the main one lacking still, because it struggles to fit beams and tank for fleet settings.

In regards to swapping out the bonuses, or in the case of the harb, getting a resistance bonus. The prophecy is the BC that gets a resistance bonus, so that is the more apt comparison for the Drake, Brutix and Cyclone. The harbinger is better compared to the hurricane or ferox, neither of which have tank bonuses either.

A general laser reduction or cap buff could be viable or needed, but most likely not a 50% reduction across the board. The abaddon being cap hungry is balanced, because it has a pretty significant dps bonus and can hit quite hard in fleet settings.

Stitch, even without being on the CSM, your balance suggestions already influenced changes to improve the game. I wish you best of luck and a successful campaign for CSM 17. You have my support.

1 Like

I select candidates based on agendas I think aligns best with my personal way of playing Eve Online: A focus on solo, and small gang PvP, sometimes with NPSI groups, and for a while now also tournaments.

Stitch is on my list because if someone can help CCP get balancing right it’s him.
This man has provided many well-thought-out ideas over the years. None of them game-breaking, all within measure. I have seen myself agree many times with his proposals and that’s why I put Mr. K. at the very top of my ballot.

P.S.: Thanks for the work on the Nullification changes on Interceptors. I feel like without your posting, this change could have pretty much crippled the use-case of Interceptors to a point of rendering them obsolete.

1 Like

Hope you get on CSM! Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.