Struggling with Hyperion

try faction ammo, boom +15% dps over t1.

also use your drones, I suggest sentry drones, the hype has a nice drone bay, warden IIs add 231 dps, if you can’t use t2 use navy, there will only be a slight dps loss. Gardes for short range missions, the other ones you can pick depending on the mission. And if it is a very short range mission those ogre IIs will do some work, might be worth it to even swap to blasters for those.

overall the hype looks a little underwhelming, although I’m not sure the mega is going to be much better. and with low skills and low mission knowledge those issues compound. The only two railboats that seem to work are the kronos and vindicator, and honestly I don’t really recommend either as a rail boat.

In general I think standard t1 bs are all a bit underwhelming, however they make for an alright stepping stone to get to better ships. Grind it out, learn the missions, train some SP, and save up for the next ship. I highly recommend the machariel. You mention your friend cutting through missions like butter in a tengu, well I can’t stand the tengu as I find it too slow, and the mach is one of the main reasons why.

Also: https://crossingzebras.com/hyperion-the-king-of-brawling-battleships

1 Like

Again, thanks for the replies. For a new-ish pilot, this info is gold.

So it will be probably 2+ weeks till I can fit any t2 guns, actually more since i"m training some engineering stuff atm to get more cap stable. After reading some of these posts, I’m really thinking about switching to the Dom for a bit while I continue training as my drone skills are a lot better than my gun skills. I hate to compromise, but I also prefer efficiency since my game time is limited.

One web won’t help you hit the spider drone with battleship guns unless it’s a 60% web on a vindi with IV or V hull skills and very good gunnery skills.

Source: I’ve tried.

1 Like

Personally I would stay with a Gun boat if you have those skills trained.

The Domi is missions on easy mode but that does not mean its really fast. Even with Garde II and 3 Damage modes your DPS tops out at sub 700 DPS. You get 50 more DPS with 425mm Rails and 3 damage modes on a Hyperion. If you fit 6 425mms to a Domi and use Jav you DPS goes up to 928, a Hyperion goes up to 967 with a set of Garde IIs.

So you are really just swapping Drone application for Tank.

1 Like

the web wont help you but will help your drones.

All the t1 battleships need to be rebalanced ala t1 bc’s. More bonuses/role bonus given and a general sizeable buff to tank/speed. They never should have been nerfed with the warp speed changes and alt of the bonuses are iffy.
Abaddon with 8 turrets at %25 damage = nightmare with 4 turrets at 150% there’s no difference between the faction damage or the standard damage assuming same fit.
Either way you get ten unbonused turrets of damage.
And most are less tanky than cruisers, have garbage cargo capacity for their size, and their caps are terrible. Marauders need to lost the tractor beam bonusel as well and get tweaked. We have noctises and mtus now. A ship with a bastion module that takes that long to get into shouldn’t waste bonuses on a tractor veam.

1 Like

would love to see a BS and large weapons pass. cargo and warp speed are probably my two main overall issues.

and sure abaddon and nightmare can do the “same” damage but in game they usually don’t thanks to differences in fittings also the nightmare only having 4 guns is a built in 50% cap use bonus. Tach nightmare is a pretty common pve fit, where the tach abaddon is pretty much unheard of.

and I still don’t want to see marauders lose the tractor beam bonus, it’s a pretty random utility bonus that is useful for running missions, and isn’t likely to get replaced with something combat focused. If anything I’d want it buffed many ships spawn/orbit just out of the 48km range. There are times where I want to tractor that one specific item, and going back and swapping to a noctis would be horribly inefficient, and an MTU would just blindly tractor the closest wreck, and often the thing I want isn’t the closest wreck.

2 Likes

Allow Marauder to overheat tractor unit?

The Nightmare gets a tracking bonus, as Chainsaw mention a hidden Cap usage buff as well as utility highs not to mention the awesome AB bonus (All the benefits of a MWD with no downsides other than a bit less acceleration). The Nightmare is clearly superior for PVE and PVP other than than cost.

Marauders are way better than T1 or most Pirate Battleships for anything that needs a lot of tank (C4-5 Whs), High end DEDs ect.

As for BS having less tank than Cruisers, that’s just not true. Most T1 cruisers hardly get 60K EHP with a real fit (2X 1600MM full tank Maller get 105K with no guns), T2 Cruisers struggle to get 90K with a real fit (Sacrilege 2X1600mm plates no guns gets 130K) , An Abbadon gets 166K with a real fit (242 with All lows tank T2 only and still space for Guns ect).

The only ships that really compare are Command ships or Hic (need to go full tank no guns to compare). Both take ages to get into and cost way more than a T1 BS especially after Insurance.

I’m legitimately confused. Why are you making this comparison? How does it advance your point about battleships needing role bonuses?

In that instance their bonuses cancel each other out. Effectively neither ship has any damage bonus and it goes for any of the Bs that just have a 25% boost to damage. Its really a wasted bonus really and like everyone else said the actual bonuses they get are unwritten technicalities not actual skill based bonuses.
All ships should have a role bonus and Bs are underpowered. They need massive buffs to put them above frigate groups. CCP needs to go in an unnerf the speed of large ships and double the health at least. They should be comparable to small capitals. The gap between a bs and small things like frigate and cruiser is too small. Even something added like warp core strength to Bs and up. Like some of the faction caps have.

The end result is all that matters. Who cares if its a Skill bonus, role bonus or slot layout. Better is better.

As far as frig vs BS goes. For 1v1 or fleet v fleet BS will in most cases win assuming they carry any of the anti frig modules in the game (Heavy Nuets, Scram, Grapple or drones). The issue is that the BS will just never get into that fight as the smaller ships will just GTFO. If you are talking about a blob vs 1 ship well that’s just life, the blob almost always wins, ISK does not buy you Indomitability.

That being said of all of the ships to complain about the Hyperion can take on a small fleet of smaller ships and come out on top. A scram, grapple, triple rep, MJD fit can take thousands of DPS kill everything in scram range and just MJD away.

Sorry I didn’t answer this. I have amarr and minmatar ships skills trained to battlecruiser now and I’ve been playing around the past few days with their ships for fun since I’ve been grinding faction rep to play with some friends. I have their up to lvl3 medium projectile turrets and medium energy turrets. I have hardly any skills in shields, mostly all in armor.

If you have the drone skills, and don’t mind the idiotic way drone agro works, then the Dominix is probably your best bet until you get those gun skills to 5. You can always grab a Navy Domi with the old gun bonus if you want to ease into using guns.

The Hyperion is a good ship, but once your tank skills are properly set up you will want a Megathron, because it can tank sufficiently and the tracking bonus helps. I think it’s the Navy Megathron that has an extra low, if you really want more tank. You won’t completely escape drones regardless.

As a more practical consideration, when using drones I’d go with a TP over Webs because the TP can be more easily used for pulling in groups of rats and aggroing your drones. Unless you are dedicated to using blasters the range advantage far outweighs the superior performance of a web.

I’m also from the ‘cap stable’ school of PvE, relegating buffer and peak performance fits to PvP. I’d not go with Cap Batteries except on certain smaller ships where they can actually make your cap recharge faster than a cap recharger.

To really use guns you will want a Maurader. Bastion makes even short range ammo in blasters liveable. You might also consider microjump drives… A good Rail fit plinks even spider drones from 100k, though you don’t want to miss that first shot.

1 Like

so far I have tested, cap batteries of correct size are always better than cap recharger. cap batteries oversized are of course even better. That is, without considering the neut reduction.

I also consider that cap stability is by far an overrated quality of your ship.
To improve cap stability you just need to remove all reps - won’t make your ship better

actually the second shot will deal more damage if the drone had not activated its MWD on first shot. on second shot the drone will be aligned toward you and with bloom boost on = easy target.
If they are two on the other hand the remaining one will be on you a few seconds after that …

Almost-cap-stable is sometimes best for PvE. Once you clear a couple of ships out, you don’t have to run your tank constantly, so you can spend the fit space you would have spent on cap on something else instead. Maybe… a prop mod, another damage mod, or damage application.

With a Domi, raw damage numbers are not going to be impressive for a battleship. But, because of its slot layout, it’s crazy versatile. Except grr warp speed. Sigh.
As a mission boat, the easiest thing to do with a domi is to load sensor boosters, a MJD, a MWD, a drone tracking link, drone control range mods, and a lot of sentry drones. It doesn’t have to tank very hard, because most of the rats won’t hit at that range. It can use almost any damage type it wants because drones just don’t care. Except the Gardes have range issues.

Depends on the ship, Ships with a large Cap pool to start with benefit less from Batteries.

Most Amarr ships are like this (at least the BS where there is no oversized mod)

that’s exactly what I mean : getting cap stability is a trade off. sure more cap is always better, but it is never free.

Also domi will get hit very hard by guristas/caldari bs. Some hit you at 250 km. you need to be always moving to reduce their damage by a tiny bit