Suggestion : D-Scan Overhaul (also intended against cloaky campers)

but but muh afk ratting

Would making the cloaking action work for an unlimited amount of time, so long as the person hit the remain cloaked button every few minuets to force the cloaked person to remain at the key board and remain active to some extent be an effective balance measure?
Add in random timers for the continuation of the cloak to prevent botting even?
For example
Cloak is activated, count down timer starts (say 9 minuets) at 8 minuets 45 seconds you have to push the ((re-calibration control button)) within the next 15 seconds to stay cloaked and reset the timer to another random time, say 6 minuets 20 seconds, then last 15 seconds ((re-calibration)) must be done to continue maintaining the cloak, then another random timer is set say 14 minuets 12 seconds etc, etc,etc.

But if you miss the re-calibration cycle, your cloaks go offline for a full 2 minuets from getting thrown out of calibration.

The 15 second recalibration cycle could have an audible chime to warn of the CPU going critical.

After the 2 minuets is up you can return to cloaking again and restart the cloaking cycle until your mission is complete and you get out of Doge, safe log, you fall asleep or go AFK.

However, if the recalibration is not finished properly, EG (You have to actively recalibrate in the recalibration cycles last 15 seconds) you will incur heat damage upon the cloak systems from processor overload.

This theoretically would eliminate AFK cloaks and still let people stay cloaked as long as they want or need, while also giving no more excuse for complaining about AFK cloaking and a fair shake of the stick for people wanting to try and whack the clumsy/inattentive cloak ship pilot.

In addition, it would avoid messing with local, avoid the quagmire of the defenders forcing a person out of cloaking and avoid complaining from people saying

((I want my 100% safe, pay to win, physiological warfare, seal clubbing .50 BMG point blank no scope head shot, cloak and scoot with cyno blop! Don’t take it away from me!))

Though it would not stop the complaints of

((I want my 100% safe, set it and forget it, get rid of local so people can’t tell if I get lazy or go AFK so things are easy because I pay to win and want my physiological warfare and easy seal clubbing .50 BMG point blank no scope head shot, cloak and scoot with cyno blop! Don’t take it away from me!))
This too could be implemented for mining to stop AFK mining… Theoretically.

Say after a random number of mining cycles, the mining computer must be re-calibrated to keep mining functions in operation.
For example

Targeted asteroid, engage mining laser, after random number of cycles (we will say 3 this time) a re-calibration alert is sounded, the re-calibration must be done in the last 15 seconds or whole mining cycle and yield is lost and mining laser is disengaged and mining systems go offline for 2 minuets because of mining computer falling out of calibration and will take 2 minuets for re-calibration to compleat before mining operations can resume.

However, should you fail to hit the recalibration cycle in the last 15 seconds of the 2 minuet recalibration, your mining laser/strip miner will suffer heat damage from processor overload and every 15 seconds will incur more heat damage until destroyed.
Preceded by an audible chime to warn of the CPU going critical at the 15 second mark.

Meaning inattentive/AFK miners will get nothing but damaged equipment, lost profits and little to no ore.
To be even more devious, make the over heating CPU chime the same as the ore hold full chime. :wink:

Which theoretically should increase the price of ore and minerals as it would require attention to harvest valuable ore and cause a shift in ore and mineral prices. Maybe a lot, maybe a little. But over all miners would be able to charge more for ore as it would be more difficult to get than just targeting a rock and pushing one button until the rock is gone.

This is just a suggestion, nothing more, nothing less.
I could be wrong and completely off the mark too, ya know. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

No, because no changes are needed. AFK cloaking is just fine. If you don’t like it then stop sucking at EVE.

This too could be implemented for mining to stop AFK mining… Theoretically.

The correct way to stop AFK mining is to remove all profitable minerals from highsec, therefore allowing Darwin to do his work. If you go AFK while mining you get to be a killmail.

How do you remove profitable minerals? lol

By making each asteroid contain a low ISK value, and by introducing new highsec ores that take as long as current ores to mine but refine into a very low value of minerals. Your ISK/hour mining in highsec drops to the equivalent of level 1 missions, and if you want anything better you have to leave safe space. Newbies can still learn how to use mining ships/equipment and slowly accumulate money for a real ship, but everyone but the newbies will have to move on if they want to progress in the game.

Alternatively, you could handle it with a flat ban on mining barges and their strip miners, much like bubbles can only be used in nullsec. The ore would still be there, but you’d be back to the old days of mining it with a T1 battleship fitted with mining lasers while your lowsec/nullsec competition would be getting vastly superior ISK/hour with real mining ships.

Yea that could work but there are waaaay to many people in highsec who simply dont want to leave it and while i would love your idea, we would lose alot of players which is bad for the game :confused:

btw this could be achieved by making mining like PI. You dont do PI in HS because its not worth it(taxes)

No, it would be great for the game. The worthless parasites leave, and most of them are probably alpha accounts anyway so CCP doesn’t even lose subscription money. Most highsec-only players are “level my Raven” types that have minimal interaction with anyone else. Aside from less gate traffic visible on your overview when passing through highsec you’d probably never even notice their absence.

Do we have any figures on any of that?

Sorry, but these ARE constructive comments. I’m telling you (constructively) that you have to first identify the problem before you go proposing solutions. Your proposal is a fine solution to a balance problem that doesn’t exist.

Cloaky camping isn’t really that much of a big deal. There’s already a whine thread somewhere you could check out. If someone is AFK they aren’t going to hurt you. If someone is not AFK they are playing the game just like you. Risk free ISK grinding sucks. Fight for what you want etc.

The dscan module had potential merit imho, but the whole waaah cloaky camping narative really threw that out of the limelight.

Can’t fight what you can’t see. (Derp)

Undocking would be a start :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Now there exists no doubt, you are a troll.

You’re complaining about cloaky campers, so it’s likely you’re risk averse and won’t undock if there is a single neut in local. The joke was fairly self explanatory I’m not sure why you don’t get it.

3 Likes

(Wrong)

(The joke is not funny for how over used it is by trolls and defenders of the status quo (same thing) and thus only a troll would use it.)

Wait…what? You think anyone defending current balance and game mechanics is a troll? LOL. That’s just crazy.

Your inability to comprehend my words does not make me wrong. If you’re worried about cloaky campers, you are risk averse and should stop being such a wendy.

It’s really funny that you call me a troll because I suggested you undock instead of hide. It’s actually not as scary outside as you think it is.

Lastly, learn what brackets are for in writing. They don’t mean what you seem to think they do.

I apologize for misinterpreting your “jokes” Keno Skir.

No worries. Your DScan disruption module was interesting at the very least.

there is more afk mining in null than in hs… or at least there was till Russia nuked their bots