Syrikos hounds and the Zaibatsu

So your original post was aimed at her? That clears things up.

I should point out that the Chief Fabricator doesn’t speak for the entirety of the Zaibatsu. That honor goes goes to our Patriarch who essentially spoke for us all when he made the deal to take the hounds. We’re gonna train these hounds, we know we can.

Whatever Viokoro’s problem is - whatever it be fear or ignorance - won’t be a factor. At least that’s we hope…Already got some messages from home of her running her mouth already trying to get colonists to side with her to stop what we got planned. Sadly for her, the deal with the UNF is already sealed and we’re gonna honor that deal.

1 Like

Don’t take this the wrong way. I’m not trying to engage in the sort of organization-level debate that’s so prevalent on the Summit these days, where the goal is to score points instead of to arrive at clarity. I’m merely presenting my own experience with the animals. This isn’t a debate of press statements. This is one woman responding to another.

Though the ‘Ms Akahoshi’ bit stings, Aria. I’d have hoped you remembered that we were on a first name basis. But I understand how memory loss can go. I’ve struggled for years to overcome the little gifts our Mr. Zaitsev bestowed on me.

Ma’am I’ve been trying to arrive at clarity. You make a thread named “Syrikos Hounds and the Zaibatsu” and don’t clarify that your original statement is in direct response to the Chief Fabricator’s qoute - but it reads as if its aimed at the Zaibatsu as a whole. I’m here to clarify that we know they can be trained - we agree with you they are smart enough to be trained and we are working towards training them now.

The Chief Fabricator has her own personal opinions on the matter and does not speak on behalf of all of us with her remarks.

Anything you post on IGS is going to be subject to debate, love. Water is wet.

No it’s not, you just perceive it as such.

:wink:

1 Like

Can we not. For once, can we rotty not.

I speak as someone who has made a hobby of managing actual pet Syrikos hounds, so I think I know what I am talking about by now–they are wonderful pets and absolute terrors. “Purser” hounds (miniature slavers) are to a one inbred for the sake of calmness and sociability, which was not common in the original stock, and also for cute physical traits like smallness, curly ruffs, and upturned snoots. All of this at the same time, so naturally there are various defects also encouraged by coincidence.

What it takes to make a slaver hound a housepet is not good for the slaver hound! It is not the hound’s fault, ever, but where there are not health problems there are temperament problems, and the best one can hope for is ongoing refreshment of breedline genetics to improve the health and genetic diversity of the little ones.

But. A slaver hound as a wide-ranging, working animal? Goodness, they are already optimized if one goes to proper breeders. They are useful and beautiful and positive ways to train them are so very well-documented one barely needs to look. What one does need to look for are shady breeders who sell irresponsibly-bred, traumatically-raised, poorly-documented animals as pets suitable for confined spaces and inactivity. That is not good for any slaver, and worse for the full-sized ones. Bad training, it is also bad for any of them.

So, I’ve decided to tell my favourite slaver hound story.

When I was a teenager, we had a slaver hound as a guard pet in our house. Normally she liked to sleep on the roof, or on the balcony, so she could watch people coming and going.

Anyway, I was the captain of the cheerleading squad at our school, and so one time one of the boys in the sportball team asked me out on a date, which was quite exciting.

But when he arrived in his sports hovercar outside my house, our slaver hound who was snoozing on the roof, suddenly jumped down and attacked him. Turns out, she could smell the scent of another girl’s perfume lingering on him. And if there’s one thing slaver hounds detest it’s disloyalty.

Needless to say, I immediately took to social media and posted pictures of my hound attacking him, which incidentally led to me identifying the other girl, and solving the whole mystery.

1 Like

I do not consider an animal suitable for domestic ownership if it’s just waiting for the moment you stop being useful to eat you.

So it’s no different than the rest of us, then…

Yes, yes, we know, the Angel Cartel members all have pet goats, rather than carnivorous pets.

Really? That’s actually quite amazing, given the normal effects of extensive inbreeding on mental stability.

As demonstrated by the Noble houses and their slaver breeders.

1 Like

Well, yes, but the insanity caused by inbreeding among the Heirs isn’t the fault of the Hounds!

2 Likes

I mean, given the rabid yappin’, at the very least they’re rolemodels even if it might not be entirely their fault.

1 Like

Well, with the definition of wet, 99% of the time you’re talking about water it is wet, if it’s only one molecule of water then it’s not.

Wetness is a sensation you use to describe what water feels like. Water itself isn’t wet. Pedantry hoooooo!

2 Likes

Selecting for what in a slaver hound would be an unusual placidity of temperament, yes, that is inbreeding for calmness. I know, it doesn’t often work very well. And when one is also selecting simultaneously for other unusual traits…it is a gamble! Always. Poor things.

Unfortunately it seems to be an accidentally endemic result that breeding for placidity results in very stupid little animals. It affects how much they can be trained at all, even with the best techniques. But the big ones, there isn’t that issue! They are very smart. People who do not responsibly train their full-size hounds have no excuse when it leads to unwanted behavior.

It worked out fine in the end. Meo continues to reside at the estate, working faithfully as a member of the security detail and my personal protection hound during trips. He’s also finally fathered several pups after we managed to work out the kinks with the breeding programme. Still doesn’t get on with the twins though.

He’s kept busy, given a lot of love and a massive dose of respect, and even has a certain SFRIM illumni as his personal caretaker when my duties keep me away from him. You can visit him at the kennels when he’s not on shift duty, you know.

1 Like

Just stick a ■■■■■■■ tcmc in the Syrikos Hound and slave it to your oseocrin bonded control lace.

Bam, your own personal hunter/killer unit.

Nothing like getting to watch it rip out some fuckers throat out with your own eyes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.