T1 Cruiser and below for learning low sec hunting

Hey everyone, so, I’ve been playing for a couple months now and have a few kills under my belt, nothing exceptional but I’ve put myself out there at least. So far, I haven’t done any dedicated PvP roaming yet, and I’d like to invest some of my ISK from DED Site running into learning how to do that.

I’ve got enough skillpoints laying around to train into any particular small or medium T2 weapons platform, but so far I’ve favored Amarr, Caldari, and somewhat Gallente ships so ideally I’d like to try out lasers or light missiles, maybe hybrids (but I don’t like the range limitation of blasters). In my theorycrafting I’ve thrown together these two fits, for the Omen and Caracal:

[Omen, Synapsid Prototype V]
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
1600mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
Damage Control II
Multispectrum Energized Membrane II

50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Warp Disruptor II
Small Capacitor Booster II

Focused Medium Pulse Laser II

Medium Kinetic Armor Reinforcer I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

Warrior II x3
Warrior SW-300 x2
Acolyte II x3

Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Scorch M
Navy Cap Booster 400
Conflagration M

[Caracal, Megafloppid I]
Ballistic Control System II
Damage Control II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Warp Disruptor II

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II

Medium EM Shield Reinforcer II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Auxiliary Thrusters I

Warrior II x2

Any thoughts? I’m open to alternate ship recommendations (other cruisers, frigates, dessies, etc.) or advice on what I have here already. I can pick one of these and fly it today, and then would be able to train into the other one over a couple weeks. I can definitely afford to fly and lose these so that isn’t an issue, though any cheaper ideas are of course appreciated. I would be flying solo most likely.

Thanks!

What kind of targets are you looking to kill? Do you want to PVP for profit, or are you looking for the max number of fights? Or maybe you’d like to fly “hero” style and take on ships bigger than you?

IMO, the best approach to successful solo PVP is to figure out what you want to fight, and then design a ship against those specific targets while avoiding everything else.

edit: you can fly those fits and see who you win or lose against. after awhile you should enough of an idea on what ships to engage and avoid.

2 Likes

If memory serves(I’m getting old so it might not) but that caracal is pretty close to the ‘standard’ frigate shredder fit. I imagine you’ll probably be fine with that one running around for fun. May lose a couple if you get tackled by something your size or larger, but should also be able to get away before then.

That Omen, on the other hand, will probably struggle with hitting hitting things. There’s going to be a window in there you can probably do enough, but too much closer and you get scrammed, any further and you risk dropping point/falling out of range. I’d also not bother with the kinetic reinforcer, going with another trimark, but that’s a small thing.

But yeah, having a desired target in mind is always a good step. I’m not, nor was I ever, a huge soloer, more a small/med gang guy where I could, that disclaimer out of the way…

If you want something that is a bit more generalized, I’d put forward the Vexor. It’s drones and slot layout give it a lot of options for fighting smaller ships and equivalent ships. Personally one of my favorite cruisers cause it can do so many fits. Otherwise, expect to lose some(maybe downgrade some modules a hair to cushion the cost if isk is tight) or try some frigates, too. Granted, it’s been long enough since I yolo’d around in a frig I’m not gonna try and sound like I have any idea what I’m talking about on that one. Incursus used to be fun though.

So your wanting to start pvping a bit more and learn in cheaper hulls. That’s a very good idea. I’d suggest joining one of the militias.

You will learn a lot about pvp in the militia. Those guys know how to fit ships and are more than happy to share their insights.

Militia pvp mostly is frigate, destroyer, and cruiser so you will fit right in.

1 Like

Caracal is pretty standard. And it is ok. But Omen is quite bad. Plates and trimark rigs make you much slower. And middle modules for kiting will not work. So try other omen from zkb with bigger speed.
And you mast have the plan. And must have plan B before you will get a fight.

2 Likes

look up nano fits for hunting

1 Like

Nano fits for what size of hull? And what do you want to hunt? @Happy_Isaac

I would suggest going through the zkill and looking at the fits for the cruisers you are interested in. Choose pilots who otherwise are successful (everyone’s luck runs out eventually)

As for general advice, perhaps a Stabber.

1 Like

i am not looking for fits was suggesting op to look up nano fits

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.