Team Security: Rules and Policy Clarifications

As one of the louder voices that demand ajudication by CCP, I welcome this thread but feel sorry for those tasked with dealing with us.

1 Like

This is a new trend that we are now pursuing, more transparency in the actions of Team Security.

Don’t need to be sorry, no one is standing behind us and forces us to be here on the forums.

Worst case, we still have the ban hammer that we can use to deal with you guys :grin:

3 Likes

Are you named after the recon 'mech by any chance?

1 Like

Uff, after 10 years in CCP and multiple Fanfests and other different EVE Online events, you are the first one who picked that one up.

Yes indeed, but I never got too deep into it, I did read some novels regarding Mech Warrior but the name was forged back when internet presence was been established (can’t remember the year) but this was one of my first SciFi online games that I played in a Clan and I had to choose a Nickname and for some reason Stinger got stuck. Still remember the landings on the planets to capture them and to throw out the clan who was defending.

Good job, I actually completely gave up hope that somebody would pick it up :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Its what I always think of when I see the word.

Nice, wonder if we were in the same online campaign.

Ah it seems so long ago now. Anyway nice to meetcha

(Also Stinger > Wasp)

1 Like

Haha,
Stinger vs Wasp: A battle for the ages… ok maybe not, but still an interesting fight. Who will win???

My pleasure to meet you too

1 Like

Stinger of course

1 Like

ill take your stinger and wasp and raise you a locust that could kill both.

1 Like

So Im guessing a LCT-S or W.

Not the M unless youve got a duper pilot.

And we dont talk Clans. Its a slipperly slope.

1 Like

@GM_Stinger @GM_Aisling

Firstly, I want to thank Team Security for their work and for taking the time to write up this blog post.

I had two questions.

1. Has the introduction of skill extractors & skill injectors made the situation with draining characters for SP worse? I see it was mentioned both in regards to selling player characters for real money, as well as hacking accounts and extracting the account’s characters.

2. GM Stinger touched on alpha account multi-boxing earlier, but I was wondering if you could elaborate on the situation. Particularly, how many actions taken are against casual players looking for an edge/exploit for personal in-game advantage, versus I suppose what might be called “industrial exploitation”.

Thanks again!

Clans always felt like a mistake except as npcs

m

Eh theyre nice enough when you get to know them. Nonsensical but nice.

Still make more sense than all of EvE’s “lore”.

1 Like

Thank you for your engagement! Always feels nice to talk to you guys :slight_smile:

Hi!

That’s very nice of you, thank you! :slight_smile: I’ll try to answer as detailed as I can.

1. Extraction was introduced in 2016 and yes, it definitely was a major pain at some point, when Team Sec did not have tools to deal with it. I wouldn’t say that it’s worse now, accounts do get hacked/shared/sold, you name it, but in the past year I personally don’t see a huge spike or something like that. Just business as usual. Use the two-factor to avoid that, pretty please! :pray:

2. I think it usually comes to case-by-case scenarios. There is alpha exploiting and botting, those are a bit different in our books. Usually exploiting multiple alphas results in a permaban, no exceptions. If they were used to personal game advantage, people tend to create a couple of Omega accounts later on and most likely they won’t appear on our radar anymore. By “industrial exploitation” you probably mean big groups, right? In this case it’s a bit more complex. If it’s alpha abuse, then it’s the same permaban, and if it’s more on the botting side, then we are forced to cut their access to the game completely.

I hope it makes sense :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi again!

Thank you for taking the time to answer. By industrial exploitation, yes I mean by big groups or an individual using a large number of alpha accounts systematically for profit. This answers my questions, though I am going to add more if that’s alright:

1. Have extractors become less of an issue for you (by virtue of having the tools for it now, or otherwise) or are they as persistent an issue as ever?
  2. In a related vein, is Team Security satisfied with how the situation with extractors is (and their ability to combat its exploitation), or could we see a change in skill extractors in order to combat their use for exploitation?
  3. You say you haven’t seen any spikes in extractor issues. Has there been a trend upwards or downwards in the level of it?
  4. In Final Fantasy XIV, in order to encourage the use of two-factor authentication, Square Enix gave an in-game reward of allowing teleportation to a certain place for free on your characters if you set up 2FA. What are Team Security/CCP’s thoughts of following in this idea, and offering a reward for setting up 2FA? E.g. A skin; a skill point reward; etc?
  5. When discussion in this thread has concluded, can the additional information given in response to various players’ questions be added to the Devblog? Then there is a central place for all this information, and digging through this thread in the future won’t be necessary.
2 Likes

Is this considered RMT ?

A Live streamer has a loyalty point system, where the longer a viewer stays in the stream channel, more points are gained, if the viewer is subbed they get additional points.

At the end of the week, they run a ISK/Skill Injector type of giveaway to only the top 5 viewers who have the most points

Next week resets points

Money is gained via Ad Revenue, bits/tips and sub fee’s

Absolutely!
All right, lots of valid questions, let’s try to unwrap it.

1. No, I wouldn’t say so, for TS it’s just business as usual. But I joined it later on, after the injectors were introduced so I can’t really feel the difference, I suppose. Hacked accounts are persistent, and it usually goes in waves, mostly the spikes are on holidays for obvious reasons and in summers, when people are on vacations. Other than that… I think it’s just as always.
  2. I don’t think any changes were ever discussed within TS. But honestly, it does not really matter for us if it’s PLEX or injectors. As long as there is any in-game currency, baddies will find to exploit that, and as long as players have it in their possessions - there is always a certain risk associated with it. Other departments can have other opinions, personally I am not aware of that.
  3. Ah, I think I touched this subject in the first answer :slight_smile: It comes in waves, yes, and the spikes are usually bigger for holidays since lots of people are getting scammed, there is more fraud happening, people tend to be less careful with their cards and payments. To be fair, it’s not just EVE related issue, but worldwide, lots of big companies are facing it.
  4. Super cool idea, I’ll bring it up to the table, thanks! The problem is… our team is somewhat limited in resources, human-power, and implementation of good ideas might take longer than we hope for. And some things are just impossible to implement from the technical perspective.
  5. I don’t think so, unfortunately, we can not edit the blogs. But this forum thread will stay here :slight_smile:
1 Like

Again, very helpful and insightful answer. Thank you again. Even if implementing the reward idea in #4 takes a long time, I would be happy to see it done so. I understand the limitations on your team.

I only have two more questions, then I’m done and will stop bothering you.

1. There has been a persistent RMT spammer in Jita and the help channels. The ISDs do their best to keep it under control, but they always come back. Is there any hope for a permanent solution here?
  2. Is Team Security hiring? :grin:
1 Like

Good question! I double-checked with our community folks just in case. Yes, this is against the rules for EVE and Twitch as well. Community also mandate that every giveaway is done in such a way that everyone has equal chance to win.

Can you provide the security teams contact email so we can provide you with video evidence and the name of the player?