Testing Result for Beta EVE Launcher

Glad to hear it! Note that the original patch could -possibly- break other things, although it’s already a super weird edge case which is why it went mostly unnoticed for so long. A more granular and “correct” patch has been submitted upstream and is waiting for review, I’ll update the thread if it ends up getting merged

Of course i am understand that wine-staging with custom homemade patches is something that can break things. That is the reason why I am keeping a dozen versions of wine, thanks to easy way to do this in gentoo.

What if it will not be merged? any chances to see whats wrong then?

FCK … same for TQ after todays patch … lol …

It seems like today’s patch broke my lutris/linux setup. It will start the launcher, but the game won’t load. Anyone else with that problem after todays patch?

Same for me was using proton 6.16 GE. Launcher loads,Steam says game is running, that’s it…

For the issue today (2021-10-13) see Client start exception after today update - steam which has a workaround.

1 Like

Is there a linux w/around for this or only windows?

1 Like

That’s great man! Sorry I couldn’t compile it correctly in time. Kind of a head scratcher for me there. Anyway, I suspect this patch will help play the game moving forward starting today. (see below).

Yep. Same here. I’m running Lutris as well.

So, this happened before on SiSi. And thanks to @Renard_DuGaulle 's work in diagnosing, if you copy launchdarkly_client.pyd to the SharedCache/tq location, the game will continue to work. You will have to copy this file every time you run the Eve client, as it does get deleted when Launcher boots (and maybe on other occasions).

The one liner on my computer from my user’s home directory is is: cp Games/eve-online/drive_c/EVE/SharedCache/tq/bin64/launchdarkly_client.pyd Games/eve-online/drive_c/EVE/SharedCache/tq/

I’m using the default Lutris folder locations.

I’m extrapolating a bit, given that the fix was the same as it was when the issue hit SiSi. But, it looks like his patch will hit wine 6.20, if it gets accepted. So, if it does get accepted, then that version of wine will most likely fix the issue.

I guess someone who was successful in applying the patch (and compiling the wine version) could let us know if the patch also fixes tq.

2 Likes

That works. Not convenient, but perhaps there will be a permanent fix later.

Yep. I agree that it’s uncomfortable/inconvenient. But, it works. :slight_smile:

Renard submitted a patch which may make it to wine 6.20. From what I understand, it may be a permanent fix.

Excuse my linux illiteracy but where do you find launchdarkly_client.pyd?

standard is: ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/8500/pfx/drive_c/EVE/SharedCache/tq/bin64/launchdarkly_client.pyd . or simmilar in ~/.steam/ … for me is ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Eve Online/SharedCache/tq/bin64

2 Likes

Wow, so glad I started looking into this weeks ago then. Thanks everyone for reporting the issues with Sisi or we’d be way behind on this fix

3 Likes

I copied the file,and everything works even after a reboot. So the file being deleted seems to be different on different systems. On my system, it doesn’t get deleted.

This workaround works

1 Like

Working ty

it works

I just confirmed the patch submitted upstream works fine after today’s update without needing to move the launchdarkly library. Wine is notoriously difficult to get patches merged but hopefully it will land in time for 6.20.

3 Likes

You can just change auth to 444 and launcher wont delete it :wink:

2 Likes

Can you guys post on WineHQ Bugzilla – Bug 51821 – EVE Online Client Crashes Due to differences in how Wine and Windows handle LoadLibraryExW Undefined Behavior to say you’re affected by this? It may help get it confirmed/prioritized but I’m not sure how that usually works

2 Likes